My turn - Tampa questions

Old November 11th, 2004, 05:22 PM

Default My turn - Tampa questions

We have a great TA, but sometimes what he tells me seems somewhat dated, so
here goes....

Ship : Celebrity Horizon
Date: Jan. 21
Port: Tampa, Fl

Questions:
Do downtown hotels offer shuttle services to the cruise port site?
Are the cruise berths on Channelside drive?
Can you suggest downtown hotel(s) that would be close to the berths?
I am considering the Hyatt Regency as it seems to be a Priceline hotel,
would it be a viable choice for pre-cruise accomodation?

Thanks,

rieker5

Old November 11th, 2004, 05:31 PM
HDawson228

I've been trying Priceline lately for my Feb cruise on Horizon. Bidding 3
stars and $45. I think it's a bit early for me so will try again starting in
Dec. Also hoping for the Hyatt.
Old November 11th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Mark M

I've been trying Priceline lately for my Feb cruise on Horizon. Bidding
3
stars and $45. I think it's a bit early for me so will try again

starting in
Dec. Also hoping for the Hyatt.

I usually price hotels using hotels.com, then go to Priceline and make
a lower bid based on what I saw.

I know a much better way to determine what people are paying for priceline
rooms. Go he

www.biddingfortravel.com

and select the state/city you want to go and you'll see posts of what people
have _actually_ paid in previous bids. I cannot emphasize enough how
valuable this free service is. Based on the posts at that site, I paid $45
for a 3* Marriot Marina room when the rate on their site was $159 and
hotwire.com's rate was $99.

Old November 11th, 2004, 07:20 PM
Dory Samuels

The cruise berths are on Channelside Drive. Can't help with your hotel
question. We are booked on the Horizon for Dec. 10th. (western
caribbean) and yesterday booked AGAIN on the Horizon for April 4th.
(eastern caribbean) These will be our 4th & 5th times on this ship. It
has become our favorite.

Date: Jan. 21
Port: Tampa, Fl

Questions:
Do downtown hotels offer shuttle services to the cruise port site?

No, but it is a very short taxi ride.

Are the cruise berths on Channelside drive?

Yes, at the eastern end of Channelside Drive, right next to the Florida
Aquarium.

Can you suggest downtown hotel(s) that would be close to the berths?

Just about everything in downtown Tampa is close to the pier. You mention
the Hyatt below, which is good. I stayed there pre-cruise back in April and
it was more than adequate.

I am considering the Hyatt Regency as it seems to be a Priceline hotel,
would it be a viable choice for pre-cruise accomodation?

Yes, but with Priceline, you don't get to pick your specific hotel. I bid 3
stars and $50, and was accepted. Downtown hotels mainly cater to business
clients and therefore are usually cheaper on weekends.

Thanks,

rieker5

Hope this helps.

--
I'm Tom Smith, and I approved this message.

Old November 12th, 2004, 12:32 AM
Now Voyager

Ship : Celebrity Horizon
Date: Jan. 21
Port: Tampa, Fl

Questions:
Do downtown hotels offer shuttle services to the cruise port site?
Are the cruise berths on Channelside drive?
Can you suggest downtown hotel(s) that would be close to the berths?
I am considering the Hyatt Regency as it seems to be a Priceline hotel,=20
would it be a viable choice for pre-cruise accomodation?

Can't help with hotel provided transportation but...

The Hyatt, Marriott Waterside, Courtyard by Marriott, Residence Inn,
Ramada Riverside are all downtown. Keep in mind that downtown pretty
much closes up at night (I've worked downtown for 22 years!) so you
most likely will go somewhere beyond for dinner although there are a
few restaurants that are open at night - Shalimar (Indian), Spain
(tapas/entrees), hotel restaurants of course, and restaurants at
Channelside. Other suggestions upon request.

Channelside has actually developed into a rather nice place. It
started out so slowly I never figured it would amount to much. There
is the trolley that you can pick up downtown to take you into Ybor
City where there are more restaurants, bars and movie theaters.

Hope this helps.

Doug
Old November 12th, 2004, 12:32 AM
Now Voyager

Ship : Celebrity Horizon

Old November 12th, 2004, 08:39 AM
Brian K

On 11/11/2004 12:22 PM performed
amanuensis:

Date: Jan. 21
Port: Tampa, Fl

Questions:
Do downtown hotels offer shuttle services to the cruise port site?
Are the cruise berths on Channelside drive?
Can you suggest downtown hotel(s) that would be close to the berths?
I am considering the Hyatt Regency as it seems to be a Priceline hotel,
would it be a viable choice for pre-cruise accomodation?

Thanks,

rieker5

You don't have to stay downtown. We stayed at AmeriSuites in the
"Airport" part of town. Actually you aren't that close to the airport.
It's quiet at night. There is a free shuttle to airport or cruise
ports. But we took a cab from the hotel; the shuttle van was out on an
airport pick-up when we wanted to leave. The cab didn't cost that much
and it got us to the terminal in 15 minutes.

Here's a tip: If you have a late return flight and you want to do some
sight seeing in Tampa. You can check your bags at the nearby Florida's
Aquarium. The Aquarium is worth the cost of admission. You get in-out
privileges and the street car that goes to trendy Ybor City stops right
in front of the Aquarium.

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.