Immigration patrols on domestic Amtrak

Old August 6th, 2007, 05:30 AM posted to misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
Adam H. Kerman

Default Post office accounting

DaveW wrote:
Merritt Mullen wrote:
"Adam H. Kerman" wrote:
Hatunen wrote:

Do the proceeds from postage sales go into Treasury, and are they
earmarked somehow for wages?

I asked.

Post office income remains segregated as postal funds and isn't paid to
the Treasury (except for specific federal programs the post office must
contribute to, like pensions). The post office administers its own
payroll. I don't know if postal retirees get federal pensions like other
federal employees.

So I stand corrected. Unlike my civil service paycheck, a postal employee
pay check is NOT from the "U.S. Treasury."

My bad.

Really? Back when I was working in retail banking and our branch was
right next to the Post Office, we had quite a few PO employees that
would come in to deposit their checks, and they were US Treasury checks,
looking for all the world like an income tax refund check, a green IBM
card in the early days, and the Statue of Liberty multi-colored checks
starting in the mid 1990s.

But it has been 10 years since I was working in a bank branch. Even
then, towards the end of my stint, most of the PO employees had gone to
direct deposit.

I suppose it could have changed.

I asked current postal employees.
Old August 6th, 2007, 05:57 AM posted to alt.culture.ny-upstate,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
Merritt Mullen

Default Requirements to have Social Security Numbers

In article S5tti.1558$9F4.522@trndny04,
"Candide" wrote:

I wonder what would happen if an illegal alien happened to keep
excellent records of his employment and at some point attempted to
correct his employment history records.

That is exactly the point,and you just know the ACLU or some other left
attorney will find a sympatric judge who will order the SSA to pony up
to such a person and or his heirs, then the flood gates will be opened.

The fact that a person is an "illegal alien" has no bearing on whether
they are owed SS benefits. Many illegal alien pay income and SS tax, not
only because they are required to, but because they think it may someday
help achieve US citizenship.

But citizen or not, if they have a valid SS account, and have met the
deposit requirements, they are owed the benefits.

It would not take the ACLU to get the SSA to pay. The SS system does not
consider citizenship when awarding benefits. In fact, you do not even have
to be living in the US.

Merritt
Old August 6th, 2007, 06:07 AM posted to alt.culture.ny-upstate,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
Merritt Mullen

In article . com,
Sapphyre wrote:

when I apply for jobs in Canada right now, I produce my Canadian
Citizenship ID card (It does not provide birth information or previous
nationality), along with my SIN card (think SSN if you're in the US),
and my argument is that I've provided sufficient proof that I'm
legally allowed to work in Canada. Most jobs will not discriminate
against permanent residents (versus citizens), unless they are
specific government jobs. But some employers, do not want to hire
foreigners to work for them. There are a lot of people in some
communities (like near where I live), that do not want foreigners
around, so it's harder for them to get jobs because of a social
stigma, not because of laws.

Heck, it used to be that in Ontario, they didn't want to hire you if you
came from Quebec and had a French name. Of course, originating in some
British commonwealth countries caused the same problem. Maybe that has
changed now.

I remember standing in the Avis car rental line at Toronto airport and the
Avis employee refusing to rent to a person who spoke French. Funny thing
is, the customer was actually from France, not Quebec. The rental car
employee actually said something to the effect that he wouldn't be served
if he insisted on speaking that "filthy language."

Merritt
Old August 6th, 2007, 07:20 AM posted to alt.culture.ny-upstate,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
Adam H. Kerman

Merritt Mullen wrote:
"Candide" wrote:

I wonder what would happen if an illegal alien happened to keep
excellent records of his employment and at some point attempted to
correct his employment history records.

That is exactly the point,and you just know the ACLU or some other left
attorney will find a sympatric judge who will order the SSA to pony up
to such a person and or his heirs, then the flood gates will be opened.

