Motorhome v air & hotels

Old December 10th, 2007, 12:27 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Calif Bill

Default Motorhome v air & hotels

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in
message ...

"Calif Bill" wrote in message

"Jochen Kriegerowski" wrote in message
"Hatunen" schrieb

I've seen many, many in the USA that don't, including some of the
more ubiquitous ones, like Motel 6.

Maybe - I'm only familiar with the situation in Canada and thought
it would be more or less the same in the US.

Part of the problem with using motel cooking facilities is food
storage, since you will be on the road again in a day or two.
Either you must carry a lareg ice chest in your car or you must
buy your supplies in small, less economic quantities.

Oh, right, that's true. You shouldn't buy large quantities of
food that needs refrigeration. But then, I travel alone, so I
wouldn't want to buy cheaper 'family size' packages anyway:
I don't want to eat the same meals throughout my vacation g

Just think, with an RV you can enjoy the cameraderie of Slab
City, California: http://www.slabcity.org/

Well, ehmmm, "Chacun a son gout", as you said ;-)

Jochen

Lots of the hotels in Canada do not have a refrigerator or cooking
facilities. Most are the upscale variety. As to the bed in the RV, most
any more are innerspring mattresses, just like a home unit. Except my
home mattress is air filled (Select Comfort) and my slide in truck camper
mattress is an innerspring mattress. More comfortable than some of the
motel mattresses I have used. And you can park in just about any
hospital parking lot for free. They think you may have a loved one in
the hospital and do not hassle you. As I said depends on where you are
traveling and distances. Driving to Alaska, you can do the motel route,
but talking to a couple of people who were doing it that way, they said
it was hard. You had to time your travels and hope there was a room
available. We used RV parks, Provincial and State parks and some free
camping.

Having driven to Alaska I wouldnt describe getting motel rooms as hard. It
may
be in August but in late June it was never a problem.

Keith

The people we talked to said that either a motel was filled in the more
remote areas, or you stopped early for the day. The major cities Prince
George, White Horse, should not be a problem, but there are long miles of
nothing on the roads up there.

Old December 10th, 2007, 11:45 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

"Calif Bill" wrote in message

"sharx35" wrote in message

"Calif Bill" wrote in message

[...]

Uh, when we went up to Yukon and Alaska, we reserved AHEAD of time. What
a concept! That way, there was ALWAYS a room waiting for us, usually with
a small fridge and a stove.

Provincial and State parks and some free camping.

and you missed out on spur of the moment side trips. Your loss.

We built enough wiggle room into our plans that most of these spur of the
moment things could be accommodated. Some, though, did have to be left to
the NEXT trip. Hopefully, you got to experience the Liard Hot Springs?

Old December 10th, 2007, 08:31 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Calif Bill

"sharx35" wrote in message

"Calif Bill" wrote in message

[...]

You mean the Liard Mosquito feeding station? Yes.

Old December 11th, 2007, 09:35 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw

"Calif Bill" wrote in message

Having driven to Alaska I wouldnt describe getting motel rooms as hard.
It may
be in August but in late June it was never a problem.

Keith

The people we talked to said that either a motel was filled in the more
remote areas, or you stopped early for the day. The major cities Prince
George, White Horse, should not be a problem, but there are long miles of
nothing on the roads up there.

Sure but I there seemed to be plenty of rooms in Dawson Creek,
Fort St John , Fort Nelson, Teslin and Tok. The only place I booked
as it was necessary was Muncho Lake and that was just a lodge.

I took 3 days from Dawson Creek to Anchorage and that
was not hard driving, I never did more than 8 hours a day

Keith

Old December 12th, 2007, 05:58 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Calif Bill

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in
message ...

"Calif Bill" wrote in message

Having driven to Alaska I wouldnt describe getting motel rooms as hard.
It may
be in August but in late June it was never a problem.

Keith

The people we talked to said that either a motel was filled in the more
remote areas, or you stopped early for the day. The major cities Prince
George, White Horse, should not be a problem, but there are long miles of
nothing on the roads up there.

Sure but I there seemed to be plenty of rooms in Dawson Creek,
Fort St John , Fort Nelson, Teslin and Tok. The only place I booked
as it was necessary was Muncho Lake and that was just a lodge.

I took 3 days from Dawson Creek to Anchorage and that
was not hard driving, I never did more than 8 hours a day

Keith

We drove less that that lots of days. Just reporting what people we talked
to that were driving a non-camping vehicle stated.

Old December 12th, 2007, 07:50 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in
message ...

"Calif Bill" wrote in message

Having driven to Alaska I wouldnt describe getting motel rooms as hard.
It may
be in August but in late June it was never a problem.

Keith

The people we talked to said that either a motel was filled in the more
remote areas, or you stopped early for the day. The major cities Prince
George, White Horse, should not be a problem, but there are long miles of
nothing on the roads up there.

Sure but I there seemed to be plenty of rooms in Dawson Creek,
Fort St John , Fort Nelson, Teslin and Tok. The only place I booked
as it was necessary was Muncho Lake and that was just a lodge.

We stayed in Muncho Lake for a couple of days. Hired a lodge operator to
take us up in his plane. Beautiful!

Old December 12th, 2007, 10:21 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw

"sharx35" wrote in message

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in
message ...

"Calif Bill" wrote in message

Having driven to Alaska I wouldnt describe getting motel rooms as hard.
It may
be in August but in late June it was never a problem.

Keith

The people we talked to said that either a motel was filled in the more
remote areas, or you stopped early for the day. The major cities Prince
George, White Horse, should not be a problem, but there are long miles
of nothing on the roads up there.

Sure but I there seemed to be plenty of rooms in Dawson Creek,
Fort St John , Fort Nelson, Teslin and Tok. The only place I booked
as it was necessary was Muncho Lake and that was just a lodge.

We stayed in Muncho Lake for a couple of days. Hired a lodge operator to
take us up in his plane. Beautiful!

Probably the same lodge, the planes took off just behind it. I was
recommended to spend some time there and was glad I did.

Keith