london airports, to and fro

Old June 27th, 2005, 04:41 PM

Default london airports, to and fro

on July 15th - we arrive at Heathrow (American Airlines) at 10am and
have to get to Stansted for an Easyjet flight to Naples at 4:10pm

on July 29th - we arrive at Gatwick (Easyjet) at 10:40pm and our flight
is the next morning from Heathrow at 7:55am. We'll need to get to an
hotel near Heathrow for the night...

What do you think is the best way to do this? I looked online and their
are hundreds of car services, limos, buses...etc. I'm quite overwhelmed
at what the cheapest and quickest way to do these transfers. I also
checked the subway website and it looks awfully confusing with multiple
stops.

Old June 27th, 2005, 04:56 PM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and

on July 15th - we arrive at Heathrow (American Airlines) at 10am and
have to get to Stansted for an Easyjet flight to Naples at 4:10pm

on July 29th - we arrive at Gatwick (Easyjet) at 10:40pm and our flight
is the next morning from Heathrow at 7:55am. We'll need to get to an
hotel near Heathrow for the night...

What do you think is the best way to do this?

Bus, definitely. Check www.nationalexpress.com

The buses from Heathrow to Stansted aren't that frequent, often only
once an hour, sometimes more, but it involves all the changes of train
(or tube) you'd have to do otherwise. Coming back on the 29th, the last
bus leaves Gatwick at 2345, so you will be cutting it fine if the plane
is late. There is another bus at 0205 though- so you'd still get there-
just not have much time for sleep. Make sure the hotel at Heathrow knows
you will arrive very late- and check there will be transport options. I
take it the _flight_ is at 7.55, so you need to be there around 6.
Either way, you won't get a lot of sleep, I imagine...

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old June 27th, 2005, 04:57 PM
Iceman

"on July 15th - we arrive at Heathrow (American Airlines) at 10am and
have to get to Stansted for an Easyjet flight to Naples at 4:10pm"

Take the subway (the "Tube") from Heathrow to Liverpool Street station
in central London, and from there you get the Stansted Express train,
which goes from Liverpool Street station to Stansted airport.

Old June 27th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Patrick Wallace

Ouch, at least for the return leg.

For the outward (Heathrow-Stansted) there is a direct bus. The
official journey time is 90 minutes. Assuming you have to be at
Stansted around 2pm, and allowing for general faffing around on
landing, getting through immigration and baggage reclaim, you might
not be ready to get the bus till gone 11am: but you could cope with
some traffic delays and still manage it. The more expensive option is
Heathrow Express to Paddington, tube (Circle Line) from Paddington to
Liverpool St, Stansted Express to Stansted, but that could take almost
as long as the advertised 90 minutes for the bus, depending on the
connections.

For the return, it's bit tight. Gatwick arrivals can be quite quick in
my experience, but if you miss the 2345 bus to Heathrow, you'll have
to wait till 0205, which doesn't arrive at Heathrow till 0320.
Otherwise, you'd more or less have to pay for a car service to be able
to do this.

PJW

Old June 27th, 2005, 08:42 PM
Thomas

on July 15th - we arrive at Heathrow (American Airlines) at 10am and
have to get to Stansted for an Easyjet flight to Naples at 4:10pm

on July 29th - we arrive at Gatwick (Easyjet) at 10:40pm and our flight
is the next morning from Heathrow at 7:55am. We'll need to get to an
hotel near Heathrow for the night...

What do you think is the best way to do this? I looked online and their
are hundreds of car services, limos, buses...etc. I'm quite overwhelmed
at what the cheapest and quickest way to do these transfers. I also
checked the subway website and it looks awfully confusing with multiple
stops.

If it's just between Gatwick and Heathrow, then taking a bus is definitely
the quickest way to go. However, your travel time will depend on what time
you try to make the commute - the M25 is notorious during rush hour. It
should cost you in the neighborhood of £10.

GBP 17 (Nov 2004), so not the cheapest. Train (not GEX or HEX) and tube is
probably the cheapest, and less reliant on no cock ups on the M25.

Old June 28th, 2005, 07:58 AM
Martin Rich

On 27 Jun 2005 08:57:43 -0700, "Iceman" wrote:

"on July 15th - we arrive at Heathrow (American Airlines) at 10am and
have to get to Stansted for an Easyjet flight to Naples at 4:10pm"

Take the subway (the "Tube") from Heathrow to Liverpool Street station
in central London, and from there you get the Stansted Express train,
which goes from Liverpool Street station to Stansted airport.

If you need to go by tube and train, the easiest route is to get the
Piccadilly Line tube to Finsbury Park, then the Victoria Line tube
from there to Tottenham Hale, and get the Stansted Express train from
Tottenham Hale to Stansted. But I agree with the others in this
thread that getting a direct bus is likely to be easiest, certainly
for your outward journey.

Martin