Couple claims honeymoon cruise was ruined by shower that smelled like'poop'

Old January 18th, 2018, 11:54 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises, stl.general, alt.support.marriage, alt.bathroom,alt.society.liberalism
Travel Gazette

Default Couple claims honeymoon cruise was ruined by shower that smelled like'poop'

A couple from Missouri says their honeymoon cruise was ruined by
a shower drain back-up, leaving them to celebrate amid the smell
of “poop” inside their cabin.

Christine Parker and John Shoemaker, of St. Louis, detailed
their foul experience in November aboard the Carnival Triumph in
an interview with the Miami Herald, claiming unsanitary
conditions on the 14-deck, 893-foot mega-ship turned what should
have been a celebration into a potential health scare.

“We didn’t have a good honeymoon,” Parker told the newspaper.
“People expect you to come back so excited and we have been
fighting with the Carnival staff and smelling poop in our room.
We were exhausted and angry.”

To make matters even worse, Parker claimed crew members aboard
the ship acted as if the smelly black water was no big deal.

“I understand that that’s their job to minimize it,” Parker
said. “But what if that stuff had gotten into a cut on our feet
and we would have gotten an infection?”

Parker, who could not be reached for comment Wednesday, said the
vile black liquid bubbling out of the shower drain forced her
and her husband to use bathrooms in the ship’s spa during their
five-night trip.

Video shot by Parker also shows a crew member acknowledging that
something obviously isn’t right with the shower, saying, “This
is very bad and it smells very bad.”

For her troubles, Parker said Carnival offered her a $300 credit
to be used on the ship and 15 percent off her next cruise with
the company — which she doesn’t intend to book anytime soon.

The ship, which arrived back in south Florida on Nov. 11, was
later given a failing grade by inspectors from the Centers for
Disease Control and Prevention’s Vessel Sanitation Program.

Two other Carnival Cruise Line ships — the Breeze and the Vista,
the company’s newest vessel — failed similar inspections in
December, bringing the company’s tally to three failed
inspections within two months, according to the Herald.

A Miami-based maritime attorney told the newspaper that failed
inspections on cruise ships typically occur roughly two or three
times per year, making the rash of poor grades a rarity.

Violations aboard the ships included potentially dangerous food,
dirty dishware, improperly functioning machinery and overflowing
garbage bins near food-handling areas. In a statement to the
Herald, Carnival officials said they take the inspections “very
seriously” and that the Triumph has since been reinspected and
received a passing grade.

“We take these inspections very seriously and share lessons
learned and best practices with every ship in our fleet,”
Carnival spokeswoman Jennifer De La Cruz told the Miami Herald.
“We appreciate the work of [United States Public Health] in
identifying areas for improvement and we have taken immediate
action to address the issues identified during recent ship
inspections.”

Reports detailing what corrective measures Carnival officials
have taken aboard the Vista and Breeze have not yet been
submitted by the company, according to the Herald.

“Rest assured we will leverage our learnings from this process
as a best practice,” De La Cruz said. “We remain confident that
our shipboard operations, especially in food handling and
preparation, are of the highest quality and we are always
committed to delivering an exceptional experience to our guests.”

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2018/0...ims-honeymoon-
cruise-was-ruined-by-poop-
shower.html?intcmp=ob_article_footer_text&intcmp=o bnetwork