How to best get along in Europe?

Old November 12th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Bob Fusillo

Default How to best get along in Europe?

You would be hard pressed to tell Europeans from Americans or each other,
especially the young.
But the advice seems excellent for anywhere at any time.
rjf

"Barbara Lightner" wrote in message
Is this still good advice?

I also wonder, do Eurpeans in general still dress well today, or do
they dress like so many of us slobs here in the USA, especially the
men?

"Dress impressively like the French, speak with authority like the
Germans, have blond hair like the Scandinavians and speak
of no American presidents except Lincoln, Roosevelt and Kennedy. "
-- Sylvaine Rouy Neves, On how to Gain Respect While Traveling in
Europe, NY Times, Sep 30, 1984

Barbara Lightner

Old November 12th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Jens Arne Maennig

Barbara Lightner wrote:

I also wonder, do Eurpeans in general still dress well today,

This is pretty much depending on what you would describe as "well". The
perception of what is well or not mitght be pretty different in diffent
places in Europe. On a Southern Italian campground the dress code might
slightly different from the one during a royal wedding in the UK.

or do they dress like so many of us slobs here in the USA,

[x] send pics

especially the men?

Personally, I don't like *girls* that are wearing, let me say, too much.

"Dress impressively like the French,

"When in Rome..."

speak with authority like the Germans,

The popularity of Germans in most places of the world might provide you
with the idar to behave not too Germanic when travelling.

have blond hair like the Scandinavians

"My friends say she's a dumb blonde but they don't know she dyes her
hair" (Thomas Dolby, 1988)

and speak of no American presidents except Lincoln, Roosevelt and
Kennedy."

Travelling is a good opportunity to perceive and learn instead of
teaching and doing missionary work. It might be a good idea to keep
your local affairs from home in the backgrund if you are not Micheal
Moor on lecture tour.

Jens
Old November 12th, 2004, 04:07 PM
Jens Arne Maennig

Barbara Lightner wrote:

I also wonder, do Eurpeans in general still dress well today,

This is pretty much depending on what you would describe as "well". The
perception of what is well or not might be pretty different in different
places in Europe. On a Southern Italian campground the dress code might
slightly different from the one during a royal wedding in the UK.

or do they dress like so many of us slobs here in the USA,

[x] send pics

especially the men?

Personally, I don't like *girls* that are wearing, aah, let me say, too
much.

"Dress impressively like the French,

"When in Rome..."

speak with authority like the Germans,

The popularity of Germans in most places of the world might provide you
with the idea to behave not too Germanic when travelling.

have blond hair like the Scandinavians

"My friends say she's a dumb blonde but they don't know she dyes her
hair" (Thomas Dolby, 1988)

and speak of no American presidents except Lincoln, Roosevelt and
Kennedy."

Travelling is a good opportunity to perceive and learn instead of
teaching and doing missionary work. It might be a good idea to keep
your local affairs from home in the background if you are not Micheal
Moor on lecture tour.

Jens

Old November 12th, 2004, 04:14 PM
The Reids

Following up to Barbara Lightner

I also wonder, do Eurpeans in general still dress well today, or do
they dress like so many of us slobs here in the USA, especially the
men?

"Dress impressively like the French, speak with authority like the
Germans, have blond hair like the Scandinavians and speak
of no American presidents except Lincoln, Roosevelt and Kennedy. "

The Italians tend to dress well, Americans probably are slightly
under dressed sometimes, but that president advice is rather
good.
--
Mike Reid
Wasdale-Thames path-London-photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site

Old November 12th, 2004, 04:46 PM
pmckin5750

Many Canadians admire Clinton, despite his foibles.
Are Europeans less impressed?

Kevin

Old November 12th, 2004, 05:19 PM
nospam

I also wonder, do Eurpeans in general still dress well today, or do
they dress like so many of us slobs here in the USA, especially the
men?

The further west you go, the sloppier the dress, for both men and
women. Exceptions abound, with Paris being quite stylish. Amsterdam
looks like any American city, clothes-wise.

speak of no American presidents except Lincoln, Roosevelt and Kennedy

Another good idea.

Pete

Old November 12th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Hatunen

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 09:38:52 -0500, Barbara Lightner
wrote:

Is this still good advice?

I also wonder, do Eurpeans in general still dress well today, or do
they dress like so many of us slobs here in the USA, especially the
men?

Europeans appear to me to be largely indistinguishable from
Americans, especially the young. But even middle aged people wear
blue jeans.

Old November 12th, 2004, 06:29 PM
Yorick

wrote:

Is this still good advice?

I also wonder, do Eurpeans in general still dress well today, or do
they dress like so many of us slobs here in the USA, especially the
men?

Europeans appear to me to be largely indistinguishable from
Americans, especially the young. But even middle aged people wear
blue jeans.

Different jeans though. The centre of Amsterdam is always filled with both
Americans and locals. You can always tell them apart.

Yorick.