Transport Naples --> Solofra

Old October 14th, 2003, 07:40 PM
Juliana L Holm

Default Transport Naples --> Solofra

Going to Italy next year, want to visit the towns that my grandfather and
great-grandparents came from, Solofra. Anyone know if there is any public
transport to it?

Is there a bus/train web site for Italy like there is in Germany? If so what
is it?

Julie

--
Julie
**********
Old October 14th, 2003, 09:12 PM
tile

pls go to

www.solofrastorica.it
it is in english too.

Old October 14th, 2003, 09:19 PM
tile

apparently it is about 20kms from Naples and about 15 kms from avellino
so it will not be so difficult to reach this small town
apparently it is very famous fro leather suits

Old October 14th, 2003, 10:15 PM
Juliana L Holm

Thanks, I had found it on a map, so I knew where it was. I know there is a
church there my great-grandparents were married in.

I am trying to figure out if I should arrange to rent a car. I prefer to
use public transport in Europe.

Thanks also for the web site.

Julie

Old October 15th, 2003, 06:15 AM
tile

there are many other webpages about Solofra..
as it looks like, it is a famous place..
there will be for sure bus connections from naples
or avellino or salerno

just type
solofra in any search engine
you will be surprised..
I had never heard about it before !!!!

Old October 15th, 2003, 08:38 AM
Giovanni Drogo

On 14 Oct 2003, Juliana L Holm wrote:

great-grandparents came from, Solofra. Anyone know if there is any public
transport to it?

There is public transport almost to every place which is not utterly
tiny. I've never been to Solofra, but I heard about it to be a renowned
place for leather factories, so it should not be tiny ...

Is there a bus/train web site for Italy like there is in Germany?
If so what is it?

no/yes and yes yes ! :-)

There is no COMPREHENSIVE web site for BUSES, each company may or may
not have its own, and it won't be obvious to find bus timetables and
stops until you are on the spot.

There are web sites for trains, starting from the official
www.trenitalia.it, but I prefer to use the German site even for internal
routes, faster and nicer, use the interface at
http://home.arcor.de/e.lauterbach/au...fplanx-en.html

(just found some Napoli-Solofra trains there !(

is a newsreading account used by more persons to

Old October 15th, 2003, 10:05 AM
www.summerinitaly.com

Dear Julie,

probably there is not a comprehensive bus web site for Italy, but the
information you are looking for are probably at http://www.sita-on-line.it/
..

Specifically, you might want to look at
http://www.sita-on-line.it/CampaniaTPL.html for the time tables of Campania
(the region where Solofra is), and even more specifically, at
http://www.sita-on-line.it/ORARI-CAM...02/quadro1.PDF ,
which is the time table for the bus that goes from the city of Salerno to
the city of Avellino, and also stops in Solofra.

If you would like to have further details feel free to post your request at
http://www.summerinitaly.com/forum -- where I will definitely see it (I'm
only on the newsgroup every now and then :-)).

Ciao!!

Luca

_________________________________
Win a free week in Italy at
http://www.summerinitaly.com

Old October 15th, 2003, 01:56 PM
Juliana L Holm

Thank you! We are considering staying in Solofra and visiting Naples on day
trips instead of the other way around. I will use the web sites.

Julie

Old October 15th, 2003, 01:57 PM
Juliana L Holm

Thank you, thank all of you!

--
Julie
**********
Old October 15th, 2003, 03:28 PM
webpecker

On 15 Oct 2003 12:56:48 GMT, Juliana L Holm
wrote:

Thank you! We are considering staying in Solofra and visiting Naples on day
trips instead of the other way around. I will use the web sites.

Travelling from Solofra to Naples, by car or by public means, takes
hours, literally...

Are you sure? Solofra it's a small, rich town with plenty of tanneries
and badly smelling everywere. You feel the stink even just transiting
on the near highway...

I suppose that the (few) hotels there are not the best value for your
money, because the businesses. However Solofra isn't really
confortable as a base for visiting Naples...

If you like to stay in a hotel out of Naples, and I could agree, I
suggest to stay in the Villa dei Misteri in Pompeii, 10 metres
distance from both the Circumvesuviana rail-station
(http://www.vesuviana.it/home.asp means around Vesuvius) and from the
archaeological site (Villa dei Misteri gate). Very reasonably priced,
include a swimming pool... I stay there especially when travelling by
car, park there and comfortably travel back to Naples or toward
Sorrento, Amalfi etc...
Going from Pompeii to Naples, by car or by public means, takes approx
10 min.

Another suggestion:

Metrņ del Mare (metropolitan sea transport) a navigation system that
covers the Campania coastline and Capri... I'm not sure if it's
operating in wintertime. http://www.metrodelmare.com/inglese/

here you can check rates and destinations:
http://www.metrodelmare.com/tariffe.html

cheers, webpecker