Oldest castles in southern Germany?

Old November 24th, 2008, 03:44 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

Default Oldest castles in southern Germany?

Hi I am travelled to Germany next year and I'm laying in some planning.

I really like visiting castles, the older the better. I plan to visit
Heidelburg, but I'm looking for your suggestions for others to visit in
the area of southern Germany, south of Frankfurt that is, particular in
Bavaria?

Thanks, please post
--
Dan Stephenson
Photos, movies, panos from the Europe, USA, plus N.Z.:

(remove nospam from email address to reply via email)

Old November 24th, 2008, 07:39 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_4_]

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 21:44:49 -0600, Dan Stephenson wrote in post :
news:2008112321444916807-stephedanospam@maccom :

Hi I am travelled to Germany next year and I'm laying in some planning.

I really like visiting castles, the older the better. I plan to visit
Heidelburg, but I'm looking for your suggestions for others to visit in
the area of southern Germany, south of Frankfurt that is, particular in
Bavaria?

Thanks, please post

Hohenzollern?
The Burg ruins at Teck near in the Swabian Alps near Stuttgart.
--
Tim C.
Old November 24th, 2008, 11:52 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Wiener Sänger

I really like visiting castles, the older the better. *I plan to visit
Heidelburg, but I'm looking for your suggestions for others to visit in
the area of southern Germany, south of Frankfurt that is, particular in
Bavaria?

I suppose you've been to the usual suspects, like Neuschwanstein and
Hohenschwangau ?

The oders are hier: http://www.schloesser-bayern.de/engl...cts/hch_ns.htm

Warm Regards,
Old November 24th, 2008, 05:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

wrote:

Hi I am travelled to Germany next year and I'm laying in some planning.

I really like visiting castles, the older the better. I plan to visit
Heidelburg, but I'm looking for your suggestions for others to visit in
the area of southern Germany, south of Frankfurt that is, particular in
Bavaria?

The Rhine valley south of Koeln has far more castles than you
would have time to visit. And they're nicely lined up and
available by cruise boat, highway or railway.

Old November 24th, 2008, 05:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 03:52:34 -0800 (PST), Wiener Sänger
wrote:

I really like visiting castles, the older the better. *I plan to visit
Heidelburg, but I'm looking for your suggestions for others to visit in
the area of southern Germany, south of Frankfurt that is, particular in
Bavaria?

I suppose you've been to the usual suspects, like Neuschwanstein and
Hohenschwangau ?

They're far from *old*, being 19th century.

Old November 24th, 2008, 05:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

wrote:

I really like visiting castles, the older the better. *I plan to visit
Heidelburg, but I'm looking for your suggestions for others to visit in
the area of southern Germany, south of Frankfurt that is, particular in
Bavaria?

I suppose you've been to the usual suspects, like Neuschwanstein and
Hohenschwangau ?

Gawd now you will have her telling us all that they aren't old.

Oh, oh.

Old November 24th, 2008, 05:46 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
michaelj

On Nov 23, 7:44*pm, Dan Stephenson wrote:
Hi I am travelled to Germany next year and I'm laying in some planning.

I really like visiting castles, the older the better. *I plan to visit
Heidelburg, but I'm looking for your suggestions for others to visit in
the area of southern Germany, south of Frankfurt that is, particular in
Bavaria?

Thanks, please post
--
Dan Stephenson
Photos, movies, panos from the Europe, USA, plus N.Z.:http://homepage.mac..com/stepheda

(remove nospam from email address to reply via email)

Just south from Frankfurt at Darmstadt are the ruins of the Burg
Frankenstein (maybe and maybe not connected to the Shelly novel).

From Heidelburg, the Castle road (L534) leads east where there a
several castles and a couple of them hotels like Hirschhorn and
Hornberg. Hornberg was the castle of Gotz Von Berlichigen (fought with
an iron glove in place of a hand lost in a tournament). Castle
Guttenberg is on either side of the river from Hornberg. Guttenberg a
well preserved Staufer castle with a falconry show. The watch towers
of Bad Wimphen just a little further are 14th century.

Head south from Stuttgart into Baden-Wurttemburg and Castle
Hohenzollern is at Hechingen and just down the road is Schloss
Sigmaringen the other Hohenzollern family castle with its massive
armor collection. These were older fortresses reconstructed in the
19th century as palace castles. For medieval ruins southwest at the
corner of Germany at Lorrach are the beautiful ruins of Burg Rotteln.
Most of the well known Bavarian castles are palaces, not really
castles. The Ludwig castles Neuschwantstein and Hohenschwangau are
near Fussen and indeed not so old. Continuing east is the small castle
at Katlenberg where the Kaltenberg Tournament is held in July. Also
not so old is the Neu Castle at Ingolstadt, but holds the Bavarian
Army museum collection. East of Munich on the Isar river, Harburg
Castle is one of the largest and best surviving early castles in the
south.

Back up toward Frankurt through Nuremberg and Rothenburg ob der Tauber
- not castles but the defense walls are well preserved and medieval
torture devices in the Criminal Museum in Rothenberg.

Castle Road
http://www.bargaintraveleurope.com/0...genstrasse.htm
Burg Guttenberg
http://www.bargaintraveleurope.com/0...Guttenberg.htm
Castle Hotels
http://www.bargaintraveleurope.com/B...tle_Hotels.htm
Kaltenberg
http://www.bargaintraveleurope.com/0...Tournament.htm
Rothenberg
http://www.bargaintraveleurope.com/0...der_Tauber.htm

Old November 24th, 2008, 05:54 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

wrote:

I really like visiting castles, the older the better. *I plan to visit
Heidelburg, but I'm looking for your suggestions for others to visit in
the area of southern Germany, south of Frankfurt that is, particular in
Bavaria?

I suppose you've been to the usual suspects, like Neuschwanstein and
Hohenschwangau ?

They're far from *old*, being 19th century.

Are you the resident harpy?

What do you mean?

Old November 24th, 2008, 06:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"Wiener Sänger" wrote in message

I really like visiting castles, the older the better. I plan to visit
Heidelburg, but I'm looking for your suggestions for others to visit in
the area of southern Germany, south of Frankfurt that is, particular in
Bavaria?

I suppose you've been to the usual suspects, like Neuschwanstein and
Hohenschwangau ?

To repeat a time team joke. "That isn't old, I've got shirts older than
that"

tim