The fact that a person is an "illegal alien" has no bearing on whether
they are owed SS benefits. Many illegal alien pay income and SS tax, not
only because they are required to, but because they think it may someday
help achieve US citizenship.

But it wouldn't be under their own SSN, unless it was issued in the days
before Congress made SSA crack down on issuing such numbers.

But citizen or not, if they have a valid SS account, and have met the
deposit requirements, they are owed the benefits.

With an employment history under their own name on SSA records?
Old August 6th, 2007, 08:02 AM posted to alt.culture.ny-upstate,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
Sapphyre

Default Canadian (was: Requirements to have Social Security Numbers)

On Aug 5, 11:01 pm, "Adam H. Kerman" wrote:
If you didn't want Usenet to know, why did you write that? The
description in that paragraph applies to exactly one country.

I figured someone would either know or guess... and took that chance.
All the people I've known are too stupid to know anything about my
country at all. Feel free to email if you want to discuss this further
(off usenet). I can think of a few places that have civil war, but
they probably don't make the news quite as much...

In any event, while travelling with an EU passport, (and being
Canadian PR) birthplace was easily overlooked or disregarded. Also my
PR card has my nationality as (European), not where I was born, since
my mother was born in Europe, and that's how I obtained citizenship.
The thing is, at the time I naturalized I didn't take steps to
maintain that citizenship (if that was even possible), so I'm now
exclusively a Canadian citizen. The Canadian passport shows
birthplace, so the fact that I was formerly an EU citizen is of no
relevance to the CBP, they just see the birthplace on my passport, and
my Canadian Citizenship ID card shows I naturalized in 2004, so
suddenly they want to know how long I've been in Canada, and all sorts
of other things that never mattered before. And for them, it seems
that anyone who may have more than one nationality is a concern to
them.

It's just a mess, and part of me wonders if I should have not bothered
to naturalize... I just can't bear the thought of calling anywhere but
Canada "home", I want this to be home for life, and if I leave, I want
it to be temporary, something that has to be carefully regarded while
holding PR status. Fortunately my spouse is an EU citizen, and with a
lot of red tape and paperwork, I'll be an EU citizen again (of a
different country), so what's lost is not permanent... I just won't
use that passport to enter the US, or I'm sure to get the grilling of
my life. They'll think I'm hiding from something again.

S.

Old August 6th, 2007, 08:09 AM posted to alt.culture.ny-upstate,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
Sapphyre

On Aug 6, 1:07 am, Merritt Mullen wrote:
Heck, it used to be that in Ontario, they didn't want to hire you if you
came from Quebec and had a French name. Of course, originating in some
British commonwealth countries caused the same problem. Maybe that has
changed now.

I live in Ontario, but not in a very bilingual region. In Ottawa, the
native French speakers are sucking up all the bilingual jobs since the
English native speakers often can't cut the mustard with their French
unless they grew up French, went to French school, or spent time
living in Quebec to hone their grammar. My mother was a French major
at university (in Ontario) and couldn't get a bilingual job, but she
works where French speaking is mandatory, but does not have the raise
benefits of being bilingual, or is not eligible to any "fluent
mandatory" jobs. They have levels A-B-C for the Federal government and
tests to go with that to determine a person's level of fluency. My mom
barely scrapes by the C after spending four years of University (which
took her 6 years part time) taking French.

I remember standing in the Avis car rental line at Toronto airport and the
Avis employee refusing to rent to a person who spoke French. Funny thing
is, the customer was actually from France, not Quebec. The rental car
employee actually said something to the effect that he wouldn't be served
if he insisted on speaking that "filthy language."

There's supposed to be a "right to be served in the language of your
choice" but that's not exercised very well. Before 9/11 and all the
heightened security, a friend of mine decided in Montreal to exercise
his right to do Customs forms in French and be served in French. US
Customs found this none too amusing and gave him an I-94 with a two
day stay in the US (for his confence that he was attending), the I-94
to go with his return ticket. He was mad, saying now "Canadian
citizens don't have to do this form, and I had a right to be served in
French." I said, "you don't even understand French, you kind of got
what you deserved there..."

