Caribbean - the perfect climate?

Old May 10th, 2004, 01:41 PM
Earl Evleth

Default Caribbean - the perfect climate?

On 10/05/04 1:33, in article ,
"strawberry icecream" wrote:

I was wondering where in the Caribbean (or anywhere in the world) would
posters recommend for the perfect climate?

This would also include having little danger of hurricanes, volcanic
activity, earthquakes, etc.

Any suggestions?

The whole region has the possibility of a hurricane, although I suspect
the very south area (Union to Grenada) might have, presently, fewer
incidents.

Volcanic problems are rarer than hurricanes. There are only a couple of
islands afflicted. Montserrat is notorious. Mount Pelée in Martinique
blew up in 1902 and only 2 out of 30000 people survived the disaster. Sounds
like a Hollywood movie. Otherwise there are no problems.

The weather and water supply are another problem, there are dry seasons and
the smaller islands have a constant water supply problem.

If one is an occasional visitor, one just does not plan on going to
the Caribbean in the hurricane season, which is mainly from August
on into the Fall.

There are no January hurricanes. Nor December, nor February, March
April, May etc. The problem is rather with rain is in the wet
season.

If one wishes to live there, that is another problem. Do you have
enough money and will they accept you? Personally, I have no particular
problem in having both US and French citizenship, so I could live
in the French islands (including the French side of Saint Martin)
without any formalities.

The French generally have no problem granting visas to retired people
of any nationality who want to live on French territory. To qualify you
have to have a private income and insure yourself for health coverage. No
beach bums, please!

But the US does not had out such visas even to the rich so I imagine
that a rich European could not just go to he American Virgins and
live.

Earl

Old May 10th, 2004, 02:08 PM
Kurt Ullman

In article , Earl Evleth
wrote:

The whole region has the possibility of a hurricane, although I suspect
the very south area (Union to Grenada) might have, presently, fewer
incidents.

Arubans always remind us when we go that they are outside of the hurricane
area. Don't have any active volcanoes. The only problem would be the wind.

"Writers even write the silences"
-J. Michael Straczynski
Old May 10th, 2004, 03:58 PM
Earl Evleth

On 10/05/04 15:08, in article
.net, "Kurt Ullman"
wrote:

In article , Earl Evleth
wrote:

The whole region has the possibility of a hurricane, although I suspect
the very south area (Union to Grenada) might have, presently, fewer
incidents.

Arubans always remind us when we go that they are outside of the hurricane
area. Don't have any active volcanoes. The only problem would be the wind.

The 1990-1999 map of passage is given at

http://stormcarib.com/climatology/ecar_isl.htm

It shows a lot more passing to the north

However in the prior decades a lot more passed through the south.

The spread was very even in 1930-39, for instance.

The trajectories of the storms may have changed to. Looking at
1890-99 some essentially went nearly North South instead of east
west into the Gulf of Mexico.(before sometimes heading north
to hit Œthe US).

Why the change? No idea. If anybody knows anything they can inform us.

For the period 1990-99 the Monthly sequence was

giving the date, wind, category and name.

25 Jul 1990 60 ts ARTHUR
14 Aug 1990 35 ts FRAN
5 Oct 1990 70 h1 KLAUS
7 Aug 1993 50 ts BRET
14 Aug 1993 35 ts CINDY
10 Sep 1994 60 ts DEBBY
13 Jul 1995 30 td CHANTAL
28 Aug 1995 60 ts IRIS
5 Sep 1995 125 h4 LUIS
16 Sep 1995 95 h2 MARILYN
23 Oct 1995 40 ts SEBASTIEN
9 Jul 1996 80 h1 BERTHA
25 Jul 1996 30 td CESAR
9 Sep 1996 70 h1 HORTENSE
6 Sep 1997 75 h1 ERIKA
21 Aug 1998 50 ts BONNIE
21 Sep 1998 100 h3 GEORGES
20 Oct 1999 85 h2 JOSE
17 Nov 1999 130 h4 LENNY

Since the storms are given birth off the African coast when sea temperatures
pass a certain threshold, these conditions usually are met until late July
on. A lot of storms are given birth too and then peter out. A very few
continue to gather strength and continue on across the Atlanic.

The above web site is fairly informative.

Earl

Old May 10th, 2004, 06:06 PM
Allodoxaphobia

On Mon, 10 May 2004 13:08:04 GMT, Kurt Ullman hath writ:
In article , Earl Evleth
wrote:

The whole region has the possibility of a hurricane, although I suspect
the very south area (Union to Grenada) might have, presently, fewer
incidents.

Arubans always remind us when we go that they are outside of the hurricane
area. Don't have any active volcanoes. The only problem would be the wind.

Don't complain about the wind. Without it both the humidity _and_ the
mosquitoes rise to intolerable levels.

Old May 10th, 2004, 06:19 PM
Rhythmwize

In article , Earl Evleth says...

The whole region has the possibility of a hurricane, although I suspect
the very south area (Union to Grenada) might have, presently, fewer
incidents.

Its my understanding Trinidad has been free of a direct hit by a hurricane
although Tobago took a big hit in 1963 and they are only a short distance to the
north.

Volcanic problems are rarer than hurricanes. There are only a couple of
islands afflicted. Montserrat is notorious. Mount Pelée in Martinique
blew up in 1902 and only 2 out of 30000 people survived the disaster. Sounds
like a Hollywood movie. Otherwise there are no problems.

