Omaha, Nebraska

Old October 21st, 2003, 10:28 PM
Richard

Default Omaha, Nebraska

I'm going to Omaha for a week on business next month and as I don't drive, I
fear I'll be in a bind when it comes to getting around beyond the
hotel-work-hotel taxi runs. From what I can tell, public transit in Omaha is
pretty pathetic (though I'd be more than happy if someone would prove me
wrong), so I'm wondering if there's any area of the city that has a hotel
that's walking distance (say a couple miles) from a few things to do. Things
to do can be just about anything, a museum, a movie theatre, a restaurant, a
fitness club, a bar, a concert venue or anything that gives me an
alternative to spending my evenings watching TV in my hotel room. Thanks!

Richard

Old October 22nd, 2003, 04:40 AM
Ted J

"Richard" wrote in message
I'm going to Omaha for a week on business next month and as I don't drive,

fear I'll be in a bind when it comes to getting around beyond the
hotel-work-hotel taxi runs. From what I can tell, public transit in Omaha

is
pretty pathetic (though I'd be more than happy if someone would prove me
wrong), so I'm wondering if there's any area of the city that has a hotel
that's walking distance (say a couple miles) from a few things to do.

Things
to do can be just about anything, a museum, a movie theatre, a restaurant,

fitness club, a bar, a concert venue or anything that gives me an
alternative to spending my evenings watching TV in my hotel room. Thanks!

Richard

I've spent some time in Omaha on business and would agree that you run the
risk of spending your evenings ordering room service and watching tv if you
don't have your own transportation. However, if your hotel is downtown,
you'll actually have a few entertainment options. Downtown Omaha is
reletively compact. If you stay near the Old Market area there are plenty
of restaurants and bars from which to choose. There's a nice riverwalk area
near there if you want a pleasant stroll. There are a couple theaters
downtown to see live shows as well as the arena if you are interested in
concerts or college sports (UNO and Creighton).

You could stay farther west (around 72nd St) and be close to shopping malls
and restaurants. Not sure about your entertainment options on that side of
town. Of course the zoo is pretty good and it's located right next to
Rosenblat Stadium (home of the College World Series). I'm not sure of the
lodging or restaurant options near the zoo.

Hope this helps.

-Ted J

Old October 22nd, 2003, 01:04 PM

The Old Market area fits your needs. Dozens of bars and restaurants,
shops and antique stores (quite a few open at night). If you find
the need to go to a mall, you can get to the Crossroads at 72nd
& Dodge by bus (although watch the schedules carefully since I
gather you would only be going after work and the bus options
would be more limited then). You won't find a movie theater
downtown, but depending on when you'll be in Omaha check the
schedules for the Orpheum (classical music and other concerts)
and the Quest Center (college basketball and hockey, and concerts etc.,)
which are both downtown (10 minute walk from Old Market). Your
downtown hotel options include the Hilton Inn, Courtyard by Marriott,
Embassey Suites, Sheraton, Redick and probably a couple of others.

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Ted J wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
[...]

Katherine Becker "As god is my witness
I thought turkeys could fly"
NEVER SEND A FERRET TO DO A WEASEL's JOB --WKRP