Gas prices in Spain and other questions

Old May 4th, 2004, 06:47 PM
Graham Hill

Default Gas prices in Spain and other questions

This group was very helpful in suggesting interesting sites to visit during
our up coming trip to Spain, a bit more help...please!

First, is it better (cheaper) to rent a car in Canada rather than in Madrid?
As anyone done comparisons between here and there? Any recommendations as to
Car Rental Companies?
Second, what is the rough price of gas in and around Madrid Spain.
Third, in general what is driving in Spain like compared to Canada, i.e.,
radar, courtesy, treatment of pedestrians or any other driving connected
thoughts anyone might have.

Hoping for some insights,

Sincerely,
Graham Hill
Coquitlam, BC
Canada

Old May 4th, 2004, 08:05 PM
robert.clark

Hi Graham - a fellow Canadian here, although I live in Belgium.

I have recently returned from a 10-day holiday in southern Spain - not Madrid -
we were on the Costa de la Luz (Atlantic coast, near Cadiz ... a short drive to
Cadiz, Jerez, Seville, etc.)

We rented a car for 6 days while we were there. I just did it from a small
local company, although big chains ... Hertz, National, etc., are around too. I
think you would need to check the internet for comparisons ... there are lots of
variables.

You will need an International Driver Permit to accompany your provincial DL, in
order to drive anywhere in Europe. CAA is the issuing agency for Canada. Also,
realize that rental cars (actually, all cars, rental or not) are almost always
"manual" shift in Europe. If you really can only drive automatic, you can
probably pre-arrange one from major companies through airport office ... but
they will be very expensive!

Gasoline - about EUR 0,85 /ltr for basic unleaded ("95" rating.) Premium
unleaded ("98") is a few centimes more expensive ... but it's a rental! As
expensive as this sounds compared to Canada, it is actually quite inexpensive
for Europe ... in Belgium the "95" goes for EUR 1,05 /ltr or so. More of the
true costs of car ownership are passed to owners here!

Driving. Well, there are some quirks to European rules, but I think Spain is
closer to Canadian road-rules than Belgium (or France, NL, Germany, etc.,) are.
Most of Europe uses the "priority from the right" rule ... intersections that
are not otherwise lighted tend to be completely unsigned, and your ability to
determine the priority rule, usually at high speeds while several cars try to
enter a crossroad simultaneously from all directions, becomes the key to
survival. Spain, on the other hand, actually uses things like stop-signs and
yield-signs to regulate cross-roads, much as we do in Canada, in more-or-less
logical fashion. So I may be oversimplifying driving in Spain ... as an
accomplished "priorte a la droite" driver, it was very relaxing ... but coming
straight from NA will no doubt have more adjustments.

Round-abouts are frequent throughout Europe and Spain. People already "in" the
circle have priority over people entering (unless, and signed otherwise.) On
multi-lane circles, don't timidly hug the outside lane, unless you are intending
to take the first exit ... others in or waiting to enter will assume if you are
in the outside circle that you indeed are taking that first exit ... and when
you don't behave as predicted you increase your odds of a fender-bender. Move
into an interior lane, and then peel-out to the outside circle as you come
around to your exit. Circles are always very well signed in advance (how the
exits are arranged and where they go) but there is no shame in circling a few
times if that is what it takes to get through safely!

The highways seemed pretty standard, travelled at good speed though not
excessive. Lots of Guardia Civil on fast patrol motorcycles. I did find that
some on-ramps were surprisingly short on highways, sometimes very little space
to get to highway speed and merge into the flow.

In small towns you will find roads to be extremely narrow. Even in major
cities, especially residential areas where parked cars clog everything down,
There's a reason why everyone drives cars with dinged doors! Don't forget to
fold your wing mirror in for tight passing or parking. For navigating in a
city, you must completely forget the North American paradigm of a 'square' ...
roads are simply not laid out at right-angles. While 4 right turns will almost
always take you back where you started in a Canadian city, in a Spanish city you
will end-up two districts away with no ability to retrace against the one-way
streets that took you there. (Well, you are better off in Spain than in Belgium
.... here 4 right turns can just as easily put you into another country!)

A good resource for doing some route planning in advance - www.mappy.com

Enjoy your trip. We loved Spain, and plan to return!

Rob.

Old May 5th, 2004, 01:05 AM
devil

On Tue, 04 May 2004 21:05:07 +0200, robert.clark wrote:

You will need an International Driver Permit to accompany your provincial DL, in
order to drive anywhere in Europe. CAA is the issuing agency for Canada.

This issue comes up regularly on this newsgroup. I think the consensus is
that it's supposed to be needed if police stops you in Italy, Spain and
possibly one more country (Austria?). Not elsewhere.

I certainly have driven in a number of countries, and at least in France
been stopped by police, without one, and it has never been a problem. I
don't believe it's required in France or Germany or the Netherlands either.

Also,
realize that rental cars (actually, all cars, rental or not) are almost always
"manual" shift in Europe. If you really can only drive automatic, you can
probably pre-arrange one from major companies through airport office ... but
they will be very expensive!

