Tromsų or Kiruna?

Old October 10th, 2005, 08:39 AM

Default Tromsų or Kiruna?

I'm interested in visiting Scandinavia on late December, and I'm
particularly interested in trying to see Northern Lights (aurora
borealis). I made a little research and it seems that two favorite
cities are Troms=F8, Norway and Kiruna, Sweden.

First of all, I'm from Mexico, so I'm not used to these kind of arctic
weather. What would you recommend us to wear to be comfortable in this
latitudes?

Second, what city do you think is more appropriate for watching the sky
as well as doing other kinds of stuff, including site-seeing, skiing,
etc. ?

Third, do you have any recommendation for a two week itinerary that
covers the major places in Scandinavia?

Fourth, what is the cheapest way of traveling around? Train?

I appreciate any comment or suggestion on any of the points I mentioned
above.

Thanks in advance!

Fernando.

Old October 10th, 2005, 09:09 AM
GHPtravel

Don't know about seeing the northern Lights in Kiruna in Late December. I
thought it was dark there then 24 hours a day. But maybe this site can help
you with more info about Kiruna. http://kiruna.se/

I would expect that if you want to go to kiruna that flying is the easiest
option. I think you can go by train there but it will take very long time to
get there.

Other wise train travel in Sweden is very good. For instance you could
travel from Stockholm to Malmo in 4.5 hours by train.

Hope this helps you a bit.

Greetings,
George
www.GHPtravel.com your travel starting point
wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm interested in visiting Scandinavia on late December, and I'm
particularly interested in trying to see Northern Lights (aurora
borealis). I made a little research and it seems that two favorite
cities are Tromsų, Norway and Kiruna, Sweden.

Old October 10th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Donald Newcomb

"GHPtravel" wrote in message
I would expect that if you want to go to kiruna that flying is the easiest
option. I think you can go by train there but it will take very long time

get there.

Actually it only takes a long time from Mexico. It's a night train from
Stockholm, so you sleep most of the way, which is not a bad thing. Northern
Sweden is just rocks and trees and lakes and rocks and trees and lakes and
...... after and hour or so of it you're ready to go to sleep.

Back in '87 I took the morning bus from Tromsų down to Narvik and then the
train over to Kiruna and down to Stockholm. On October it was already dark
by the time the train arrived in Kiruna, so I really can say I've seen
anything of the city. The train was in Uppsala about breakfast time.

--
Donald Newcomb
DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

Old October 10th, 2005, 12:35 PM

Kiruna is famous for the Ice Hotel. Get reservations early.

Train from Stockholm takes about 14 hours. LAst time I was there there
was a night train. After a couple of hours, all you see is field, farm
houses, and forrests.

Old October 10th, 2005, 01:10 PM
george

do you have any recommendation for a two week itinerary that
covers the major places in Scandinavia?

You might like to consider a trip on the Hurtigruten (Norwegian coastal
voyage). The round trip from Bergen to Kirkenes on the Russian border
and back takes eleven days (or you can do a portion of the trip), and a
ship leaves every day. This would probably be more convenient and
enjoyable than visiting Scandinavia by other means at this time of
year. Basically, you will have your room, transportation and meals
included, so the cost of the trip is not that much compared to doing
something else with high Scandinavian prices. The boat will stop in
the major ports (including Tromso) for a few hours so that you can take
a tour or visit them on your own. It will also stop in a large number
of smaller ports for shorter times. The scenery is magnificent, and a
good portion of the trip will be above the Arctic Circle. Of course,
seeing the Northern lights depends on the weather (clouds) besides
solar activity causing atmospheric disturbances.

George

Old October 10th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Des Small

"george" writes:

wrote:
do you have any recommendation for a two week itinerary that
covers the major places in Scandinavia?

You might like to consider a trip on the Hurtigruten (Norwegian coastal
voyage).

Seconded. I did it (up to Tromsų) in Summer though. I think you can
get off and on a couple of times with the same ticket, although my
ticket didn't include luxuries like meals and a bed. (The Hurtigruten
is also used by students and backpackers - who get to doss above the
engine-rooms - and for cargo.)

Tromsų has "The Most Northerly X" for a wide variety of Xs but it
isn't a very big town, especially when the students are out of it.

Kiruna I know nothing at all about, and that after 5 years studying
Swedish - I suspect, perhaps unjustly, that there isn't all that much
to know.

Des
Old October 10th, 2005, 02:03 PM
george

Des Small wrote:
Kiruna I know nothing at all about, and that after 5 years studying
Swedish - I suspect, perhaps unjustly, that there isn't all that much
to know.

I've never been there, but it is Sweden's northernmost town and the
site of a large iron ore mine. Besides the nearby ice hotel, there is
also a nearby facility that researches the northern lights.

George

Old October 10th, 2005, 04:45 PM
erilar

In article .com,
"george" wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Enthusiastic second! I did that in September and loved it 8-) Didn't
see any Northern Lights, but wouldn't have anyway, as we had some stormy
weather in the north.

--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar)

You can't reason with someone whose first line of argument
is that reason doesn't count. Isaac Asimov

Erilar's Cave Annex: http://www.airstreamcomm.net/~erilarlo
Old October 10th, 2005, 06:36 PM
tim \(moved to sweden\)

wrote in message
roups.com...
I'm interested in visiting Scandinavia on late December, and I'm
particularly interested in trying to see Northern Lights (aurora
borealis). I made a little research and it seems that two favorite
cities are Tromsų, Norway and Kiruna, Sweden.

First of all, I'm from Mexico, so I'm not used to these kind of arctic
weather. What would you recommend us to wear to be comfortable in this
latitudes?

Probably lots more than you can possibly imagine. A couple of
sweaters and a thick coat and gloves is unlikely to be enough.
Something to keep you head (and ears) warm is also important
as is keeping feet warm, normal shoes just aren't going to be
enough.

Second, what city do you think is more appropriate for watching the sky
as well as doing other kinds of stuff, including site-seeing, skiing,
etc. ?

Where you are suggesting going has 22 hours of night time and
a couple of hours of twilight. I don't think that there is much
outdoor sight-seeing available.

Third, do you have any recommendation for a two week itinerary that
covers the major places in Scandinavia?

what are your interests?

Fourth, what is the cheapest way of traveling around? Train?

http://www.scanrail.com/

tim