Digital Cameras in Europe - how?

Old January 19th, 2004, 05:28 AM
Owlman

Default Digital Cameras in Europe - how?

Tried that first, but didn't come up with anything on the 13000+
messages that came up.

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 14:00:32 -0000, "Ian Millward"

have no idea how I would be able to download and store my digital
pictures.

This is an oft-recurring topic. Go to the "Find" tab of you browser and type
'Camera' in the "Subject:" field and you will be inundated with a wealth of
advise from previous variations on this theme.

Ian Millward

Old January 19th, 2004, 05:39 AM
Owlman

I hear you about caution re theft. I have a good 35mm Minolta Maxuum
camera that I use a lot, but there's no way I want to lug that sucker
across Europe, both because of size and theft risk. I felt the
smaller digital camera would be less obtrusive. Also, there are a lot
of problems with film cameras these days when you have to carry lots
of unexposed and exposed film around through the new Xray machines.

When I traveled Europe 30 years ago, I just carried lead lined bags
and that worked find, but it's not so easy to come out unscathed any
more.

On 18 Jan 2004 07:52:27 -0800, (Maxixe) wrote:

I am not sure what kind of memory card you use and I am certainly no
expert in digital photography but I know for our Olympus Camedia we
use a Smartcard and I have one card that only holds about 24 pictures
and another which we used when we traveled in Scandinavia that held
about 200! Adequate for our one week stay.
We didn't adjust the resolution but I think you can do that too to fit
in more.

OT but bears reminding:

Be very careful of theft! Nothing sucks more than to have your camera
stolen on a memorable trip. The digital cameras of course are easy to
steal because of their compact size and we have already had one stolen
(in New York, not Europe). In Spain and Morocco I had brought a
regular 35mm camera and was constantly catching someone about to lift
it from my shoulder or from a seat near me when leaving a bus/train,
etc. One guy I was able to grab by the arm as he reached inside my
camera bag and gave him a good digging with my fingernails but he got
away anyway.
Be wary in places you would be easily distracted or high traffic -
about to board or leave a bus, trains, just about anywhere! And never
leave it in a hotel room unattended.

Owlman wrote in message . ..
I'm increasingly using my digital camera for all my photography, but
when I consider going to Europe (possibly for as long as 2 months), I
have no idea how I would be able to download and store my digital
pictures. There's no way I can afford to buy Memory Sticks sufficient
for a trip of this duration. When we travel in the U.S. in our RV, I
normally just download my pics to my laptop, but we won't be taking a
laptop to Europe (going Eurail).

How are others coping with this dilemma? Or are you?

Thanx much for your help.

Old January 19th, 2004, 05:52 AM
Owlman

I appreciate all the good advice. I've been nervous about whether I'd
be able to conveniently find an Internet cafe. When we were in
England in 1997, I had copied down the addresses of hundreds of such
cafe's across the UK. I found only 2 of them were still in operation
in the areas in which we traveled. That was most discouraging.

From what I'm hearing, it sounds like maybe there are more Internet
cafe's now across Europe. When we travel, we generally move pretty
quickly, so I'm still a bit concerned that finding a cafe might take
more away from our sightseeing/travel time than is convenient.

However, if I consider perhaps taking lower resolution digital shots
(I take 3M shots now but could probably drop down to 2M) and secure a
few more Memory Sticks before I go, I might have enough capacity to
get me between cafes or other sites to get my stuff downloaded to CDs.

That does give me something to consider.

Old January 19th, 2004, 06:22 AM
Jon Bell

In article ,
Owlman wrote:
I'm increasingly using my digital camera for all my photography, but
when I consider going to Europe (possibly for as long as 2 months), I
have no idea how I would be able to download and store my digital
pictures.

I haven't gone to Europe since I bought my digital camera a year ago, but
I did take a three-week trip around the Midwest US last summer. My
5-megapixel camera produces pictures that are in the range of 2 to 2.5 MB,
and movie clips that can go up to about 15 MB. In a good day's worth of
picture-taking, I can fill up a 256-MB card easily, and I occasionally
filled part of a second card.

I bought a 20-GB portable hard disk (a Nixvue Digital Album Lite) which
has a slot for compact flash cards and a simple operating system for
transferring files to and from cards. The carrying case is about 6x4x1.5
inches. For recharging the battery, it comes with a power cube which can
handle European current, so it just needs an adaptor for the plug.

At the end of each day, I took the memory card out of the camera, stuck it
in the PHD's slot, pressed a couple of buttons, and it downloaded
everything into a folder named according to the date. Even with slow
USB 1.1, it always took less than ten minutes.

When I got home, I connected it to my computer, where it showed up as
another hard disk, and simply dragged all the folders over (which did take
a while to finish, with about 4 GB of data).

--
Jon Bell Presbyterian College
Old January 19th, 2004, 06:37 AM
Mxsmanic

Owlman writes:

However, if I consider perhaps taking lower resolution digital shots
(I take 3M shots now but could probably drop down to 2M) and secure a
few more Memory Sticks before I go, I might have enough capacity to
get me between cafes or other sites to get my stuff downloaded to CDs.

Be wary of shooting at low resolutions, particularly if this is a
once-in-a-lifetime trip.

Old January 19th, 2004, 06:44 AM
Geodyne

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 21:52:50 -0800, Owlman wrote:

From what I'm hearing, it sounds like maybe there are more Internet
cafe's now across Europe. When we travel, we generally move pretty
quickly, so I'm still a bit concerned that finding a cafe might take
more away from our sightseeing/travel time than is convenient.

IME, there is almost always an internet cafe or three within a couple
of blocks of the main train station of any city, and even the smaller
towns. You shouldn't have too much difficulty.

Geodyne

Old January 19th, 2004, 07:35 AM
Miguel Cruz

Geodyne wrote:
Owlman wrote:
From what I'm hearing, it sounds like maybe there are more Internet
cafe's now across Europe. When we travel, we generally move pretty
quickly, so I'm still a bit concerned that finding a cafe might take more
away from our sightseeing/travel time than is convenient.

IME, there is almost always an internet cafe or three within a couple
of blocks of the main train station of any city, and even the smaller
towns. You shouldn't have too much difficulty.

Yes, rather than relying on directories, which quickly get out of date, it's
easier to just look in likely places and/or ask hotel concierges,
backpackers, etc.

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/
Old January 19th, 2004, 08:41 AM
?ystein

Default Digital - or any -Cameras in Europe

"Bob Fusillo" wrote in message news:X1FOb.83297$nt4.126437@attbi_s51...
We all have different picture taking habits. I used to be a pro
photographer, and am quite liberal in my snapping when I travel. On several
recent 5 week trips I took three 128 cards, shot on the lowest resolution
( assuming that I would be looking at them on the computer), annoyed my wife
for taking "so damn many pictures," ( maybe 7 - 800) and didn't even get to
the second card. On the computer, they look fine.
When a friend admired one and wanted to blow it up to put on her wall, there
were problems -- not much enlargement possibilites there.

Of course you can't enlarge digital photos. You can edit and delete
pixels, but of course it is impossible to add pixels that simply isn't
there...

Best regards,

Jan
Old January 19th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Reid

Following up to Owlman

I'm increasingly using my digital camera for all my photography, but
when I consider going to Europe (possibly for as long as 2 months), I
have no idea how I would be able to download and store my digital
pictures.

BTW you should also consider the long term durability of the
digital storage you are using and how to back it up regularly.
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso