German English Words

Old October 3rd, 2005, 02:50 PM
dellfalconer

Default German English Words

Shameless plug: For anyone traveling to German-speaking countries
there's a new book out called, "German English Words: A Popular
Dictionary of German Loanwords in English". It includes definitions of
how German words are used in English and also the definitions of how
those words are used in German, which is sometimes quite different.
This could help avoid a few faux pas when traveling to German-speaking
countries. You can find the book he
http://www.cafepress.com/robbsbooks.25791653

Old October 3rd, 2005, 06:27 PM
Keith Anderson

On 3 Oct 2005 06:50:07 -0700, "dellfalconer"
wrote:

Shameless plug: For anyone traveling to German-speaking countries
there's a new book out called, "German English Words: A Popular
Dictionary of German Loanwords in English". It includes definitions of
how German words are used in English and also the definitions of how
those words are used in German, which is sometimes quite different.
This could help avoid a few faux pas when traveling to German-speaking
countries. You can find the book he
http://www.cafepress.com/robbsbooks.25791653

Mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist voll mit Eels ? :-)

Keith, Bristol, UK

DE-MUNG for email replies

Old October 3rd, 2005, 06:41 PM
Earl Evleth

On 3/10/05 19:27, in article ,
"Keith Anderson" wrote:

Shameless plug: For anyone traveling to German-speaking countries
there's a new book out called, "German English Words: A Popular
Dictionary of German Loanwords in English". It includes definitions of
how German words are used in English and also the definitions of how
those words are used in German, which is sometimes quite different.
This could help avoid a few faux pas when traveling to German-speaking
countries. You can find the book he
http://www.cafepress.com/robbsbooks.25791653

Mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist voll mit Eels ? :-)

Keith, Bristol, UK

I prefer broken German.

Dog:********************** Barkenpantensniffer
Dog Catcher:************** Barkenpantensniffersnatcher
Dog Catcher's Truck:** Barkenpantensniffersnatcherwagen
Garage for Truck:******** Barkenpantensniffensnatcherwagenhaus
Truck Repairman:******** Barkenpantensniffensnatcherwagen-
mechanikerwerker

Mechanic's Union:****** Barkenpantensniffensnatcherwagen-
mechanikerwerkerfeatherbeddengefixengruppe

Automobile:********** Honkenbrakenscreecher
Gasoline:************** Honkenbrakenscreecherzoomerjuicen
Driver:*****************Honkenbrakenscreecherguide nschtunker
Auto Mechanic:**** Honkenbrakenscreecherknockengepinger-sputtergefixer
Repair Bill:*********** Bankenrollergebustenuptottenliste
*

Old October 3rd, 2005, 07:58 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

dellfalconer wrote:

Shameless plug: For anyone traveling to German-speaking countries
there's a new book out called, "German English Words: A Popular
Dictionary of German Loanwords in English". It includes definitions of
how German words are used in English and also the definitions of how
those words are used in German, which is sometimes quite different.
This could help avoid a few faux pas when traveling to German-speaking
countries. You can find the book he
http://www.cafepress.com/robbsbooks.25791653

Do they have one for French, too? A misuse of some French
words could produce embarrassing situations, too!

Old October 3rd, 2005, 08:15 PM
Runge

oh so funny

Old October 3rd, 2005, 08:19 PM
Keith Anderson

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 11:58:02 -0700, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:

dellfalconer wrote:

Shameless plug: For anyone traveling to German-speaking countries
there's a new book out called, "German English Words: A Popular
Dictionary of German Loanwords in English". It includes definitions of
how German words are used in English and also the definitions of how
those words are used in German, which is sometimes quite different.
This could help avoid a few faux pas when traveling to German-speaking
countries. You can find the book he
http://www.cafepress.com/robbsbooks.25791653

Do they have one for French, too? A misuse of some French
words could produce embarrassing situations, too!

One of my favourites is in Spanish....."estoy constipado" means "I'm
congested", i.e. I have a cold.

I don't know if a survey has been conducted as to how many
Spanish-speaking visitors to the Anglophone world have finished up
with laxatives that they didn't relly need......................

Keith, Bristol, UK

DE-MUNG for email replies

Old October 3rd, 2005, 08:28 PM
dellfalconer

Well, actually I was planning on starting a series with the German
book. Is this a vote to do the French one next?

Old October 3rd, 2005, 10:00 PM
Jens Arne Maennig

Keith Anderson wrote:

Mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist voll mit Eels ? :-)

Setzen, Herr Anderson, sechs! :-b

"Mein Luftkissenboot ist voller Aale."

An American friend of mine *always* watched the German dubbing of Monty
Python movies. He said they're much more funny this way.

Jens
Old October 3rd, 2005, 10:03 PM
bigbrian

wrote:

dellfalconer wrote:

Shameless plug: For anyone traveling to German-speaking countries
there's a new book out called, "German English Words: A Popular
Dictionary of German Loanwords in English". It includes definitions of
how German words are used in English and also the definitions of how
those words are used in German, which is sometimes quite different.
This could help avoid a few faux pas when traveling to German-speaking
countries. You can find the book he
http://www.cafepress.com/robbsbooks.25791653

Do they have one for French, too? A misuse of some French
words could produce embarrassing situations, too!

One of my favourites is in Spanish....."estoy constipado" means "I'm
congested", i.e. I have a cold.

And "embarrassada" in Spanish doesn't mean "embarrassed", it means
"pregnant".

Brian

Old October 3rd, 2005, 10:46 PM
ALAN HARRISON

"Keith Anderson" wrote in
message ...

One of my favourites is in Spanish....."estoy constipado" means "I'm
congested", i.e. I have a cold.

I don't know if a survey has been conducted as to how many
Spanish-speaking visitors to the Anglophone world have finished up
with laxatives that they didn't relly need......................

My friend Sergio mentioned a couple. In Spanish "molestar" means
"disturb/bother", and he was a bit taken aback by the reaction when he was
learning English and asked a woman, "May I molest you?" He, in turn, was
surprised when acting the fool by an Englishwoman who took him to task
saying, "Sergio, me embarazas!" No, not "You're embarrassing me" but "You're
getting me pregnant."

Alan Harrison