cheapest country

Old May 21st, 2007, 01:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
grusl

Default cheapest country

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 21 May 2007 09:33:33 GMT, "William Black"

wrote:

You can buy a house in Hull for the price of a week in Central London.

I'll take the week in London, thanks.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old May 21st, 2007, 01:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
grusl

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)" wrote in message
Martin wrote:

I shop so little that I still haven't got used to new fangle Euros.

Euros? It's all pounds, shillings and pence to me!

I miss groats.

There was an ad for HSBC last night that advertised a new bank account
(Plus) which didn't
have any charges for foreign transactions. It's only £6.47 for the first
6 months, then the normal £12.95 thereafter, and only a 12 month minimum
contract. At that outstanding value I'm rushing to open an account with
them. Not.

HSBC is a shockingly expensive bank. Oi remember when it wor BBME and it wor
expensive then.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old May 21st, 2007, 01:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jan[_2_]

David Horne, _the_ chancellor * skrev:
Jan wrote:

On 21 Mai, 05:59, wrote:
I'm thinking of traveling to Europe for a month, and I was wondering
which country of these would be cheapest to live in:

Austria
Belgium
France
Germany
Spain
Netherlands
Switzerland
United Kingdom
Ireland

As a rule of thumb you can assume that as you move towards the north
and towards the center of Europe, the more expencive it gets. For
instance, Norway is more expensive than Sweden (moving east), Sweden
is More expensive than Denmark (moving south), Denmark is more
espensive than Germany (moving south) etc. Ireland is less expensive
than Great Britain is less expensive than Netherlands, is less
expensive than Germany, is MORE expensive than Poland, is more
expensive than the Baltics, Belarus and Ukraine etc.

The rule of thumb is mostly OK- but you always get exceptions to any
rule.

Of course - stange that noone have mentioned Switzerland, Luxenburg
and Lichtenstein...

Riga is cheaper than Tallinn,

According to the rule of thumb Tallin (Estonia is without doubt the
richest county in the Baltics nowadyas and was also by far the richest
Soviet Republic before 1991) is longer north and have more (vodka)-
tourism than Riga...

Jan

Old May 21st, 2007, 01:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

Martin wrote:

I shop so little that I still haven't got used to new fangle Euros.

Euros? It's all pounds, shillings and pence to me!

I miss groats.

Why?

We've still got a two pence piece, which is what a groat was...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old May 21st, 2007, 02:02 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
grusl

"William Black" wrote in message

"grusl" wrote in message
I miss groats.

Why?

We've still got a two pence piece, which is what a groat was...

That's a nugroat. I meant silly old groats.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old May 21st, 2007, 02:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Markku Grönroos

"Jan" kirjoitti
egroups.com...

According to the rule of thumb Tallin (Estonia is without doubt the
richest county in the Baltics nowadyas and was also by far the richest
Soviet Republic before 1991) is longer north and have more (vodka)-
tourism than Riga...

Thumbs up! City of Tallinn has developed it's tourism. Nowadays the greatest
attraction is a mould of an Estonian Olympic wrestler. When the statue stood
in downtown, few people paid attention to it. When it was moved to a
boothill, hordes of Russians begun to go in pilgrimage on the foot of the
mould to kiss it passionately.

Old May 21st, 2007, 02:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Iceman

On May 20, 11:59 pm, wrote:
I'm thinking of traveling to Europe for a month, and I was wondering
which country of these would be cheapest to live in:

Austria
Belgium
France
Germany
Spain
Netherlands
Switzerland
United Kingdom
Ireland

Of the places you listed, the cheapest would be Spain, the former East
Germany, or England outside of the London metro area. The cheapest
major city out of those countries would probably be Berlin.

Much of Eastern Europe is a lot cheaper than the countries you listed,
although some parts of Eastern Europe like Prague, Tallinn and
Ljubljana are fast approaching Western European prices.

Old May 21st, 2007, 02:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
The Reid

On 20 May 2007 20:59:21 -0700, wrote:

Austria
Belgium
France
Germany
Spain
Netherlands
Switzerland
United Kingdom
Ireland

spain has to be a likely bet
--
Mike Reid
Old May 21st, 2007, 02:19 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
The Reid

On 21 May 2007 06:16:07 -0700, Iceman wrote:

Of the places you listed, the cheapest would be Spain,

and a good place to be as well.
--
Mike Reid
Old May 21st, 2007, 02:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Markku Grönroos

"Iceman" kirjoitti
glegroups.com...

Much of Eastern Europe is a lot cheaper than the countries you listed,
although some parts of Eastern Europe like Prague, Tallinn and
Ljubljana are fast approaching Western European prices.

In Sweden, Norway and Finland you can pitch a tent in woods without owner's
consent. You also pick up berries and mushrooms without any licenses as well
as you can try to catch fish by hook and line. Naturally you can set fires
to prepare your prey for a meal. By walking and hitch hiking you don't pay
anything for moving from one place to another. Modern man just wants to be
in the midst of all the rotting comforts.