Ko Samui, Thailand -where to next?

Old December 1st, 2003, 12:22 PM
Hallvard Tangeraas

Default Ko Samui, Thailand -where to next?

I need some suggestions....
I'm currently on a trip around the world and have so far been to Hong
Kong (which was GREAT!!! -spent 3 weeks there) a couple of days in
Beijing, 3 days in Bangkok, and just arrived in Ko Samui here in
southern Thailand yesterday.

I've booked 3 days at the place I'm staying, but might be longer if I
like it (today it's been really windy and I was dragged under by the
currents in teh water near the shore -not much fun, so I'll be waiting
till the winds stop, and the rest of the day it's been raining hard).

Anyway, I'm taking an outbound flight from Singapore on the 22nd of
December so I'll be in Sydney, Australia for Christmas. Until then I
have whatever time I need in Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore.
I was in Singapore for a week 10 years ago, so I don't need much time
there, but just been over the border to Malaysia and would like to see
more of that country. But just like with Thailand I don't know much
about that country, so any suggestions to where I could be going next,
before arriving in Singapore? I have about 3 weeks till I'll be
leaving Singapore.

Some nice beaches which aren't as touristy as here would be nice
(there are people asking you every 10 minutes if you want to buy
something from them: food, massages etc.) I would like something
secluded, something you see off travel brochures showing that
"tropical paradise" type of thing.

Hallvard
Old December 1st, 2003, 11:02 PM
chilly

"Hallvard Tangeraas" wrote in message
om...

Some nice beaches which aren't as touristy as here would be nice
(there are people asking you every 10 minutes if you want to buy
something from them: food, massages etc.) I would like something
secluded, something you see off travel brochures showing that
"tropical paradise" type of thing.

Take the speed boat over to Koh Tao, stay down at Sairee Beach.

Old December 2nd, 2003, 03:43 AM
bondipom

Originally posted by Hallvard Tangeraas

[...]

You can also go to the Khao Sok national park. A beautiful place. Then
go to the Phi Phi islands on the other side of the peninsula.

Then down to Penang. I also would recommend the jungle railway and the
Teman Negarra national park and Malacca before Singapore.

There are loads more places to go but those are a starting point. Koh
Tao is good but because of the winds you mentioned I doubt the water
would be clear for a while. It is the rainy season.

Old December 2nd, 2003, 06:30 AM
Rene R.F. Wildeman

As suggested go to Koh Tao. It is a small island only 2 1/2 hours from
Koh Samui or from Chumphong. Most people go there for diving and you
won't find any people selling goods on the beach. No wild night-life
but a real "Bounty"island

Old December 2nd, 2003, 12:16 PM
bob

Well, it used to be a "Bounty"-like place, but that was a few years ago. I
believe there are about 21 internet cafes at last count.

Bob

--

Travel and Astronomy Photos
http://www3.sympatico.ca/bomo

Old December 2nd, 2003, 02:32 PM
Hallvard Tangeraas

"chilly" wrote in message news:kMPyb.538340$pl3.423365@pd7tw3no...
"Hallvard Tangeraas" wrote in message
om...

Some nice beaches which aren't as touristy as here would be nice

Take the speed boat over to Koh Tao, stay down at Sairee Beach.

Is that one of the nearby islands to Ko Samui where I'm at right now?
Are there accomodations there as well, or is this just a day-trip
while staying here?

I've been doing some reading and am considering the following:

1) Go to the Phi Phi Islands just outside Krabi on the west-coast.
According to a travel agent here, this will cost me 300 Baht
(bus/boats), but the stay there might get pretty expensive as it's
apparently the high-season.
Then again I might not stay very lon before I move on to Malaysia.
If I find something cheap I might stay longer. Alternatively take a
boat back to Krabi and stay there instead.

2) Travel from Phi Phi/Krabi down to Malaysia, first stop being
Butterworth (I think that's the name of the place) and taking a boat
to Penang.

3) Continuing further south I take the train to Kuala Lumpur.

4) Further south again, down to Melakka

5) Finally, Singapore, staying there for a couple of days before
hopping on the planeon the 21st December, bound for Sydney.

Anyone taken this route? Any advice or comments?

Hallvard
Old December 2nd, 2003, 06:23 PM
chilly

"chilly" wrote in message

"Hallvard Tangeraas" wrote in message
om...

Some nice beaches which aren't as touristy as here would be nice

Take the speed boat over to Koh Tao, stay down at Sairee Beach.

Is that one of the nearby islands to Ko Samui where I'm at right now?
Are there accomodations there as well, or is this just a day-trip
while staying here?

It is near where you are now. There are a number of accommodations there
and it is quite beautiful with the more quiet beach you were looking for, if
you stay down on the south side of Sairee Beach. However, if you are
unhappy with the current weather in Koh Samui, you will likely find the same
weather pattern on Koh Tao.

I can't remember how much the Express Boat cost, but it was not very much.
It is like a ferry, with very comfortable seats, video running and a couple
of heads available. The crossing took just as long as the Speed boat which
was not nearly as comfortable and the prices were close to the same. Any
tour company near your current hotel, should be able to advise you in this
regard. If you want to stay on Koh Samui but get away from the more crowded
conditions, I've stayed at a quiet place up in Bo Phut. It was in a lovely
bay, restaurant not half bad, had a pool, AC, hot water shower but the bed a
bit lumpy. It cost approximately 1800 baht per night, however, I had booked
it from North America and I'm sure if you went for the walk-in rate it will
be much less expensive. It was the World Resort in Bo Phut.

Old December 2nd, 2003, 08:32 PM
chilly

"chilly" wrote in message

..

I can't remember how much the Express Boat cost, but it was not very much.
It is like a ferry, with very comfortable seats, video running and a

couple
of heads available.

I'm very sorry, I called this the Express Boat, but I was talking about the
*Catamaran*. Please do not take the Express Boat unless you want to take a
much longer trip than is necessary.

Old December 3rd, 2003, 05:08 AM
chilly

"chilly" wrote in message

It is near where you are now. There are a number of accommodations there
and it is quite beautiful with the more quiet beach you were looking for,

if
you stay down on the south side of Sairee Beach.

I can't get anything right today. This should read stay down on the *north*
side of Sairee Beach. It is quieter there.

Old December 6th, 2003, 06:31 PM
thomasjojo

I can't remember how much the Express Boat cost, but it was not very
much.
It is like a ferry, with very comfortable seats, video running and a

couple
of heads available.

I'm very sorry, I called this the Express Boat, but I was talking about

the
*Catamaran*. Please do not take the Express Boat unless you want to take

much longer trip than is necessary.

boat? approx 250 bath