What is Palm Springs, CA Like?

Old September 21st, 2006, 04:54 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Default What is Palm Springs, CA Like?

Rog' wrote:

That it would depend on the apprearance of one's torso. If you
are one of those folk with sunken chests, breasts, visible ribs or
scars, then no, you need to shirt-up... for the sake of humanity.
=R=

You are right Rog, I stand corrected. You know we see all types.

Janice

Old September 21st, 2006, 06:41 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

I like the feeling of going shirtless everywhere in warm to hot
weather. I'm not an exhibitionist or anything. The air and sun just
feels good on my skin. I don't feel encumbered by anything. I don't
sweat up my shirts. I don't need to do as much wash or buy as many
clothes that often. I feel like I'm on vacation without a shirt on. I
feel cool too. I don't know what others would think of my body and I
don't care much what they do. I don't think it is offensive although
family members do not like it when I visit shirtless, unless it's at
the beach. Did you know in Hawaii going shirtless and barefoot is
acceptable everyehere, including in stores?

Thank you again. I have identified places that I may want to go to on a
holiday or even move to. It sounds like I would really like the Palm
Springs area. Actually I dislike nightlife. I really like though having
the option to stay up late at night and hang out with friends, swim,
bike, look at the stars and get a hamburger at 3 am!
What does the average one bedroom apartment rent for? Is there an
inexpensive (under $4.00) public swimming pool (deep enough, 10 ft?,
for diving located in or close to Palm Springs?

We have a city swimming pool deep enough to diving and I think the
season pass may be $25.00 Don't quote me on that because it has been
quite some time since I went there for water aerobics. It can't be too
expensive. Most homes have pools and all apartment complexes would.

If you want a hamburger at 3 AM it would definitely have to be
drive-through at McDonald's or Taco Bell, not a good restaurant (well
at least that I know of).

I am not sure if you can get an apartment for under $750.00. It is
possible, I am just not in the rental business. You may be able to get
one in Cathedral City (the next city over) or in Desert Hot Springs
(city on other side of 10 freeway). I don't know what you consider
expensive. I do know that you can rent a decent two bedroom condo for
$1200/month. So to New Yorkers that could be cheap. To someone in
Nebraska it might be terribly expensive.

Most people complain because we have few street lights. I prefer it
because I dislike the light polution so star gazing would be quite fine
for you.

Why the question about going shirtless into stores? Is your chest that
fine that you think others would enjoy seeing it?

Janice

Old September 21st, 2006, 03:48 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Cathy Kearns

wrote in message
ps.com...
I like the feeling of going shirtless everywhere in warm to hot
weather. I'm not an exhibitionist or anything. The air and sun just
feels good on my skin. I don't feel encumbered by anything. I don't
sweat up my shirts. I don't need to do as much wash or buy as many
clothes that often. I feel like I'm on vacation without a shirt on. I
feel cool too. I don't know what others would think of my body and I
don't care much what they do. I don't think it is offensive although
family members do not like it when I visit shirtless, unless it's at
the beach. Did you know in Hawaii going shirtless and barefoot is
acceptable everyehere, including in stores?

I think the term you are looking for here is "allowed" not "acceptable".

Old September 21st, 2006, 04:09 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

wrote:
Thank you for your reply.
I have some more questions:

1. Is it acceptable for a man to walk around shirtless outside in
pubic? How about in stores and such? (I know about sunburn)

It's never acceptable in any city except on the beach.

2. Are people generally friendly? In some upscale towns I have been the
friendliness culture is not there. I mean is it friendly like Vermont?

Some are, some are not.

3. Are people generally status seekers like some other places?

Some are, some are not.

4. What is the crime situtation like. Are there areas to avoid in the
day or night? What kind of crime is typical? can I go a little out in
the desert and look at stars and not worry about someone attacking me?

Yes.

5. Are there bicycle paths?

Yes.

6. Is it open 24/7?

No.

7. What is the average price of a chineese dinner?

About $10.

8. Are there many celebrities around?

Yes. Depends on time of year.

What is Palm Springs Like? Here are my questions:

1. Is the setting spectacular with towering mountains all around?

The city of Palm Springs is built on the side of one mountain range
(going up to about 11,000 feet). There are different mountain ranges
all around. Hiking is fabulous. The community is very health minded.
Hiking, walking and bicycles are encouraged.

2. Is it expensive, in general?

To visit? To live?

3. Is it snobby?

In what way? For the most part people who live here mind their own
business. Palm Springs for the most part isn't part of the country
club mentality (go further down Valley for that, Rancho Mirage, Palm
Desert, La Quinta).

4. What does 100F with 10%humidity feel like?

Again, for a visit or because you want to move here? 100F is hot to
visitors. To locals many still get their 5 mile walks in after dark or
before dawn. Some even golf or play tennis in this weather. It is an
acclimation thing. This last summer was the worst we have had for some
time (as it was warmer worldwide) because our humidity was considerably
higher than 10%. I am not sure that I would believe anyone anymore
that we only have 10% humidity, but it sounds good for PR.

Any other information would be appreciated.

I have lived here almost 30 years and can't imagine living anywhere
else. If you have specific questions, please feel to write here or
privately.

Janice

Old September 21st, 2006, 04:14 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

No, "allowed" is not the term. It's not allowed in certain places to by
tissue paper on Sunday (this is true) but it's acceptable by the
community to do so. It's allowed to not to bring a small gift to a
person who invited you for dinner at their house but it's acceptable
that you do. Not perfect examples but you know what I meaqn.

Cathy Kearns wrote:
ps.com...

Old September 21st, 2006, 04:45 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Rita[_1_]

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 14:48:04 GMT, "Cathy Kearns"
wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...
I like the feeling of going shirtless everywhere in warm to hot
weather. I'm not an exhibitionist or anything. The air and sun just
feels good on my skin. I don't feel encumbered by anything. I don't
sweat up my shirts. I don't need to do as much wash or buy as many
clothes that often. I feel like I'm on vacation without a shirt on. I
feel cool too. I don't know what others would think of my body and I
don't care much what they do. I don't think it is offensive although
family members do not like it when I visit shirtless, unless it's at
the beach. Did you know in Hawaii going shirtless and barefoot is
acceptable everyehere, including in stores?

I think the term you are looking for here is "allowed" not "acceptable".

I think this guy is some kind of troll.

Old September 21st, 2006, 10:21 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Cathy Kearns

wrote in message
ups.com...
No, "allowed" is not the term. It's not allowed in certain places to by
tissue paper on Sunday (this is true) but it's acceptable by the
community to do so. It's allowed to not to bring a small gift to a
person who invited you for dinner at their house but it's acceptable
that you do. Not perfect examples but you know what I meaqn.

Okay, taking you at your word that you do care what the community thinks,
going shirtless indoors in shops or restaurants is not acceptable. In shops
it may be legal, though most malls, and all restaurants, have the "no shirt,
no shoes, no service" policy. But then again, I visit Maui at least a week
a year, and get the feeling that going shirtless in stores or restaurants
there is also unacceptable. This isn't to say there aren't guys that do
that, just to say there are many more people in the stores in Maui that look
at them like they find it offensive.

Cathy Kearns wrote:
ps.com...

Old September 21st, 2006, 10:40 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

Cathy Kearns wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Going shirtless (and shoeless) in a restaurant is against California
health codes.

Cathy Kearns wrote:
ps.com...

Old September 22nd, 2006, 02:01 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
clint

No one over thirty should ever go shirtless in public!
ups.com...

Rita wrote:
On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 14:48:04 GMT, "Cathy Kearns"
wrote:

ups.com...