TSA approved locks?

Old April 26th, 2007, 06:19 PM posted to rec.travel.air
P L

Default TSA approved locks?

Has anyone used them? Does TSA indeed open and not cut them?

Old April 26th, 2007, 07:34 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Mike Hunt

P L wrote:

Has anyone used them? Does TSA indeed open and not cut them?

Yes. Otherwise what would be the purpose of buying them?

It would seem that locked luggage invites theives, by telling them your
posessions are more valuable than that of others. Higher price luggage
also attracts theives.
Old April 26th, 2007, 08:15 PM posted to rec.travel.air
AlexZ

: Has anyone used them? Does TSA indeed open and not cut them?

In one case I know of, TSA did open the lock but then, instead of
re-locking the bag, just tossed the lock inside it.

Defeated the whole purpose of buying the locks as the bag travelled
unlocked.
Old April 26th, 2007, 11:35 PM posted to rec.travel.air
JimL

On Apr 26, 2:15 pm, AlexZ wrote:
: Has anyone used them? Does TSA indeed open and not cut them?

In one case I know of, TSA did open the lock but then, instead of
re-locking the bag, just tossed the lock inside it.

Defeated the whole purpose of buying the locks as the bag travelled
unlocked.

I had a lock attached, and locked, to the ring below a handle, not the
zipper tabs. Just keeping it there because I planned to lock itin the
hotel room. Bag arrived, lock gone - had to have been cut -- but no
sign of the bag being opened or anything.

I guess someone decided, "I have to cut this because I can!"

Old April 26th, 2007, 11:53 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Bert Hyman

In Mike Hunt
postmaster@localhost wrote:

P L wrote:

Has anyone used them? Does TSA indeed open and not cut them?

Yes. Otherwise what would be the purpose of buying them?

The buyer's purpose and desires have no effect on the TSA's actions.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old April 26th, 2007, 11:53 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Mike Hunt

JimL wrote:

On Apr 26, 2:15 pm, AlexZ wrote:

: Has anyone used them? Does TSA indeed open and not cut them?

In one case I know of, TSA did open the lock but then, instead of
re-locking the bag, just tossed the lock inside it.

Defeated the whole purpose of buying the locks as the bag travelled
unlocked.

I had a lock attached, and locked, to the ring below a handle, not the
zipper tabs. Just keeping it there because I planned to lock itin the
hotel room. Bag arrived, lock gone - had to have been cut -- but no
sign of the bag being opened or anything.

I guess someone decided, "I have to cut this because I can!"

How do you know the bag hadn't been opened?
Old April 27th, 2007, 12:25 AM posted to rec.travel.air
extrarice[_2_]

In article om,
JimL wrote:

On Apr 26, 2:15 pm, AlexZ wrote:
: Has anyone used them? Does TSA indeed open and not cut them?

In one case I know of, TSA did open the lock but then, instead of
re-locking the bag, just tossed the lock inside it.

Defeated the whole purpose of buying the locks as the bag travelled
unlocked.

So what exactly makes a lock "TSA Approved"? Do they have some sort of
master key by the lock vendor? If so, what's the likely hood that the
master key can get in the hands of others outside the TSA?

--
Any one who considers arithmetical methods of producing
random digits is, of course, in a state of sin.
Old April 27th, 2007, 12:57 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Mike Hunt

extrarice wrote:

In article om,
JimL wrote:

On Apr 26, 2:15 pm, AlexZ wrote:

: Has anyone used them? Does TSA indeed open and not cut them?

In one case I know of, TSA did open the lock but then, instead of
re-locking the bag, just tossed the lock inside it.

Defeated the whole purpose of buying the locks as the bag travelled
unlocked.

So what exactly makes a lock "TSA Approved"? Do they have some sort of
master key by the lock vendor? If so, what's the likely hood that the
master key can get in the hands of others outside the TSA?

Why would they need a master key? The locks aren't that hard to
overcome.
Old April 27th, 2007, 01:38 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Newby

"extrarice" wrote in message
In article om,
JimL wrote:

On Apr 26, 2:15 pm, AlexZ wrote:
: Has anyone used them? Does TSA indeed open and not cut them?

In one case I know of, TSA did open the lock but then, instead of
re-locking the bag, just tossed the lock inside it.

Defeated the whole purpose of buying the locks as the bag travelled
unlocked.

So what exactly makes a lock "TSA Approved"? Do they have some sort of
master key by the lock vendor? If so, what's the likely hood that the
master key can get in the hands of others outside the TSA?

--

Yes, the TSA has a master key to open the TSA approved locks.

Old April 27th, 2007, 01:55 AM posted to rec.travel.air
AlexZ

In article extrarice wrote:

: : So what exactly makes a lock "TSA Approved"? Do they have some sort
: : of master key by the lock vendor?

Yes TSA have a master key, and the locks have a logo to indicate this.