English Language in Paris

Old August 7th, 2007, 01:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike Collins

Default English Language in Paris

I have traveled to non-English-speaking Europe on a few occasions (Germany,
Spain, the Netherlands) and never found not knowing the local language too
difficult, but I have heard France is quite different. Can anyone share
their stories of not speaking French in Paris? Was it difficult? Could you
still manage to order what you wanted in restaurants? We'll take a trip to
Paris regardless, I am just trying to figure out how to prepare.

Thanks,
Mike

Old August 7th, 2007, 01:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
a.spencer3

"Mike Collins" wrote in message
I have traveled to non-English-speaking Europe on a few occasions

(Germany,
Spain, the Netherlands) and never found not knowing the local language too
difficult, but I have heard France is quite different. Can anyone share
their stories of not speaking French in Paris? Was it difficult? Could you
still manage to order what you wanted in restaurants? We'll take a trip to
Paris regardless, I am just trying to figure out how to prepare.

You'll survive anywhere in the world without English.

But a few days learning basics helps you to enjoy far, far more.

Surreyman

Old August 7th, 2007, 01:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Markku Grönroos

"a.spencer3" kirjoitti

"Mike Collins" wrote in message
I have traveled to non-English-speaking Europe on a few occasions

(Germany,
Spain, the Netherlands) and never found not knowing the local language
too
difficult, but I have heard France is quite different. Can anyone share
their stories of not speaking French in Paris? Was it difficult? Could
you
still manage to order what you wanted in restaurants? We'll take a trip
Paris regardless, I am just trying to figure out how to prepare.

You'll survive anywhere in the world without English.

But a few days learning basics helps you to enjoy far, far more.

I recent study ordered by BBC knows to tell that in average a Brit can
memorize seven (7) words of that foreign language he/she studied/studies at
school. Not much for a vocabulary.

Old August 7th, 2007, 01:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Lennart Petersen

"Mike Collins" skrev i meddelandet
I have traveled to non-English-speaking Europe on a few occasions (Germany,
Spain, the Netherlands) and never found not knowing the local language too
difficult, but I have heard France is quite different. Can anyone share
their stories of not speaking French in Paris? Was it difficult? Could you
still manage to order what you wanted in restaurants? We'll take a trip to
Paris regardless, I am just trying to figure out how to prepare.
Thanks,
Mike

There's no problem. I've spend much time in France and Paris without
knowledge of French. But try to learn a few word of courtesy like
"bonjour" -good day "merci"-thank you
Also try to keep a somewhat humble attitude, don't speak to anyone directly
in English but try to ask "parlais anglais ?" or "do you speak English"
Mostly the answer is "yes a little" and they've good knowledge of English.
If not you can be sure they're trying the best to help.
A small phrase-book could be to use for menus in restaurants although many
restaurants in tourist areas have English menus.
Don't expect so much help from the average street man in the rush hour as
they're probably to reach home as fast as possible.
Paris is a busy city but you'll find rest of France being more relaxed.

Old August 7th, 2007, 01:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
a.spencer3

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message
ti.fi...

"a.spencer3" kirjoitti

[...]

Sounds like total rubbish to me.

Surreyman

Old August 7th, 2007, 01:30 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton[_2_]

a.spencer3 wrote on Tue, 07 Aug 2007 12:14:01 GMT:

as "Mike Collins" wrote in message
as ...
?? I have traveled to non-English-speaking Europe on a few
?? occasions
as (Germany,
?? Spain, the Netherlands) and never found not knowing the
?? local language too difficult, but I have heard France is
?? quite different. Can anyone share their stories of not
?? speaking French in Paris? Was it difficult? Could
?? you still manage to order what you wanted in restaurants?
?? We'll take a trip to Paris regardless, I am just trying to
?? figure out how to prepare.
??
as You'll survive anywhere in the world without English.

as But a few days learning basics helps you to enjoy far, far
as more.

I can understand not knowing anything about a foreign language
if you suddenly have to go to a new country but I'd certainly
agree with you about learning a little if possible. Anyway, I
always found that getting some acquaintance with a new language
and local customs is part of the fun of preparing for a trip.
There are many small books available and I can't understand not
reading at least one. All the Dutch, Danish and Swedish that I
know was learned that way and being able to translate some
public notices was always useful.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Old August 7th, 2007, 02:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
The Reid[_4_]

Following up to "Mike Collins" wrote:

but I have heard France is quite different. Can anyone share
their stories of not speaking French in Paris? Was it difficult?

they dont like it, but there you go. I think a lot speak more english
than they let on. Others dont respond to poor french. But one copes!
:-)
--
Mike
(remove clothing to email)
Old August 7th, 2007, 02:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike Collins

Wow. Thank you. The quick response is most appreciated. I traveled to
Montreal a few years ago and learned some of the simple hellos, thank yous,
and goodbyes. I'll definitely get a phrasebook and do some refreshing.

Old August 7th, 2007, 02:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank Hucklenbroich

Am Tue, 7 Aug 2007 07:08:19 -0500 schrieb Mike Collins:

I have traveled to non-English-speaking Europe on a few occasions (Germany,
Spain, the Netherlands) and never found not knowing the local language too
difficult, but I have heard France is quite different. Can anyone share
their stories of not speaking French in Paris?

I did remember scraping my bits of school-France together to ask these two
black guys in Paris in french the way to the river Seine.

They didn't have a clue about what I was on about. English worked better
tehn ;-)

Could you
still manage to order what you wanted in restaurants?

Depends on the restaurant - in some posh restaurants they sometimes only
speak french (read: they don't *want* to understand you).

So it may help to know at least the names for food in french (or take a
little dictionary).

But in shops or places that are a bit more touristy you should get by with
your english.

Regards,

Frank