South India, Lonely Planet or Rough Guide?

Old November 21st, 2004, 11:17 PM
indonotabi

Default South India, Lonely Planet or Rough Guide?

Hi, I'll visit southern part of India for a couple of month in early
2005. I have no intention to travel to northern India. I've already
bought Lonely Planet India but soon I realized I need more details on
south India. Initially I was going to buy LP south India but current
edition is a bit old and I found Rough Guide south India has a new
edition. I am basically a budget, shoe-string traveller. I've been to
more than 20 countries always with LP. I've never bought or read the
Rough guide book. I currently live where there's no book shop to
sample the Rough Guide book. Mainly I need a info on
budget(cheap)accomodation and how to get around. Does the Rough Guide
book has a list of budget(cheap)accomodations. Do you recommend the
Rough Guide book or I should stick to the old editon(2001) of LP?
Sincerely
Old November 21st, 2004, 11:53 PM
Jan

indonotabi wrote:
Hi, I'll visit southern part of India for a couple of month in early
2005. I have no intention to travel to northern India. I've already
bought Lonely Planet India but soon I realized I need more details on
south India. Initially I was going to buy LP south India but current
edition is a bit old and I found Rough Guide south India has a new
edition. I am basically a budget, shoe-string traveller. I've been to
more than 20 countries always with LP. I've never bought or read the
Rough guide book. I currently live where there's no book shop to
sample the Rough Guide book. Mainly I need a info on
budget(cheap)accomodation and how to get around. Does the Rough Guide
book has a list of budget(cheap)accomodations. Do you recommend the
Rough Guide book or I should stick to the old editon(2001) of LP?
Sincerely

Buy a copy of Footprints Handbook India, and take it with you, this is by
far the best guide. Don't bother with the others.
You'll meet other travellers with the LP and RG...just ask them if you can
have a quick look at theirs .

Jan

Old November 22nd, 2004, 12:08 AM
Alfred Molon

In article , indonotabi
says...
Hi, I'll visit southern part of India for a couple of month in early
2005. I have no intention to travel to northern India. I've already
bought Lonely Planet India but soon I realized I need more details on
south India. Initially I was going to buy LP south India but current
edition is a bit old and I found Rough Guide south India has a new
edition. I am basically a budget, shoe-string traveller. I've been to
more than 20 countries always with LP. I've never bought or read the
Rough guide book. I currently live where there's no book shop to
sample the Rough Guide book. Mainly I need a info on
budget(cheap)accomodation and how to get around. Does the Rough Guide
book has a list of budget(cheap)accomodations. Do you recommend the
Rough Guide book or I should stick to the old editon(2001) of LP?

I just bought the Footprint guide for India, which is light years ahead
of the LP India. It's much better structured, already was an excellent
India guide 10 years ago and has been improved since then.

A pity no Footprint guide for China exists (had to buy the LP one).
--

Alfred Molon

http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm - Photos from Myanmar, Brunei,
Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Egypt, Germany, Austria,
Prague, Budapest and Portugal

Old November 22nd, 2004, 07:54 AM
indonotabi

Buy a copy of Footprints Handbook India, and take it with you, this is by
far the best guide. Don't bother with the others.
You'll meet other travellers with the LP and RG...just ask them if you can
have a quick look at theirs .

Jan

Thanks Jan,
I've never heard of it.I took a look at amazon.com and it looks good
to me. Alas current edition of Footprint South India is also a bit
old(almost 4 years old) plus it takes too long to get delivered to
where I live.
Thanks anyway.

Sincerely
Old November 22nd, 2004, 10:00 AM
Jan

indonotabi wrote:
Buy a copy of Footprints Handbook India, and take it with you, this
is by far the best guide. Don't bother with the others.
You'll meet other travellers with the LP and RG...just ask them if
you can have a quick look at theirs .

Jan

Thanks Jan,
I've never heard of it.I took a look at amazon.com and it looks good
to me. Alas current edition of Footprint South India is also a bit
old(almost 4 years old) plus it takes too long to get delivered to
where I live.
Thanks anyway.

Sincerely

In my experience even a 4 year old footprint guide will still be more
relevant than the others ;-)

The India 13 edition was published in June 2004, get that one.
see www.footprints.com

Jan

Old November 22nd, 2004, 10:05 AM
indonotabi

Buy a copy of Footprints Handbook India, and take it with you, this is by
far the best guide. Don't bother with the others.
You'll meet other travellers with the LP and RG...just ask them if you can
have a quick look at theirs .

Jan

Jan,

I just realized that I can buy the Footprints Handbook South India
after I get there. I've been living in an isolated place sort of.
Thanks,

Sincerely
Old November 22nd, 2004, 03:41 PM
Iceman

Hi, I'll visit southern part of India for a couple of month in early
2005. I have no intention to travel to northern India. I've already
bought Lonely Planet India but soon I realized I need more details on
south India. Initially I was going to buy LP south India but current
edition is a bit old and I found Rough Guide south India has a new
edition. I am basically a budget, shoe-string traveller. I've been to
more than 20 countries always with LP. I've never bought or read the
Rough guide book. I currently live where there's no book shop to
sample the Rough Guide book. Mainly I need a info on
budget(cheap)accomodation and how to get around. Does the Rough Guide
book has a list of budget(cheap)accomodations. Do you recommend the
Rough Guide book or I should stick to the old editon(2001) of LP?
Sincerely

If decent cheap accomodation is your priority, definitely avoid the
LP. The LP is by far the most common guidebook in India, and the
places it recommends will tend to fill up, or to raise their prices
after being swarmed with travellers.

I don't know the RG India, but RG series tends to be very strong on
transportation information.
Old November 22nd, 2004, 11:13 PM
indonotabi

Geez, Thanks people I've actually ordered the 4 year old Footprint
Handbook South India on line. How come I never knew this guide book
until I posted here. It's likely that I'd been always surround by sad
and lonely "Lonely Planet" crowds. I've visited the Footprint website
and so on. I'm already convinced that the Handbook is light years
ahead of "LP" or "RG". Another words, F... them.

Sincerely