Google maps for Europe - any idea of dates ?

Old August 23rd, 2006, 01:35 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
- Bobb -[_1_]

Default Google maps for Europe - any idea of dates ?

How to tell how old an image is ? I just tried Berlin, Germany and I
can see ice in the river: it could be ?? 2001,2,3,4,2005 ??? - anyway to
tell ? All it shows onscreen is copyright 2006 ( as all other images
do too)

The reason it matters is the city changes a lot and I'm trying to find
out WHEN it "looked like it did in the map" vs actual image today.

Old August 23rd, 2006, 01:48 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton

Hello, -!
You wrote on Tue, 22 Aug 2006 20:35:41 -0400:

B How to tell how old an image is ? I just tried Berlin,
B Germany and I can see ice in the river: it could be ??
B 2001,2,3,4,2005 ??? - anyway to tell ? All it shows
B onscreen is copyright 2006 ( as all other images do too)

B The reason it matters is the city changes a lot and I'm
B trying to find out WHEN it "looked like it did in the map"
B vs actual image today.

Isn't there more information than that? I seem to remember an
item in the satellite view for "Map Data". What OS are you
using? I regret to say I am using Internet explorer with Windows
XP .

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Old August 23rd, 2006, 02:02 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton

Hello, James!
You wrote to - Bobb - on Tue, 22 Aug 2006 20:48:03 -0400:

B How to tell how old an image is ? I just tried Berlin,
B Germany and I can see ice in the river: it could be ??
B 2001,2,3,4,2005 ??? - anyway to tell ? All it shows
B onscreen is copyright 2006 ( as all other images do too)

B The reason it matters is the city changes a lot and I'm
B trying to find out WHEN it "looked like it did in the map"
B vs actual image today.

JS Isn't there more information than that? I seem to remember
JS an item in the satellite view for "Map Data". What OS are
JS you using? I regret to say I am using Internet explorer
JS with Windows XP .

JS James Silverton
JS Potomac, Maryland

I have to agree that the information is older than the
annotation "copyright 2006 NAVTEQ".

I looked up my own house and I can recognize a car parked in my
driveway as one I sold about 18 months ago! The positional arrow
for my house is about 100-150 meters out too!

Old August 23rd, 2006, 03:38 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jonathan Roberts[_1_]

"James Silverton" not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not wrote in message
. ..
Isn't there more information than that? I seem to remember an
item in the satellite view for "Map Data". What OS are you
using? I regret to say I am using Internet explorer with Windows
XP .

I don't think you can get more info in Google Maps. Maybe you're thinking
of Google Earth?

Jonathan

Old August 23rd, 2006, 04:34 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton

Hello, Jonathan!
You wrote on Tue, 22 Aug 2006 21:38:44 -0500:

JR "James Silverton" not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not wrote
JR in message
JR . ..
?? Isn't there more information than that? I seem to remember
?? an item in the satellite view for "Map Data". What OS are
?? you using? I regret to say I am using Internet explorer
?? with Windows XP .

JR I don't think you can get more info in Google Maps. Maybe
JR you're thinking of Google Earth?

Is there any difference in the basic data? Once you have
displayed a map in Google Maps, you have the option to click on
satellite or hybrid to get alternative views. That's what I did
to display the car in my driveway. The choice is also available
on the opening screen of Google Maps.

Old August 23rd, 2006, 09:55 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Martin Bienwald

- Bobb - wrote:
How to tell how old an image is ? I just tried Berlin, Germany and I
can see ice in the river: it could be ?? 2001,2,3,4,2005 ??? - anyway to
tell ? All it shows onscreen is copyright 2006 ( as all other images
do too)

Somehow, I doubt the ice - the trees are far too green for winter. I think
it's just effects of the sunlight.

From the state of the construction works of the new main railway station
(search for "berlin hauptbahnhof, germany") I'd guess the images have been
taken in summer 2004.

.... Martin