There have been problems with earthquakes. A massive earthquake hit Port Royal
Jamaica in 1692 killing 2000 people and there have been others. Any volcanic
island, read lush green islands with mountains, represents a region with a
potential for earthquakes.

john

Old May 10th, 2004, 06:31 PM
Earl Evleth

On 10/05/04 19:06, in article
, "Allodoxaphobia"
wrote:

Don't complain about the wind. Without it both the humidity _and_ the
mosquitoes rise to intolerable levels.

And sailing, don't forget the sailing! For those who are simple minded
sailors, the Caribbean has manageable winds. One wants some, not too much
nor too little, and there are plenty of spots for easy sailing, like in
BVI.

I can be seen standing at the helm at

http://homepage.mac.com/evleth/PhotoAlbum7.html

Look at that lovely beach (photo 4, the photos can be
clicked for enlargement). The beach on on the south
shore of Saint Martin.

My daughter is actually the skipper so the "capitan"
bit a family joke. I actually wash the dishes.

But the photos make you want to GO THERE NOW?

If you can "do it".

Earl

Old May 10th, 2004, 07:43 PM
Brian K

On 05/10/2004 1:19 PM Rhythmwize plucked Senior Frog's Magic Twanger
and said:

In article , Earl Evleth says...

[...]

In regards to hurricanes, refer to Key West. In the RC Church, Our Lady
of Knock on Truman Ave is a shrine to a Nun. This nun was one of the
sole survivor of a killer hurricane in the 1930's. She had lashed
herself to the church steeple of the former Our Lady of Knock church.
While the island was awash she rang the church bell to let any survivors
know that it was above the tidal surge. After the water and storm
subsided she said a prayer of thanks for her own survival. She also
prayed that Key West would never be visited with such devastation. To
this day a hurricane eye has never passed over Key West. There has
never been a dramatic loss of life due to hurricane in Key West since
the Key West Nun prayed for it's protection. If you have to be anywhere
suseptable to these storms during hurricane season, make it Key West.
Be sure to stop by Our Lady of Knock and say a prayer to the Key West Nun.

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.

Old May 11th, 2004, 05:00 PM
Yaofeng

Earl Evleth wrote in message ...
On 10/05/04 1:33, in article ,
"strawberry icecream" wrote:

I was wondering where in the Caribbean (or anywhere in the world) would
posters recommend for the perfect climate?

This would also include having little danger of hurricanes, volcanic
activity, earthquakes, etc.

Any suggestions?

Aruba has be a leading candidate. No hurricane, temperature
consistently in the 80's year round. There is no need for weather
forecast. It is sunny everyday.

But too much sunshine makes a desert. Aruba is almost desert like.
Old May 12th, 2004, 12:03 AM
Cruising Chrissy

On Tue, 11 May 2004 22:53:06 GMT, strawberry icecream
wrote:

I had never really been to a buggy country before...here in Britain, i
always get attacked my midges and stuff.

You get attacked by midgets? Picadilly Circus?

"Mother Goose, so I turned her loose as she was screaming.
Really true there are elephants, lions too in Picadilly circus"

Now midgets attacking?
Old May 12th, 2004, 01:14 AM
Rosalie B.

strawberry icecream wrote:

Cruising Chrissy wrote in
:

wrote:

I had never really been to a buggy country before...here in Britain, i
always get attacked my midges and stuff.

You get attacked by midgets? Picadilly Circus?

"Mother Goose, so I turned her loose as she was screaming.
Really true there are elephants, lions too in Picadilly circus"

Now midgets attacking?

LOL at the imagary

Nah, over in northern UK...Scotland and Ireland, we have these wee
things called 'midges'

I think they also have another name...but I can't recall it at present.

They come out around sunset in the summer time, for an hour or two.
They are tiny...invisible....you can feel them bite your neck and scalp.

Maybe you mean no-see-ums or gnats. In the Bahamas they have the
sunset/evening no-see-ums and they also have ones that are out in the
daytime too. No-see-ums can go through regular screening.

They are pretty unbearable. Many people complain that they are far
worse than mosquitos. But I have no way of comparing, since I have yet
to bump into a mosquito.

Mosquitos (just the females which are the only ones that bite) make a
whining noise. Very high frequency noise-if you have a noise induced
hearing loss, you might not be able to hear them. They are also
mostly out at night.

There is no place in the world that has a perfect climate. Hurricanes
or other similar storms occur everywhere. And if there aren't
hurricanes there are tornados. Earthquakes and volcanos (which are
associated with the same geological features) are mainly around the
fault lines, but you can have earthquakes in the eastern and southern
USA - they aren't restricted to California. Some places are too cold,
some places are too hot. Some are too wet and some are too dry. Some
are too humid, some are too foggy, some are too windy etc etc.

The best you can do is decide what is an acceptable risk for you and
go for it. IMHO the cost of living and the medical care are at least
equally important when deciding where to live.

So if I were doing it, I would ignore the volcanic origin of the BVI -
I don't think it is a real threat. Hurricanes OTOH would be.

If I were going to spend extended time there, I might consider Belize
- the highlands do not have bug problems - don't have screens just
like London. And they speak English and it's relatively volcano free
and the hurricanes are not very frequent, especially inland.

Bermuda is lovely, but they do have storms (c.f. The Tempest by
Shakespeare which is about Bermuda). They are non-volcanic in origin
but it's expensive to live there. It's more of a temperate climate
rather than tropical.
grandma Rosalie