Shopping in New York or Washington?

Old April 8th, 2004, 04:02 AM
H J Angus

Default Shopping in New York or Washington?

Hi

I will be spending a few days in each of these places.
Any suggestions on where is a good place to shop for everyday goods?
Any thoughts about the King of Prussia Mall near Philadelphia?

My wife likes to shop for bargains - me, I like to watch other
shoppers if I have a place to rest my feet!

Thanks.
Harold
Old April 8th, 2004, 08:00 AM
Brian K

On 04/07/2004 11:02 PM H J Angus wrote:

Hi

I will be spending a few days in each of these places.
Any suggestions on where is a good place to shop for everyday goods?
Any thoughts about the King of Prussia Mall near Philadelphia?

My wife likes to shop for bargains - me, I like to watch other
shoppers if I have a place to rest my feet!

Thanks.
Harold

You can buy knock offs of just about any designer in Chinatown on
certain streets. There's also the old Hessadic Jewish section of town
near Hester Street. They have sidewalk sales on weekends. What kind of
everyday goods? There are discount drug stores and supermarkets all
over the city. At some of the Korean fruit markets I've picked up
really tasty fruits. King of Prussia is just like any shopping mall
anywhere in the country. Nothing really special there. The Meadowlands
outside of New York City has an outdoor mall. It's mostly factory
outletts, everything from Noritaki fine china to Champion Sportswear and
lots in between. Cranbury, NJ has a Lennox outlet that has some good
sales from time to time. I don't know if you have TJ Maxx, Marshalls or
Bob's Stores. Here in New Jersey you can get some really good buys at
these stores. TJ Maxx and Marshalls are mens and women's wear. Bob's
store is mostly mens casual and sports wear with some womens things and
a really good selection of sports and casual shoes. If you can spot a
Bob's along the highway, it'd be a good spot to pick up an extra pair of
walking shoes.

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.

Old April 8th, 2004, 10:32 AM
Miguel Cruz

H J Angus wrote:
I will be spending a few days in each of these places.
Any suggestions on where is a good place to shop for everyday goods?

There is nothing to buy in DC.

miguel
Old April 8th, 2004, 02:27 PM
pltrgyst

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 09:32:16 GMT, Miguel Cruz
wrote:

There is nothing to buy in DC.

Except perhaps a Congressman or two...

-- Larry

Old April 8th, 2004, 02:55 PM
Juliana L Holm

There is very little in the way of Bargains in the Washington area.
Two major "Outlet" malls come to mind, Potomac Mills in Dale City and
Leesburg outlets in Leesburg. Both would require a car, and are close
to an hour out of DC. (well maybe closer to 40 minutes).

Not IMHO a good use of time if you are in DC.

Specialty goods are a little different. There are some great little shops
in chinatown with good prices. And several of the Smithsonian museums have
incredible little gift shops.

Or BIG gift shops.

Julie

**********
http://www.dragonsholm.org/travel.htm
Old April 8th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Brian K

On 04/08/2004 5:32 AM Miguel Cruz wrote:

H J Angus wrote:

I will be spending a few days in each of these places.
Any suggestions on where is a good place to shop for everyday goods?

There is nothing to buy in DC.

miguel

Except crooked politicians! ;-)

--
________

Old April 8th, 2004, 04:26 PM
Oxygene2002

non-smoking restaurants in Washington
http://www.smokefreeworld.com/dc.shtml
Old April 8th, 2004, 08:35 PM
Miguel Cruz

pltrgyst wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
There is nothing to buy in DC.

Except perhaps a Congressman or two...

Good point. And actually they're quite a bargain - it's almost alarming how
cheap most of them are.

http://www.opensecrets.org

miguel
Old April 8th, 2004, 09:15 PM
Brian Wasson

King of Prussia Mall outside of Philadelphia is one of the nation's
largest malls (it used to be the biggest), and has plenty of shopping
to keep your wife happy for hours. It's right off the Pennsylvania
Turnpike in King of Prussia/Valley Forge (if you like history, drop
her off at the mall and then head over to Valley Forge National
Historic Park and check out the sights there).

Reading, Pa., about another 45 minutes from King of Prussia, has one
of the largest concentrations of outlets in the USA. If you are
serious about shopping, you'll want to stop there. It's actually a bus
tour destination for the region!

Just off Interstate 95 in the northeast part of Philadelphia is
Franklin Mills Mall, a large outlet center (another destination mall).
Take the Woodhaven Road exit off I-95, and drive about five minutes
west and you'll find it. It has a very wide range of stores, from
Wal-Mart and CompUSA (computers) to specialty outlet stores and large
department store outlets. It's probably the most convenient to your
NYC-DC transit if you are driving along I-95.

Finally, there is a small outlet mall directly adjacent to I-95 on the
Maryland-Delaware border. I can't remember the name of it.

Brian W.