cheapest country

Old May 21st, 2007, 04:59 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Default cheapest country

I'm thinking of traveling to Europe for a month, and I was wondering
which country of these would be cheapest to live in:

Austria
Belgium
France
Germany
Spain
Netherlands
Switzerland
United Kingdom
Ireland

Also, what would be roughly the cost of room and board for one month
in this country? (in U.S. dollars) This would assume I get my own
room.

I'm just trying to get a feel for what I should budget.

Old May 21st, 2007, 10:06 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jan[_2_]

On 21 Mai, 05:59, wrote:
I'm thinking of traveling to Europe for a month, and I was wondering
which country of these would be cheapest to live in:

Austria
Belgium
France
Germany
Spain
Netherlands
Switzerland
United Kingdom
Ireland

As a rule of thumb you can assume that as you move towards the north
and towards the center of Europe, the more expencive it gets. For
instance, Norway is more expensive than Sweden (moving east), Sweden
is More expensive than Denmark (moving south), Denmark is more
espensive than Germany (moving south) etc. Ireland is less expensive
than Great Britain is less expensive than Netherlands, is less
expensive than Germany, is MORE expensive than Poland, is more
expensive than the Baltics, Belarus and Ukraine etc.

At the same time the capitols is normaly the most expensive city in a
country (London), the businesscenter of a region is often more
expensive than the political center of a country (Milan, Frankfurt),
touristcities is more expensive than cities with less tourism
(Edinburgh), the bigger cities are more expensive than the smaller
cities and towns is more expensive than the countryside.

Keep in mind that as a rule of thumb, the English-knowledge of people
also gets weeker the longer south and east you get in Europe. Benelux
and the Nordic region is best (of course exept the UK and Ireland),
you will probably find France better than what you expected from the
rumours, Germany is surprisingly uneven in English-knowledge, in "the
richer" (Poland, Czech Republicm Hungary) and "Nordics-close" (the
Baltics) Eastern Europe the English knowledge will be quite ok among
the younger generation and the well-educated / leaders in private and
public sectors. Southern Europe and the "less-developed" Eastern
Europe you will often find that people have only a very weak English,
even among academics, politicians and business leaders.

Jan

Old May 21st, 2007, 10:22 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Markku Grönroos

"Jan" kirjoitti
glegroups.com...

As a rule of thumb you can assume that as you move towards the north
and towards the center of Europe, the more expencive it gets. For
instance, Norway is more expensive than Sweden (moving east), Sweden

In Norway cost of living for tourists is truly surreal.

is More expensive than Denmark (moving south), Denmark is more
espensive than Germany (moving south) etc. Ireland is less expensive
than Great Britain is less expensive than Netherlands, is less

I doubt that Britain is cheaper than Holland.

expensive than Germany, is MORE expensive than Poland, is more

If this is transitive logic then this cannot be true. Britain definitely
isn't cheaper than Germany. But on the contrary a lot more expensive place
to visit.

Old May 21st, 2007, 10:33 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message
i.fi...

is More expensive than Denmark (moving south), Denmark is more
espensive than Germany (moving south) etc. Ireland is less expensive
than Great Britain is less expensive than Netherlands, is less

I doubt that Britain is cheaper than Holland.

It depends where you are.

London is certainly more expensive than Amsterdam and The Hague.

Rural and provincial Britain is certainly less expensive than the
Netherlands outside Amsterdam and The Hague.

Hull and Bolton are dead cheap compared to just about anywhere in The
Netherlands.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old May 21st, 2007, 10:45 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.

Following up to Jan :

At the same time the capitols [...] (London),

That's proof that the UK is the 51st state. ;-)
--
Tim C.
Old May 21st, 2007, 11:43 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Jan wrote:

On 21 Mai, 05:59, wrote:
[...]

The rule of thumb is mostly OK- but you always get exceptions to any
rule. My only experience in Poland is Krakow, which I'd have thought
would be on the more expensive side for that country, and I didn't find
it more expensive than the Baltics (haven't been to Lithuania though.)
At least as the capitals go, Tallinn is rapidly approaching more
standard EU prices. Riga is cheaper than Tallinn, but I found it about
the same as Krakow. I take your point about capitals being more
expensive, but they're a fair guide as to the country as a whole
usually. I'd say Ireland and the UK are almost the same in terms of
prices. London is the most expensive city out of both countries, but I'd
put Dublin and Edinburgh joint second.

While being central, Austria is not that expensive a country in my
experience- even Vienna. Neighbouring Slovakia is still cheap, as is
Slovenia, though the latter is becoming more expensive.

All things considered, I think the answer to the question is relatively
straightforward, as a finite number of countries were given. I'd say
Spain.

At the same time the capitols is normaly the most expensive city in a
country (London), the businesscenter of a region is often more
expensive than the political center of a country (Milan, Frankfurt),
touristcities is more expensive than cities with less tourism
(Edinburgh), the bigger cities are more expensive than the smaller
cities and towns is more expensive than the countryside.

In Edinburgh, the accomodation is notably expensive. Restaurant prices
are not very different there to other parts of the UK though- which you
tend to find in a similar range- London excepted. Maybe other people
could identify other parts of the UK where eating out is particular
expensive? I can think of particular restaurants, but outside London, no
particular place where everything is expensive. I suppose Bray has a
higher than average per head dinner price...

--
(*) ... of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
Old May 21st, 2007, 12:01 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

On 21 mei, 11:33, "William Black" wrote:
"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message

i.fi...

is More expensive than Denmark (moving south), Denmark is more
espensive than Germany (moving south) etc. Ireland is less expensive
than Great Britain is less expensive than Netherlands, is less

I doubt that Britain is cheaper than Holland.

It depends where you are.

London is certainly more expensive than Amsterdam and The Hague.

Rural and provincial Britain is certainly less expensive than the
Netherlands outside Amsterdam and The Hague.

True, but in NL you save all kinds of money by never being tempted to
dine out, and using shops with only cheap crap in them.

B;

Old May 21st, 2007, 12:38 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Martin wrote:

On 21 May 2007 04:01:41 -0700, wrote:

On 21 mei, 11:33, "William Black" wrote:
"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message

i.fi...

is More expensive than Denmark (moving south), Denmark is more
espensive than Germany (moving south) etc. Ireland is less expensive
than Great Britain is less expensive than Netherlands, is less

I doubt that Britain is cheaper than Holland.

It depends where you are.

London is certainly more expensive than Amsterdam and The Hague.

Rural and provincial Britain is certainly less expensive than the
Netherlands outside Amsterdam and The Hague.

True, but in NL you save all kinds of money by never being tempted to
dine out, and using shops with only cheap crap in them.

I shop so little that I still haven't got used to new fangle Euros.

Euros? It's all pounds, shillings and pence to me! There was an ad for
HSBC last night that advertised a new bank account (Plus) which didn't
have any charges for foreign transactions. It's only £6.47 for the first
6 months, then the normal £12.95 thereafter, and only a 12 month minimum
contract. At that outstanding value I'm rushing to open an account with
them. Not.

--
(*) ... of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
http://www.davidhorne.net - real address on website