Trains in Italy question (IR first class vs. IC/ES second class)

Old July 13th, 2004, 03:01 PM
Martin Bienwald

Default Trains in Italy question (IR first class vs. IC/ES second class)

cheated55 schrieb:

I would take as an example the prices from
Milano to Padova:

Type Duration Cost
IR ("interregional") 02:55 17,56(1st class)/11,21(2nd class)
IC("intercity") 02:31 17,77 (2nd class)
ES ("eurostar") 02:11 18,85 (2nd class)

Travelling by IR first class and IC or ES second class cost nearly the
same.. Which is best way?? IC and ES seem to have better trains
(specially ES)and the travel duration is shorter...
Is IR-second class too bad or I can consider travelling that way??

It's not particularly bad. Rather basic seating, no food/drinks sold on
board, but that's OK for a 3-hour trip IMO.

However, AFAIK there is no seat reservation in IR trains, and they may
be crowded during rush-hour.

I think that a "supplement" mus be payed for IC and ES trains?? Is it
already included in the prices detailed in Trenitalia's web??

Yes, the prices include supplement and seat reservation (where available).

How and when are they paid???

You can buy your ticket at ticket offices and self-service machines.
The machines have an English language option, are rather straightforward
to use, and accept major credit cards and cash.

AFAIK there is a surcharge for buying your ticket on the train.

.... Martin

Old July 13th, 2004, 04:56 PM
B Vaughan

On 13 Jul 2004 06:19:36 -0700, (cheated55)
wrote:

Hi,

I'm going to Italy on holydays next week. I have decided to travel by
train cause I find it the cheapest way. I have been giving a look at
types of trains and prices (
www.trenitalia.com) and have several
questions about that. I would take as an example the prices from
Milano to Padova:

Type Duration Cost
IR ("interregional") 02:55 17,56(1st class)/11,21(2nd class)
IC("intercity") 02:31 17,77 (2nd class)
ES ("eurostar") 02:11 18,85 (2nd class)

Travelling by IR first class and IC or ES second class cost nearly the
same.. Which is best way?? IC and ES seem to have better trains
(specially ES)and the travel duration is shorter...
Is IR-second class too bad or I can consider travelling that way??

There is nothing wrong with IR second class. It will stop lots of
places and it won't be air conditioned. If it is very hot, I would
certainly prefer the ES for such a long journey. However, just now the
weather is rather on the cool side here.

ES 2nd class is certainly much better than IR 1st class.

I think that a "supplement" mus be payed for IC and ES trains?? Is it
already included in the prices detailed in Trenitalia's web?? How and
when are they paid???

The prices on trenitalia's web site include supplements, and in the
case of the ES they also include the cost of the mandatory seat
reservation. If you want an optional seat reservation on the IC train,
you have to pay extra.

You can buy the tickets at the station, either from an agent or from
the ticket machine. You can also buy them from some travel agents. If
you can manage to register on the trenitalia site (on the Italian
language page only) you can buy an electronic ticket FOR ES TRAINS
ONLY on the web site. (This is called "ticketless" travel.) In this
case, you must buy the ticket with a credit card issued in your name
and you must have ID with the same name that's on the credit card. You
give the conductor your reservation number and show your ID. You
should print out the reservation page and carry it with you in case of
problems. The page will give the carriage number and seat number of
your reserved place.
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it