Thanksgiving in Europe

Old October 10th, 2004, 04:03 AM
Såndor, the Gypsy Baron

Boris wrote:

Ok, this may be a stupid question, but my
family and I will be in Germany over
Thanksgiving (an American holiday), and just
want to make sure that things will be open.
I'm assuming they don't celebrate this holiday
over there.

You're right--they don't celebrate that day. Therefore "things" are
open.

The follow up to this question is whether we
might be able to find a traditional
Thanksgiving meal in Germany, or is this type
of food not readily available.
No, I don't want to be an arrogant American,
and yes, I do want to experience Europe as a
pseudo european, but it would be nice to
have a traditional Thanksgiving dinner.

Try to get an invitation to the U.S. Embassy in Berlin. Of course,
getting in might be difficult. There's a new "Berlin Wall" and it's
around the U. S. Embassy. Shocking, isn't it?

Regards

Sandor

Old October 10th, 2004, 06:37 AM
Mxsmanic

Boris writes:

Ok, this may be a stupid question, but my family and I will be in
Germany over Thanksgiving (an American holiday), and just want to make
sure that things will be open. I'm assuming they don't celebrate this
holiday over there.

Correct. It's business as usual.

The follow up to this question is whether we might be able to find a
traditional Thanksgiving meal in Germany, or is this type of food not
readily available.

You can't have it both ways.

No, I don't want to be an arrogant American, and yes, I do want to
experience Europe as a pseudo european, but it would be nice to have a
traditional Thanksgiving dinner.

Then make sure you're in the U.S. on Thanksgiving.

One last question, my daughter will have her birthday while we are
there, is it appropriate to mention this at restaurants?

They probably won't care.

Old October 10th, 2004, 08:26 AM
Sacha

On 10/10/04 0:19, in article
, "Boris"
wrote:

Ok, this may be a stupid question, but my family and I will be in
Germany over Thanksgiving (an American holiday), and just want to make
sure that things will be open. I'm assuming they don't celebrate this
holiday over there.

Some restaurants might well serve a Thanksgiving type dinner as a sort of
'curiosity'. Your best bet is to do an Internet search for any restaurants
in the area you're visiting. And you could ask the travel agent, too and
the US Embassy in Berlin.

The follow up to this question is whether we might be able to find a
traditional Thanksgiving meal in Germany, or is this type of food not
readily available.

No, I don't want to be an arrogant American, and yes, I do want to
experience Europe as a pseudo european, but it would be nice to have a
traditional Thanksgiving dinner.

If it isn't possible, there's always next year at home! ;-)

One last question, my daughter will have her birthday while we are
there, is it appropriate to mention this at restaurants?

I should tell the restaurant when you reserve the table. On request they
might produce a special cake or be happy for you to bring one in from a good
gooey-cake shop which you could give to them to produce at the right moment,
having previously ordered the required number of glasses of Eiswein to be
chilled and waiting, too. ;-)
This site seems to have a lot of information on the different links:
http://www.germanculture.com.ua/libr...tedankfest.htm
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

Old October 10th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Wolfgang Schwanke

Wolfgang Schwanke wrote in
:

I'm not even
sure when Erntedankfest is celebrated as I'm in a city where it's not
observed, except that it's sometime in autumn.

But Google knows: First sunday in October. So it's over already.

Regards

--
Über alle Sektorengrenzen hinweg rollt Deine S-Bahn

http://www.wschwanke.de/ usenet_20031215 (AT) wschwanke (DOT) de