U.K. going to Exmoor

Old May 14th, 2004, 08:19 PM
Alex

Default U.K. going to Exmoor

Hi everyone
I'm going to be traveling to the United Kingdom and I want to find
out what the easiest way is to get to Exmoor. I'm coming from the
U.S., so I'm wondering if I should take a flight to London and then
take a train or bus, I'm not sure. Any advice would be immensely
appreciated.

Alex
Old May 14th, 2004, 09:36 PM
Graham Harrison

It could depend on where on the moor. The nearest airport is Exeter from
where a train http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ will take you up to Barnstaple
which is beyond the western edge or Taunton which is beyond the eastern
edge. If you fly into Heathrow a coach will take you to Taunton or Exeter
or probably Barnstaple - see http://www.nationalexpress.com/neh.cfm or you
can take a coach to Reading and then pick up the train to Taunton -
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ will give you both the train and coach times
and fares. If you fly into Gatwick a train to Reading then another to
Taunton.

From Taunton a fun approach would be by
http://www.west-somerset-railway.co.uk/ but buses are probably more frequent
http://www.pti.org.uk/

However, the moor itself is not well served by public transport so a car
might be in order in which case I would almost say fly into Heathrow,
Gatwick, Bristol, Southampton, Exeter, Newquay or even Cardiff, Birmingham,
Luton or Stanstead and drive. www.theaa.com might give you some route
planning and accommodation ideas and
http://www.somerset.gov.uk/celebrati...rset/visitors/
http://www.exmoor.com/ http://www.discoverdevon.com/default.asp
http://www.exmoor-nationalpark.gov.uk/ some more specific ideas about the
moor and surroundings.

--
*****
*****The "return to" address embedded in this mail is wrong as an antispam

Old May 15th, 2004, 11:15 AM
Owain

"Alex" wrote
| I'm going to be traveling to the United Kingdom and I want to find
| out what the easiest way is to get to Exmoor. I'm coming from the
| U.S., so I'm wondering if I should take a flight to London and then
| take a train or bus, I'm not sure. Any advice would be immensely
| appreciated.

For trains, www.scotrail.co.uk | Book Online or any of the UK train booking
websites.

The area appears best served by First Great Western Trains running London
Paddington -Penzance through Exeter St Davids. Approx 2 hr 20 mins journey
time. A Standard Open Return is GBP 122. If you book in advance you can get
significantly cheaper fares. An Apex Return is GBP 26, but these tickets are
quota controlled (limited availability) and require seat reservations. A
SuperSaver Return is GBP 45, does not require pre-booking but isn't
available for travel on business traveller or commuter trains, on any
Fridays throughout the year or on Saturdays in July and August.

Alternatively South West Trains run London Waterloo to Plymouth via Exeter
St Davids. Journey time about 3h23. Because this is a slower service, it is
more likely to have lower price tickets available and offers AFAICS the
cheapest ticket for London Terminals Exeter St Davids of GBP 20.70 (Apex
Return "route AP HONITON").

Local connections with Wessex Trains
http://www.wessextrains.co.uk/where/index.php?navID=7

Exmoor Tourist Assoc
http://www.exmoor.com/

Exmoor Accommodation
http://www.exmoor-accommodation.co.uk/

Exmoor National Park

Old May 17th, 2004, 02:52 AM
Alex

"Owain" wrote in message ...
"Alex" wrote
| I'm going to be traveling to the United Kingdom and I want to find
| out what the easiest way is to get to Exmoor. I'm coming from the
| U.S., so I'm wondering if I should take a flight to London and then
| take a train or bus, I'm not sure. Any advice would be immensely
| appreciated.

For trains, www.scotrail.co.uk | Book Online or any of the UK train booking
websites.

The area appears best served by First Great Western Trains running London
Paddington -Penzance through Exeter St Davids. Approx 2 hr 20 mins journey
time. A Standard Open Return is GBP 122. If you book in advance you can get
significantly cheaper fares. An Apex Return is GBP 26, but these tickets are
quota controlled (limited availability) and require seat reservations. A
SuperSaver Return is GBP 45, does not require pre-booking but isn't
available for travel on business traveller or commuter trains, on any
Fridays throughout the year or on Saturdays in July and August.

Alternatively South West Trains run London Waterloo to Plymouth via Exeter
St Davids. Journey time about 3h23. Because this is a slower service, it is
more likely to have lower price tickets available and offers AFAICS the
cheapest ticket for London Terminals Exeter St Davids of GBP 20.70 (Apex
Return "route AP HONITON").

Local connections with Wessex Trains
http://www.wessextrains.co.uk/where/index.php?navID=7

Exmoor Tourist Assoc
http://www.exmoor.com/

Exmoor Accommodation
http://www.exmoor-accommodation.co.uk/

Exmoor National Park
http://www.exmoor-nationalpark.gov.uk/

Owain

I'll be going to Exmoor National Park, is it cheap by train? What's
the average price?
Old May 17th, 2004, 09:37 AM
The Reids

Following up to Alex

I'll be going to Exmoor National Park, is it cheap by train? What's
the average price?

how do you intend getting about when there? If you are going to
hire a car you might as well hire for the journey down too.
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso