colonial williamsburg???

Old April 25th, 2007, 09:50 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Harry Palmer

Default colonial williamsburg???

Hi we are thinking about going to Colonial williamsburg from Chicago and
would welcome any advice about the place you might have from first hand
experience. Thanks in advance

Hp

--
It is important that students bring a certain ragamuffin, barefoot,
irreverence to their studies; they are not here to worship what is known,

Old April 25th, 2007, 11:36 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Newby

"Harry Palmer" wrote in message
t...
Hi we are thinking about going to Colonial williamsburg from Chicago and
would welcome any advice about the place you might have from first hand
experience. Thanks in advance

Hp

What are your interests? When are you coming? How long do you plan to
stay? How will you be arriving? Plane? Train? Bus? Personal auto? There
can be a lot of walking involved, will that be a problem.

Bush Gardens and Water Country amusement parks are nearby as is Jamestown.
There is a lot of activity at Jamestown with this being the 400th
Anniversary of the landing at Jamestown.

Try the following Colonial Williamsburg website to get you started:

www.history.org

Post back with answers to the above questions for more help.

Old April 26th, 2007, 12:28 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Harry Palmer

"Newby" wrote in message

"Harry Palmer" wrote in message
t...
Hi we are thinking about going to Colonial williamsburg from Chicago and
would welcome any advice about the place you might have from first hand
experience. Thanks in advance

Hp

What are your interests? When are you coming? How long do you plan to
stay? How will you be arriving? Plane? Train? Bus? Personal auto? There
can be a lot of walking involved, will that be a problem.

Bush Gardens and Water Country amusement parks are nearby as is Jamestown.
There is a lot of activity at Jamestown with this being the 400th
Anniversary of the landing at Jamestown.

Try the following Colonial Williamsburg website to get you started:

www.history.org

Post back with answers to the above questions for more help.

hey there, thanks for the interest here are the answers

What are your interests? Being Ex Brits we are interested in the history
side of things. We live in Chicago so we get the Six flags thing all the
time so it's really just the history stuff.

When are you coming? June 1st - 5th
How long do you plan to stay? 5 days
How will you be arriving? Plane, train from Chicago is too long and the
sleeping car way too expensive for what it is.

There can be a lot of walking involved, will that be a problem? Nope we are
pretty fit and like walking.

I just finished reading the article about Jamestown in the National
Geographic, seems that the settlers weren't complete muppets after all,
there were excellent reasons to set up the settlement where they did. I
thought they were just lazy and stupid. I also was amazed how much the worms
they brought with them, changed the environment. The web site you sent is a
great start thanks.

Harry Palmer

Old April 26th, 2007, 02:26 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Newby

"Harry Palmer" wrote in message
.. .

"Newby" wrote in message

[...]

For starters I suggest you fly into Newport News-Williamsburg International,
airport code PHF, or into Richmond, Va, airport code RIC. PHF is about 20
minutes from Colonial Williamsburg (CW); RIC is about 45 minutes from CW.
Norfolk International, airport code ORF, is about 45 minutes away without
any traffic problems. That's kind of iffy however since you have to travel
through the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel from Norfolk to get to Williamsburg.
The smallest problem will cause traffic to back up and you could easily
spend 1-2 hours trying to get through the tunnel in the summertime on the
week-end.

The Williamsburg Lodge is just to one side ( about two blocks) of the
restored area and is a great location to serve as a base for you. I believe
tickets to Colonial Williamsburg are included with your room price for the
duration of your stay. Although I live locally, I have stayed at the Lodge
and found it very comfortable. Note that I said the Lodge and not the Inn.
The Inn, while very nice, is a bit pricey.

