CRJ200 nose heavy?

Old March 10th, 2004, 07:16 AM
Jim Anderson

Default CRJ200 nose heavy?

Just flew into YOW on a brand spankin new CRJ200 on US Express (PSA). On
boarding, the FA was announcing "those with seats in the first four rows
need to go to the back of the airplane for weight and balance because this
airplaine is nose heavy."

Ok... I've done the W&B shuffle on 1900's, Saab's, the occasional ERJ and
CRJ. But announcing it on boarding is differnent. It was a light load.
So, simple fact the new the load was light and they wanted everyone in back
or are the newer CRJ's (200's atleast) heavier in the nose?

Jim

Old March 10th, 2004, 10:32 AM
Simon Elliott

Jim Anderson writes
Just flew into YOW on a brand spankin new CRJ200 on US Express (PSA). On
boarding, the FA was announcing "those with seats in the first four rows
need to go to the back of the airplane for weight and balance because this
airplaine is nose heavy."

I was always under the impression that it was a Good Thing for an
aircraft to be a bit nose heavy as it prevented stalling and, up to a
point, led to better fuel economy.

When learning to fly gliders, if I was in the front seat, the instructor
would always ask me to wear a parachute purely to make the aircraft more
nose heavy...

Ok... I've done the W&B shuffle on 1900's, Saab's, the occasional ERJ and
CRJ. But announcing it on boarding is differnent. It was a light load.
So, simple fact the new the load was light and they wanted everyone in back
or are the newer CRJ's (200's atleast) heavier in the nose?

I recall this (or perhaps the opposite of this?) when boarding Russian
airliners (eg TU154M) IIRC due to the position of the main gear. If too
many people were in the back the aircraft would tilt backwards.

--
Simon Elliott
http://www.ctsn.co.uk/

Old March 10th, 2004, 11:54 AM
freeda

I was always under the impression that it was a Good Thing for an
aircraft to be a bit nose heavy as it prevented stalling and, up to a
point, led to better fuel economy.

When learning to fly gliders, if I was in the front seat, the instructor
would always ask me to wear a parachute purely to make the aircraft more
nose heavy...

I once took a ride in an old Piper Cub, and remember a sign on the dashboard
saying 'if flying solo, use the back seat'. Pehaps that's because the Cub is
a tail dragger.

IIRC, a forward CofG will help prvent stalling, but it can also make the
controls very sluggish. Having said that a CofG to far forward is infinitely
preferable to one too far back which leads to very twitchy controls and a
tendency for the aircraft to stall.

Old March 10th, 2004, 02:01 PM
DALing

for all 4 rows to be asked, it must have been a pretty empty flight. If too
nose heavy, there is a lack of elevator to lift the nose for TO. While
still below gross, it just makes for a lot higher rotate speed necessary

Old March 10th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Jim Anderson

Ahhh... that makes sense... Couldn't have been more the 20 on board...
just an odd occurance.

Old March 10th, 2004, 08:29 PM
nobody

Jim Anderson writes
Just flew into YOW on a brand spankin new CRJ200 on US Express (PSA). On
boarding, the FA was announcing "those with seats in the first four rows
need to go to the back of the airplane for weight and balance because this
airplaine is nose heavy."

Remember that the flying skidoo has its wings fairly aft, since the engines
are on the back.

So the further up front you are, the more "leverage" you have to tilt the
plane down.