BOS Airport Hotels (plus EWR and LGW) -- comments / suggestions pls

Old March 26th, 2004, 03:42 AM
Steve

Default BOS Airport Hotels (plus EWR and LGW) -- comments / suggestions pls

Greetings --

Looking for suggestions in regards to Hotels near or on-site at the Boston
Airport. From looking at the official airport website, it seems there is a
Hyatt, a Hilton, and an Embassy Suites by Hilton.

Any others on the premises or nearby that aren't listed by chance? Last
but not least, for any of you familiar with the above hotels, which would be
the best choice? FWIW, I can get the same price at the Hilton and the
Embassy Suites, whereas the Hyatt is a good deal more expensive for the
night I need.

FWIW, I'll be flying in from overseas, clearing US Customs, and am looking
for a nice place to stay for the night and get a good nights sleep before a
second day of flying with business meetings in the afternoon. Right now I'm
leaning towards to the Embassy Suites, but if anyone is familiar with these
specific properties I would much appreciate it.

Being brand-name properties, I would expect them to all be good, but at
other airports I've been quite disappointed with major chain lodging (i.e.
the Radisson JFK comes to mind -- the place leaves a lot to be desired and
doesn't compare to other Radisson's I've stayed at).

While on the subject of airport hotels, any advice for EWR? I've stayed at
the 4-points by Sheraton @ EWR in the past and didn't particularly care for
it. I'm considering the EWR Hilton for my next EWR overnight layover (prior
to an overseas flight), but I would appreciate advice.

Last but not least, since on the subject, how about LGW lodging? I've
stayed at the LGW Marriott Renessance several times over the past few
months -- I have had a couple of good stays, but have had a few bad ones.
While it's decently priced at 60 quid, it's been unpredictable and of five
visits, the jacuzzi has never been working/open (either chemicals out of
whack or maint problems). Other problems include heat not working and
broken lifts (elevators) on a semi-regular basis. I'd like to find
something with more consistency at LGW when it comes to service and
functional facilities. When traveling to London (and using LGW), I often
stay at an LGW airport hotel the night prior to returning to the states to
avoid the trip from central London in the morning.

Thanks,

Steve

Old March 26th, 2004, 04:37 AM
cj

Steve wrote:
Greetings --

Looking for suggestions in regards to Hotels near or on-site at the Boston
Airport. From looking at the official airport website, it seems there is a
Hyatt, a Hilton, and an Embassy Suites by Hilton.

Any others on the premises or nearby that aren't listed by chance? Last
but not least, for any of you familiar with the above hotels, which would be
the best choice? FWIW, I can get the same price at the Hilton and the
Embassy Suites, whereas the Hyatt is a good deal more expensive for the
night I need.

Marriott Long Wharf, Seaport Hotel, and Boston Harbor Hotel are within a
few miles. I'm rather nervous about recommending any Hiltons as many of
the ones I've stayed in seem to be of less quality than some Budget Inns
but charge prices of 4 or 5 star places. I know the Marriott is great,
but also with a price to match.
Old March 26th, 2004, 05:56 AM
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

"Steve" wrote:

Last but not least, since on the subject, how about LGW lodging? I've
stayed at the LGW Marriott Renessance several times over the past few
months -- I have had a couple of good stays, but have had a few bad ones.
While it's decently priced at 60 quid, it's been unpredictable and of five
visits, the jacuzzi has never been working/open (either chemicals out of
whack or maint problems). Other problems include heat not working and
broken lifts (elevators) on a semi-regular basis. I'd like to find
something with more consistency at LGW when it comes to service and
functional facilities. When traveling to London (and using LGW), I often
stay at an LGW airport hotel the night prior to returning to the states to
avoid the trip from central London in the morning.

I've been happy enough with the Copthorne. There's a on-property lesiure centre
that is nice and the private bar is good also. Best thing for me is that the
rooms are quiet. Can be a bit confusing to find your room though. The halls are
long and not necesarily logical.

Don't think you'll get a room there for £60, but they do offer a shuttle bus
from the airport. The trip to the hotel is free, but you'll pay a few bob for
the trip back. That can be charged to your room tab if you remember to ask at
the desk.

Old March 26th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Steve

"cj" wrote in message news:0AN8c.4670$Q45.778@fed1read02...
Steve wrote:
[...]

I'll have a look at the Marriott site again (which is usually the first
place I start for the exact reason you mention above). When I first
checked, I didn't see any Marriott's labeled as "airport" hotels and got the
impression they were a bit further distant from the airport. In general
I've found Marriott to be the most consistent of any chain.

FWIW, I called Marriott last night for a couple of other bookings. Grabbed a
resort property in Malaysia for $70 USD nightly (looks nice) and for a 12
hour layover at KUL, I found an incredible price for the KUL Ritz Carlton
(under $100 USD).. The prices for the hotels I found were absolutely
incredible.

Steve

Old March 27th, 2004, 12:17 AM
Jim Anderson

Steve wrote:
[...]

All three you mention are across the harbor (can be a serious transportation
hassle) and are also three of the most expensive in town.

I've stayed in Hilton, Hyatt and Embassy on site several times each. Nicest
and closest is the Hilton. Embassy is brand new (about a year old). Hyatt
is overpriced for what you get. I'd say it's a toss up between the Hilton
and Embassy. I usually shoot for the Hilton first but have no second
thoughts about the Embassy. If they're both full, I'd go into town,
actually before I'd stay at the Hyatt.

Old March 28th, 2004, 03:10 PM
Steve

"Jim Anderson" wrote in message

"cj" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to do the Embassy Suites for my layover
at BOS as I managed to snag a good deal. The pricing at the Hyatt is
ridicilous compared to the Hilton and Embassy, presuming the properties are
similar in what they offer (unless the Hyatt offers a great deal more, but
from looking at the Hyatt & Hilton websites, I don't see any significant
difference).

The ES looks good from their website, has a 6pm cx policy vs a 4pm on the
Hilton, the property has the ammenties I'm seeking, and a nice dip in the
jacuzzu will be good after a long day of international travel. Just too
bad I'm departing early in the AM the next day and can't take advantage of
the breakfast included at the ES. The later cx policy is good in case I
need to back out at the last minute because of flight irregularities (not
expecting any, but you just never know).

I did look at the Marriott -- looks good, but I don't want to deal with any
transportation hassle. I just want to go from plane, clear US
Immigrations/Customs and get to the hotel without any hassle.

Steve