You should consider 1 1/2 days for CW, 1/2 day for Jamestown (a whole day if
you want to ride the ferry down the James River over to Surry) 1 day for
Yorktown and another day to ride up Route 5 to visit some of the plantation
homes along the James River. Several of the homes are open to the public
for a fee. You will need a car for the visit to Jamestown, Yorktown and the
ride up Route 5. There are evening programs in Colonial Williamsburg so
check the calendar on the www.history.org website. Leaves you one day to
shop and do any other fun stuff that catches your eye while visiting the
Historic Triangle; Jamestown, Yorktown and Williamsburg.

Old April 26th, 2007, 01:35 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Harry Palmer

"Newby" wrote in message

[...]

First of all this was amazingly helpful and I thank you for taking the time.
I tried to book the lodge and inn for my dates but they do not have any
rooms available. What about Hiltons ? I have many Hilton points. Which would
you stay at if you wanted to check out Williamsburg, Jamestown but not the
plantation homes. We think the two historical sites will be fine. We'll take
2-3 days at CW and take your advice about the ferry, sounds fun. Thank you
again for your help so far.

Harry

Old April 26th, 2007, 02:30 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Newby

"Newby" wrote in message

[...]

For Hilton properties, I would suggest Homewood Suites at 601 Bypass Road.
The Homewood Suites is in a quieter and prettier area; close to the Colonial
Williamsburg visitor's center. This hotel is fairly new.

An older property, Hampton Inn at 1800 Richmond Road would also be a good
choice. The Hampton Inn is in a very good location but on a busy road.
Lots of hotels/motels on Richmond Road along with many places to eat and
shop.

I don't believe you would go wrong with either of these.

You are going to need a car to get around.

Old April 26th, 2007, 03:13 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
LVTravel[_2_]

"Newby" wrote in message

[...]

There is also a Hilton Garden Inn on Rt. 60 (Richmond Road) about 1/2 mile
or so from the Homewood Suites. Hilton also has an "older" Embassy Suites
just off Moorestown road which is also near the Homewood Suites. I have
stayed at the Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden Inn and the Embassy Suites and
found all of them to be quality places. Depending on your HHonors level you
do get different amenities, of course, at each property.

Old April 26th, 2007, 05:48 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Harry Palmer

"Newby" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for the info I'll try and book into the homewood suites and see what
happens ;-) When you say I need a car, if I said all I want to do is to
visit Cw and Jamestown ( with ferry trip), could I use taxi's or the hotel's
minibus to get me to and from the attractions? I really don't like paying
for a car and having it sit around.
Hp

Old April 26th, 2007, 09:39 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Newby

"Newby" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, you could use taxis. Jamestown Island (location of the original
settlement) is about 8-10 miles from the restored area and perhaps 12 miles
from Homewood Suites. The reconstructed settlement is about the same
distance. The ferry is nearby so it too is about the same.

If the hotel minibus will take you to the Visitor's Center, and you buy a
ticket to the CW buildings and then ride the free bus to CW. It stops
throughout the restored area and runs all day into the evening. The CW
restored area is about a 20 minute (no more) pleasant walk from the
visitor's center if you decide to walk. There are horse drawn carriage
rides available in the restored area but they sell out quick. If you want
to experience a carriage ride, buy your ticket early in the day or you will
miss out.

Should be a great time.

Old April 26th, 2007, 11:26 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Harry Palmer

"Newby" wrote in message

"Harry Palmer" wrote in message
t...
Hi we are thinking about going to Colonial williamsburg from Chicago and
would welcome any advice about the place you might have from first hand
experience. Thanks in advance

Hp

What are your interests? When are you coming? How long do you plan to
stay? How will you be arriving? Plane? Train? Bus? Personal auto? There
can be a lot of walking involved, will that be a problem.

Bush Gardens and Water Country amusement parks are nearby as is Jamestown.
There is a lot of activity at Jamestown with this being the 400th
Anniversary of the landing at Jamestown.

Try the following Colonial Williamsburg website to get you started:

www.history.org

Post back with answers to the above questions for more help.

thank you to everyone that helped us in this thread, the information was
excellent and I really appreciate it. You are all really great people and I
thank you again for taking the time.

Harry Palmer