England

Old April 21st, 2004, 03:58 PM
Tim Challenger

Default England

If a government were really interested in saving gas, a more sensible tax
would be on the projected miles per gallon basis for new cars when
purchased, a big stick rather than death by twigs.

It's not quite what you meant, I think, but in Austria the road tax for
cars is based on power output, and the first registration tax (NoVA) is
based on consumption figures.

--
Tim C.
Old April 21st, 2004, 04:09 PM
Yaofeng

The Reids wrote in message . ..

Whats your impression of the ratio overwight people in the two
countries?

I joke to friends that I can spot Yankees outside of the country not
only by the way they dress (most always in shorts) but also by their
size. They are most always one to several sizes bigger even if not
excessively overweight.
Old April 21st, 2004, 04:18 PM
Mike O'sullivan

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert_my_surname_here wrote in message
. ..

Our roads aren't big enough for a Hummer to fit on comfortably, but the
number of 4x4 vehicles has grown enormously over the past decade or so. I
like the view you get from them.

They handle speed bumps much better too.

Old April 21st, 2004, 04:19 PM
Mike O'sullivan

"Mark Hewitt" wrote in message

Wouldn't know about the economy! But your right, London is very expensive
compared with elsewhere in the UK. However for foreign tourists that is

all
they are likely to see.

For the record, 4th largest world economy.

Old April 21st, 2004, 05:10 PM
ted kell

In article ,
Fustanella wrote:
People are always saying that Vauxhalls are terrible cars but I think they
are quite decent cars.

We had one last year for a London-Stonehenge jaunt and liked it a lot.

Why do drivers not stick to the rules of roundabouts in the USA? They are
used all over Europe without problems.

Euro-style roundabouts are very rare in the US. Folks here simply aren't
used to them. Me, I love them, and would like to see more as I believe they
do handle traffic better than stodgy intersections.

Some years ago I ran into some of these in the Boston, MA area. There
was a local sport of getting between a driver and his exit, thus making
him go around a second time. I wonder if the same applies in the UK?

Ted

Old April 21st, 2004, 05:33 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Tim Challenger" "timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at" wrote in message
s.com...
On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 14:29:59 GMT, Bob Fusillo wrote:

When I was a lad, there was no speed limit on the open roads. Jaguars
regularly did 130 on the Motorways. Many people, I suppose, are still

living
in the past -- pehaps it is now built in to the British psyche.
rjf

The motorway speed limit was introduced during the oil crisis wasn't it?
Officially to cut fuel consumption but never revoked (of course).
--
Tim C.

I think you'll find it predates it by several years.

IRC the national limit was introduced in 1965 after
a number of horrendous crashes and a scandal
when a sports car manufacturer (Lola ?) was
revealed to be testing vehicles at 140 mph
on the M-1

A lower limit was introduced during the oil
crisis but later lifted.

Since the 70mph limit came into force most
cars have much better braking and steering system
and the current limits is seen as somewhat unreasonable.

A Vauxhall Vectra at 80mph is undoubtedly far
safer than a 1965 Vauxhall Victor was at 70.
Doing a crash stop on those old cars with their
drum brakes and no servo could end with your
brakes fading fast before you came to a halt.

Keith

Old April 21st, 2004, 05:36 PM
The Reids

Following up to Björn Olsson

Yes, but if US drivers were trained in the rules they would work
(give way to the right)

If that's the rule in US roundabouts, I think we've identified why they
don't work.

LOL, you have to reverse everything of course for the funny way
things are done in the US :-)
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old April 21st, 2004, 05:36 PM
The Reids

Following up to Olivers

I will admit that my two big SUVs, one a 2001, the other a 2004, get much
better gas mileage than my 1979 "estate wagon", much smaller, ever did. If
a government were really interested in saving gas, a more sensible tax
would be on the projected miles per gallon basis for new cars when
purchased, a big stick rather than death by twigs.

We have annual car tax lower for small engines, some tax or other
I forget varying for engine emissions and of course fuel tax,
between them they encourage most people to consider fuel
efficiency more than americans.
Old April 21st, 2004, 05:42 PM
a.spencer3

nightjar .uk.com nightjar@insert_my_surname_here wrote in message
. ..

Traditional Land Rovers, from the Series I to the Defender, are

sufficiently
uncomfortable that you can be fairly sure that anyone driving one has a
genuine need to do so. However, there are a lot of 4x4s about that don't

go
off road and wouldn't be much use if they did. Mine virtually never goes

off
road these days. However, as I have occasional need to tow a 1.4 tonne
trailer, I do need something with lots of power and a fair bit of weight

of
its own.

Have you not seen the TV ad where the lad 'cleans' his suburban 4x4 by
throwing muddy water over it!

Surreyman

Old April 21st, 2004, 05:57 PM
nightjar

"Tim Challenger" "timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at" wrote in message
s.com...
On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 14:29:59 GMT, Bob Fusillo wrote:

When I was a lad, there was no speed limit on the open roads. Jaguars
regularly did 130 on the Motorways. Many people, I suppose, are still

living
in the past -- pehaps it is now built in to the British psyche.
rjf

The motorway speed limit was introduced during the oil crisis wasn't it?

There was a series of major multiple accidents on the M1 (which, running
from a couple of junctions south of the M10 to a junction or two north of
the M45, was most of the motorway network at the time) in the early 1960s.
The Road Research Laboratory carried out an investigation into the effect of
speed limits and published its report in 1963. That report came down in
favour of speed limtis as a way of reducing the number of vehicles that
grossly exceed the set limit and also of reducing the relative speed of
traffic on the same road. The latter had been identified as a significant
cause of the accidents, although the fact that they happened in thick fog
was probably also relevant. The national speed limit, of 70mph for all
roads, was introduced on motorways in the summer of 1965 and on all other
roads shortly before Christmas 1965, timed to coincide with the don't drink
and drive campaign.

Officially to cut fuel consumption but never revoked (of course).

There was a reduction in the national limit during the fuel crisis, to try
to keep vehicles at or below 50mph, which had been identified as the maximum
efficient speed for most vehicles. After the fuel crisis, the current
two-tier system of 70mph on motorways and dual carriageways and 60mph on
single carriageways was introduced.

Colin Bignell