The majors will routinely provide you with an automatic. More expensive,
sure; quite a bit actually. But they are quite common with rental car
outfits. It often happens that even though you booked a cheaper, standard,
you end up getting an automatic, in my experience 30-40% of the time if
you book a full size. Of course, you can't count on this happening. :-)

As to where to book, again the majors segment the market according to
place of residence or more precisely to the location where you physically
are when booking. Quoting from a Hertz confirmation:

"This reservation is based on information you have provided Hertz,
including information regarding your current geographic location. Hertz
reserves the right to demand proof of what you have told us. In
particular, if you have indicated that you are located outside your
country of residence, you may, at the time of rental, be required to prove
where you were when this reservation was made, through evidence such as an
air or rail carrier ticket receipt, a hotel bill or a utility bill
addressed to you at the location where you say you were. Failure to
provide such substantiation may invalidate the rates you have been quoted,
or invalidate the entire reservation. Providing false information to
Hertz in connection with this reservation would also breach your rental
agreement and could violate the law."

(I would take the last bit, about "violating the law" with a grain of
salt. A dose of intimidation there.)

But the rates can vary widely depending upon the location/place of
residence specified. So it pays to shop around.

Smaller outfits based in Spain but with no major chain affiliation may
have a uniform pricing model though. You might actually find them on the
web. Anyway, it pays to shop around, and the web works well. You can try
the majors direct; odds are you may have a discount number floating
around, such as, from some organization that you might belong with, or
Aeroplan. Even if you don't have one, in my experience, they never check,
although I would not use an Aeroplan code if I don't have an Aeroplan
number.

Some folks very strongly advocate consolidators such as Auto Europe (not
to be confused with Europcar). Inconvenient is that you need to prepay.
I usually find I gwt very similar rates with the majors when shopping
around. Travel web sites such as itn.net, travelocity or destina.ca may
on occasion provide you with the best rate too, including some that are
prepaid. But be careful, check that what you end up getting is indeed
what you asked to be confirmed, I have had surprises. Also, be careful
with additional charges, sometimes the basic rate is no more than 60-70%
of the total.

At the end of the day, I do most of my business with Hertz. If they come
out outrageously expensive, then I shop around.

One last point: there typically is a hefty surcharge (like 17%) when
picking up a car at an airport or train station. Sometimes it pays off to
book from an offsite location and to take a cab.

But OTOH, it has happened to me to inadvertently book from an off-airport
location, only to get there and find out there is no outfit of the sort at
the airport; no fun.

Remember that VAT tax may or may not be included. Watch for mileage
charges vs. unlimited mileage, return fees if at a different location, gas
charges (usually well worth filling up yourself, rather than agreeing with
the offer to prepay for a full tank; you will typically not bring the car
back with an empty tank.)

Then there is the insurance issue, CDW etc. You credit card may well
cover you. Or not. Some rates include CDW and theft insurance, some
don't. I have seen outfits trick you into buying insurance that you
don't want or need. Read the rental agreement carefully before signing.

Old May 5th, 2004, 09:53 AM
The Reids

Following up to devil

It often happens that even though you booked a cheaper, standard,
you end up getting an automatic, in my experience 30-40% of the time if
you book a full size. Of course, you can't count on this happening. :-)

that's interesting, i've never been offered an auto, perhaps they
just offer north americans autos.
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old May 5th, 2004, 03:47 PM
devil

On Wed, 05 May 2004 09:53:53 +0100, The Reids wrote:

Following up to devil

It often happens that even though you booked a cheaper, standard,
you end up getting an automatic, in my experience 30-40% of the time if
you book a full size. Of course, you can't count on this happening. :-)

that's interesting, i've never been offered an auto, perhaps they
just offer north americans autos.

Supposed to be an upgrade... I actually prefer standards.

This is with Hertz, Gold. May have something to do with it, perhaps
priority for upgrades?

Old May 5th, 2004, 04:42 PM
The Reids

Following up to devil

that's interesting, i've never been offered an auto, perhaps they
just offer north americans autos.

Supposed to be an upgrade... I actually prefer standards.

This is with Hertz, Gold. May have something to do with it, perhaps
priority for upgrades?

I have a loyalty card with Europcar, have been upgraded, but
never to an auto.
Old May 5th, 2004, 04:53 PM
devil

On Wed, 05 May 2004 16:42:49 +0100, The Reids wrote:

Following up to devil

that's interesting, i've never been offered an auto, perhaps they
just offer north americans autos.

Supposed to be an upgrade... I actually prefer standards.

This is with Hertz, Gold. May have something to do with it, perhaps
priority for upgrades?

I have a loyalty card with Europcar, have been upgraded, but
never to an auto.

I suspect Europcar (now owned by VW) caters mostly to European-based
customers, and as a result they probably don't include as many automatics
in their fleet compared to Hertz/Avis?

Old May 5th, 2004, 05:48 PM
The Reids

Following up to devil

I suspect Europcar (now owned by VW) caters mostly to European-based
customers, and as a result they probably don't include as many automatics
in their fleet compared to Hertz/Avis?

May well be, didn't know VW bought them.
Old May 6th, 2004, 02:41 AM
Flemmo

"Graham Hill" wrote in message
This group was very helpful in suggesting interesting sites to visit

during
our up coming trip to Spain, a bit more help...please!

First, is it better (cheaper) to rent a car in Canada rather than in

Madrid?
As anyone done comparisons between here and there? Any recommendations as

Car Rental Companies?
Second, what is the rough price of gas in and around Madrid Spain.
Third, in general what is driving in Spain like compared to Canada, i.e.,
radar, courtesy, treatment of pedestrians or any other driving connected
thoughts anyone might have.

Hoping for some insights,

Sincerely,
Graham Hill