I speak French acceptably and I only exercise that in Quebec with
people who are native French speakers since it's easier to communicate
with them in their language. But I wouldn't be demanding services in
French seeing as how I'm fluent in English.

S.

Old August 6th, 2007, 04:35 PM posted to alt.culture.ny-upstate,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
John Kane

On Aug 6, 3:09 am, Sapphyre wrote:
On Aug 6, 1:07 am, Merritt Mullen wrote:

Heck, it used to be that in Ontario, they didn't want to hire you if you
came from Quebec and had a French name. Of course, originating in some
British commonwealth countries caused the same problem. Maybe that has
changed now.

I live in Ontario, but not in a very bilingual region. In Ottawa, the
native French speakers are sucking up all the bilingual jobs since the
English native speakers often can't cut the mustard with their French
unless they grew up French, went to French school, or spent time
living in Quebec to hone their grammar.

I wonder what I did? Four years Ontario highschool, then, 20 years
later one night course at l'Academie Française and no problem getting
4 C's . It's not that hard a test. Oops forgot. A month's vacation
in France.

Old August 6th, 2007, 05:49 PM posted to alt.culture.ny-upstate,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
Sapphyre

On Aug 6, 11:35 am, John Kane wrote:
I wonder what I did? Four years Ontario highschool, then, 20 years
later one night course at l'Academie Française and no problem getting
4 C's . It's not that hard a test. Oops forgot. A month's vacation
in France.

Languages are not something everyone has an aptitude for... and being
in a situation where you are forced to speak the language makes it
easier to learn than to just take classes. My mother should have lived
in Quebec for a while and worked in Ontario, she might have learnt
French better if she stayed in Quebec. She insisted she didn't want to
live there, but kept applying for jobs that were in the Federal
Portage buildings on the Quebec side of the border.

I lived in Quebec (although did not do school in French, just a few
basic classes), and I seem to do okay when it comes to general
conversation, but my reading and writing sucks the bag. I learnt my
French by being forced to speak, classes to teach me how to spell and
write properly might have been a good idea.

Oh well, I don't need any French where I live, and what experience I
do have (listening and speaking) is still considered an asset since I
work mostly retail/service environment.

S.

Old August 6th, 2007, 06:41 PM posted to alt.culture.ny-upstate,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 05:07:20 GMT, Merritt Mullen
wrote:

In article . com,
Sapphyre wrote:

[...]

That must have been in the days when the Anglos in Montreal would
tell the francophones to "speak white".

Old August 7th, 2007, 06:35 AM posted to alt.culture.ny-upstate,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
Merritt Mullen

In article ews.net,
"Adam H. Kerman" wrote:

Merritt Mullen wrote:
"Candide" wrote:

I wonder what would happen if an illegal alien happened to keep
excellent records of his employment and at some point attempted to
correct his employment history records.

That is exactly the point,and you just know the ACLU or some other left
attorney will find a sympatric judge who will order the SSA to pony up
to such a person and or his heirs, then the flood gates will be opened.

The fact that a person is an "illegal alien" has no bearing on whether
they are owed SS benefits. Many illegal alien pay income and SS tax, not
only because they are required to, but because they think it may someday
help achieve US citizenship.

But it wouldn't be under their own SSN, unless it was issued in the days
before Congress made SSA crack down on issuing such numbers.

Or they at one time had a work permit and a valid SSN and simply
overstayed their permitted time, thereby becoming illegal. Or they left
the country, but returned illegally.

But citizen or not, if they have a valid SS account, and have met the
deposit requirements, they are owed the benefits.

With an employment history under their own name on SSA records?

Yes. See above. Once you get the card/account legally, I don't think
there is any process for voiding your account.

I agree the circumstances would be a bit atypical.

Merritt