NZ Campervans again

Old August 26th, 2006, 10:34 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Duncan Gray

Default NZ Campervans again

I fancy trying on of the Spaceships vehicles
http://www.spaceships.tv/
which look like they're economic and an easier drive.

Anyone got experience of them, or similar suggestions?

Old August 26th, 2006, 11:14 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
A Mate

$119 a day for a poxy box on wheels!! I think not!!

Motels in NZ have full kitchens included - and cost from $70 to $100. Car
hire is available for $29 a day - and you have a good night's sleep in a
real bed, with clean linen, and hot water for bathing, tv if you choose.

There's just no comparison!

Old August 26th, 2006, 12:27 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Duncan Gray

"A Mate" wrote in message
u...
$119 a day for a poxy box on wheels!! I think not!!

Motels in NZ have full kitchens included - and cost from $70 to $100. Car
hire is available for $29 a day - and you have a good night's sleep in a
real bed, with clean linen, and hot water for bathing, tv if you choose.

Yeah, but I can do all that at home. I was thinking camping, which I do
here, but I'd get fed up with all that tent pitching over 6 weeks.
Besides which, if NZ television is as bad as the crap broadcast here in the
UK then I'm more than happy without it.

Old August 26th, 2006, 10:31 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Fred[_1_]

"Duncan Gray" wrote in message

"A Mate" wrote in message
u...
$119 a day for a poxy box on wheels!! I think not!!

Motels in NZ have full kitchens included - and cost from $70 to $100. Car
hire is available for $29 a day - and you have a good night's sleep in a
real bed, with clean linen, and hot water for bathing, tv if you choose.

Yeah, but I can do all that at home. I was thinking camping, which I do
here, but I'd get fed up with all that tent pitching over 6 weeks.
Besides which, if NZ television is as bad as the crap broadcast here in
the
UK then I'm more than happy without it.

I agree that campervans are just to expensive compared with car hire and
motels. Don't forget on top of daily hire you still need to pay for camping
site plus high fuel consumtion.
If you want to go camping the best way is to chuck in a sleeping bag and
stay at camping grounds that have cabins. Most do and they are various
standards from basic - table chairs bunks, shared facilities - bring your
own bedding or hire. Right up to tourist cabins which are just like motels,
but in a camping ground. Basic start from $25 but can get up to $40 or so in
some areas. Fully equipped, say $60 to 100 plus. As a New Zealander, I never
book in advance and can usually find damn good accomodation for $70 maximum.
Don't worry about TV. It's rubbish.

Old August 27th, 2006, 10:29 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Frank Slootweg

A Mate wrote:
$119 a day for a poxy box on wheels!! I think not!!

Motels in NZ have full kitchens included - and cost from $70 to $100. Car
hire is available for $29 a day - and you have a good night's sleep in a
real bed, with clean linen, and hot water for bathing, tv if you choose.

There's just no comparison!

Indeed, no comparison. A cost-only comparison is an apples-to-oranges
comparison. A campervan gives you much more freedom, easy/cheap
road-side stops, no schlepping/'packing' of luggage, (more/better/cooled)
storage for food and drink etc., etc.. A 'motel' generally gives you
more space, comfort, etc.. A seperate car also has its advantages.

FWIW, we frequently use *both* i.e. campervan and 'motel', often
during the same trip.