First Trip to Italy

Old June 22nd, 2007, 06:55 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Viking

Default First Trip to Italy

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 19:30:03 +0200, B wrote:

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 17:48:32 +0100, Padraig Breathnach
wrote:

Herself is not by habit a haggler. But in Venice the devil whispered
in her ear and she haggled over the price of a dress. She won, getting
the dress at the price she had decided on, a reduction of about 25% on
the ticket price. The vendor showed great grace in giving her a free
Burano lace kerchief with it (of course the kerchief was factory-made,
but so what?).

I am sure that Barbara will confirm that haggling in Venice is not the
done thing. Perhaps it was the surprise element that led to her
success.

We were recently in a small town in Tuscany which is known for its
handblown crystal. I went into a shop while Marcello stayed outside to
watch the grass grow. I came out with a small purchase, not handblown,
but a little vase that cost 8 euro.

I told Marcello that I had seen a beautiful handblown vase inside that
was going for 700 euro. (This much was true.) Marcello said, Allora?
(well?). Then the devil whispered in *my* ear and I said , "They let
me have it for 500."

Heh. And Marcello's response?
Old June 22nd, 2007, 07:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
B Vaughan

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 20:08:54 +0200, Magda mags@de wrote:

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 13:55:52 -0400, in rec.travel.europe, Viking
arranged some electrons, so they looked like this:

... On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 19:30:03 +0200, B wrote:
... We were recently in a small town in Tuscany which is known for its
... handblown crystal. I went into a shop while Marcello stayed outside to
... watch the grass grow. I came out with a small purchase, not handblown,
... but a little vase that cost 8 euro.
... I told Marcello that I had seen a beautiful handblown vase inside that
... was going for 700 euro. (This much was true.) Marcello said, Allora?
... (well?). Then the devil whispered in *my* ear and I said , "They let
... me have it for 500."
... Heh. And Marcello's response?

A heart attack.

He knows me too well to believe it. Maybe he believed it for a
fraction of a second. What he actually said was, "I think you've been
in the sun too long."
--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old June 23rd, 2007, 04:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
B Vaughan

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 18:26:41 GMT, "jtc" wrote:

Well it seems we have a case of sometimes yes and sometimes
no...however I get the distinct impression that it is always discreet
and never seems like haggling as you would find in some other
countrues i.e. Mexico, Greece or Turkey.
Is that correct?

If your Italian is not fluent, it would be hard to bargain discreetly.
You would want to say something like, "It seems a bit too much."
Old June 24th, 2007, 03:12 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
UC

I have been reading the information on this board and have not seen a
discussion of when or where it may be appropriate to bargain on the
price of things.

Where are you from? More or less is as appropriate as bargaining in the
US. I was doing it in a photo shop in Chicago, with good results
(showing a printed page from Amazon.com displaying a *very* lower price
for the same item).

ciao, U.
Old June 24th, 2007, 03:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
B Vaughan

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 23:51:06 GMT, "jtc" wrote:

thanks that makes sense...

If your Italian is not fluent, it would be hard to bargain
discreetly.
You would want to say something like, "It seems a bit too much."

In touristy stores you might find shopkeepers who speak English.
Sometimes the prices in these shops are inflated, and maybe just an
expression of disappointment when you hear the price would be a
discreet indication that you find it excessive. Or you could try just
saying "TROppo" ("too much"), with a long "o", in a disappointed tone
of voice, and with a smile.
Old June 24th, 2007, 06:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
JohnT[_3_]

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 10:43:27 -0400, Greg Rozelle
wrote:

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 13:25:31 GMT, "jtc" wrote:

I have an upcoming trip to Italy in September, 2007. Cortona, Rome and
Milan are the areas where I will be.
I have been reading the information on this board and have not seen a
discussion of when or where it may be appropriate to bargain on the
price of things.
Some friends have mentioned that it is acceptable to ask if a price is
negotiable or they have indicated that some stores have signage that
declares the prices are firm.
Could someone advise if this is something that is done as a mater of
course or is it unusual and considered rude.
Thanks

Here on some tips.

Take two credit cards and two debit cards with both Mastercard and a
Visa logo.

Notify your banks that you will be using them in Italy.
Take your banks phone number incase you need to call them.
Debit cards usually have better foreign transaction fees at merchants.

1.00 EUR = 1.34695 USD plus foreign transaction fees.

http://www.ecb.int/stats/exchange/eu...ph-usd.en.html

EUR 1.00 = USD1.3441

It varies by the minute or even second.

Currently 1 Euro (EUR) = 1.34639 US Dollar (USD)

www.oanda.com
--

JohnT

Old June 25th, 2007, 09:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
jtc

I am from Minnesota... showing an ad with lower pricing is not the
same as trying to "bargain" the price down without it being the same
object you have found for less in an already advertised item...I am
not trying to be confused in this sitaution.
Negotiation is an art form and it is not always possible to show a
shop keeper that someone else has it cheaper.
thanks

--
jtc

. ..