20 Euros Ice Cream in Rome

Old April 12th, 2008, 11:33 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Default 20 Euros Ice Cream in Rome

Mike..... wrote:

Following up to grusl

Bami fried, boiled or Mie take it or leave it

Oh god. Tell me the Netherlands isn't really like that. I love Indonesian
food - I'm not an old Jakarta hand but I did live there and I go back each
year - and there's a lot more to it than that.

martin thinks glib cynicism is clever, take no notice

Actually, I think his point was making a statement on food in NL. Let it
go!

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate -www.davidhorne.net
(email address on website) "If people think God is interesting, the
Old April 12th, 2008, 10:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Sarah Banick

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 15:46:15 -0700 (PDT), Sam wrote:

Hey, has anyone been to the Olive Garden in Sicily?

No, but the one in Leiden get's good reviews, even if they are written by
the
owners and staff ) http://www.leidslekkers.nl/diner/116/olive_garden
Peter Pan thinks it is mediocre
http://www.iens.nl/english/restauran...estaurant.htms

--

Is this the same chain that's in the U.S.? If so, "mediocre" is being kind.

Old April 12th, 2008, 10:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Martin wrote:

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 17:00:48 -0400, "Sarah Banick"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 15:46:15 -0700 (PDT), Sam wrote:

Hey, has anyone been to the Olive Garden in Sicily?

No, but the one in Leiden get's good reviews, even if they are written by
the
owners and staff ) http://www.leidslekkers.nl/diner/116/olive_garden
Peter Pan thinks it is mediocre
http://www.iens.nl/english/restauran...estaurant.htms

--

Is this the same chain that's in the U.S.? If so, "mediocre" is being kind.

It's possible. I noticed that there are several in NL.

I went to one once, in Chestnut Hill, a suburb of Philadelphia. The
waitress wrote her name with a crayon on our paper 'table-mat.' Candy or
something, IIRC. It was unremarkable- from what I remember, it wasn't
inedible- just plain 'US chain pasta.'

Old April 14th, 2008, 02:49 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 15:46:15 -0700 (PDT), Sam wrote:

Hey, has anyone been to the Olive Garden in Sicily?
No, but the one in Leiden get's good reviews, even if they are written by
the
owners and staff ) http://www.leidslekkers.nl/diner/116/olive_garden
Peter Pan thinks it is mediocre
http://www.iens.nl/english/restauran...estaurant.htms

--

Is this the same chain that's in the U.S.? If so, "mediocre" is being kind.

It's possible. I noticed that there are several in NL.

I went to one once, in Chestnut Hill, a suburb of Philadelphia. The
waitress wrote her name with a crayon on our paper 'table-mat.' Candy or
something, IIRC. It was unremarkable- from what I remember, it wasn't
inedible- just plain 'US chain pasta.'

I rather like Olive Garden, actually - it may not be "authentic", but
it's usually quite tasty (and certainly preferable to Pizza Hut, Papa
Johns, and other U.S. "Italian" chains). Also, the franchise maintains
EXCELLENT "quality control", which is not always the case with chain
restaurants. (I can recall some rather grim experiences with "Good
Earth" and "Marie Calendar" in various U.S. cities.) With Olive Garden,
no matter where in the U.S. you encounter one, you know what to expect,
because the menu and meal quality are consistent everywhere. (That can
be a plus when you are in an unfamiliar city and don't feel like being
adventurous at dinnertime - at least you know what to expect, and that
it will be edible.) Also, the service is good, and the staff helpful -
it seems to be another area in which they exercise quality control.
Old April 14th, 2008, 07:29 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_2_]

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 17:57:19 +0200, Alfred Molon wrote:

In article , Tim C. says...

To me pasta is a sort of pastry-ish stuff from which a meal can be made.
It's too general a term for me for me to call a dish "pasta"... I'd have to
ask what sort of pasta before I'd decide if I wanted it.

So what term would you suggest?

To describe what?

--
Tim C.
Old April 14th, 2008, 08:54 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_2_]

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 09:46:29 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 08:29:46 +0200, "Tim C." wrote:

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 17:57:19 +0200, Alfred Molon wrote:

In article , Tim C. says...

To me pasta is a sort of pastry-ish stuff from which a meal can be made.
It's too general a term for me for me to call a dish "pasta"... I'd have to
ask what sort of pasta before I'd decide if I wanted it.

So what term would you suggest?

To describe what?

Set to music it is "What's it all about Alfie?"

Just call me Mixi.

--
Tim C.
Old April 14th, 2008, 09:34 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article , Tim C. says...
On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 17:57:19 +0200, Alfred Molon wrote:

In article , Tim C. says...

To me pasta is a sort of pastry-ish stuff from which a meal can be made.
It's too general a term for me for me to call a dish "pasta"... I'd have to
ask what sort of pasta before I'd decide if I wanted it.

So what term would you suggest?

To describe what?

Spaghetti, maccheroni, fettucine, tagliatelle, fusilli, rigatoni and so
on. What term would you suggest?
--

Alfred Molon
Old April 14th, 2008, 02:19 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_2_]

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 10:34:49 +0200, Alfred Molon wrote:

In article , Tim C. says...
On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 17:57:19 +0200, Alfred Molon wrote:

In article , Tim C. says...

To me pasta is a sort of pastry-ish stuff from which a meal can be made.
It's too general a term for me for me to call a dish "pasta"... I'd have to
ask what sort of pasta before I'd decide if I wanted it.

So what term would you suggest?

To describe what?

Spaghetti, maccheroni, fettucine, tagliatelle, fusilli, rigatoni and so
on. What term would you suggest?

Of course, pasta. But as you snipped the context ...
You miss the point. I wouldn't call a dish "pasta". Just as I wouldn't say
"meat is a dish". Anyone except a German or vegetarian would ask "what sort
of meat?"

--
Tim C.