Thanksgiving in Europe

Old October 10th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Sacha

On 9/10/04 11:29, in article , "tim"
wrote:

"Boris" wrote in message
om...

The follow up to this question is whether we might be able to find a
traditional Thanksgiving meal in Germany, or is this type of food not
readily available.

What on earth is "this type of food"? What is it about this meal
that you expect not to be able to find. We have shops here,
IME they sell the same sort of fresh ingredients as an American
shop (even if the choice of prepared food is much more limited)

tim

Why are some peoples' responses to this innocuous question so peculiar?
'This type of food' is *obviously* the type of food that Americans eat at
one particular festive meal in the USA!
If an American hasn't travelled to Germany before, it is not unreasonable to
ask if the sort of food he is used to in combination at US Thanksgiving is
*perhaps* available there on what is, for Americans, an extremely important
family occasion. For example, would a German restaurant make all the side
dishes that go with roast turkey and potatoes? Would they provide a
spiral-cut ham? Do pecan and pumpkin pies feature on menus in Germany? How
about cranberry sauce and butternut squash? All of these in combination? Do
any restaurants where you live offer a Thanksgiving meal for visiting
Americans? That's all that's being asked, so why not answer helpfully? So
- in your area, are there any restaurants that would give Thanksgiving
dinners for visiting or resident Americans?

--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

Old October 10th, 2004, 02:20 PM
Go Fig

In article , Wolfgang Schwanke
wrote:

(Boris) wrote in
om:

Ok, this may be a stupid question, but my family and I will be in
Germany over Thanksgiving (an American holiday), and just want to make
sure that things will be open. I'm assuming they don't celebrate this
holiday over there.

There's "Erntedankfest" which comes from the same idea (to thank God for
the year's harvest),

Nope, Thanksgiving is uniquely American (not North American)

George Washington's
1789 Thanksgiving Proclamation

Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of
Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and
humbly to implore His protection and favor; and Whereas both Houses of
Congress have, by their joint committee, requested me "to recommend to
the people of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and
prayer, to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many
and signal favors of Almighty God, especially by affording them an
opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their
safety and happiness:"

Now, therefore, I do recommend and assign Thursday, the 26th day of
November next, to be devoted by the people of these States to the
service of that great and glorious Being who is the beneficent author
of all the good that was, that is, or that will be; that we may then
all unite in rendering unto Him our sincere and humble thanks for His
kind care and protection of the people of this country previous to
their becoming a nation; for the signal and manifold mercies and the
favorable interpositions of His providence in the course and conclusion
of the late war; for the great degree of tranquility, union, and plenty
which we have since enjoyed; for the peaceable and rational manner in
which we have been enable to establish constitutions of government for
our safety and happiness, and particularly the national one now lately
instituted' for the civil and religious liberty with which we are
blessed, and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful
knowledge; and, in general, for all the great and various favors which
He has been pleased to confer upon us.

And also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers
and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech
Him to pardon our national and other transgressions; to enable us all,
whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and
relative duties properly and punctually; to render our National
Government a blessing to all the people by constantly being a
Government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and
faithfully executed and obeyed; to protect and guide all sovereigns and
nations (especially such as have show kindness to us), and to bless
them with good governments, peace, and concord; to promote the
knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the increase of
science among them and us; and, generally to grant unto all mankind
such a degree of temporal prosperity as He alone knows to be best.

Given under my hand, at the city of New York, the 3d dy of October,
A.D. 1789.

jay
Sun Oct 10, 2004

but the cultural significance is not exactly the
same. It's observed only in rural parts, even there probably not
everywhere, and it doesn't have that element of nation-founding as it has
in the US. The exact traditions are different too. I'm not even sure when
Erntedankfest is celebrated as I'm in a city where it's not observed,
except that it's sometime in autumn.

The follow up to this question is whether we might be able to find a
traditional Thanksgiving meal in Germany, or is this type of food not
readily available.

You might find it near American communities or in places who cater for
American tourists, otherwhise no.

One last question, my daughter will have her birthday while we are
there, is it appropriate to mention this at restaurants?

Of course, why not?

Regards

Old October 10th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Jeremy Henderson

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 14:20:28 +0100, Sacha wrote:

On 9/10/04 11:29, in article , "tim"
wrote:

"Boris" wrote in message
[...]

No.

Next question?

J;

--
Encrypted e-mail address. Click to mail me:
http://cerbermail.com/?nKYh3qN4YG