car rental in Mexico

Old September 25th, 2003, 12:11 AM
samng

Default car rental in Mexico

hi!!!

Is it a good idea to fly to San Diego and take a trolley to Tijuana and rent
a car there. I figured you have to buy Mexican insurance anyway.

Thanks for the input

sam

Old September 25th, 2003, 01:01 AM
mrtravel

samng wrote:
hi!!!

Is it a good idea to fly to San Diego and take a trolley to Tijuana and rent
a car there. I figured you have to buy Mexican insurance anyway.

You should compare rates on both sides of the border.
However, it would usually be quicker NOT to drive back across the border.

Old September 25th, 2003, 02:40 AM
James Robinson

samng wrote:

Is it a good idea to fly to San Diego and take a trolley to Tijuana and rent
a car there. I figured you have to buy Mexican insurance anyway.

The car rental rates in Mexico will take your breath away. I've rented
at anywhere from $75 to $110 per day for a VW Golf in places like
Monterrey and Mexico City.

I've never tried to rent a car in the US to take to Mexico, but whenever
I've rented in places like El Paso, the contract typically has a note in
big red letters that states the car cannot be taken into Mexico. I
don't know if they have cars that you can, you'd have to ask.
Old September 25th, 2003, 05:55 AM
mrtravel

James Robinson wrote:
samng wrote:

Is it a good idea to fly to San Diego and take a trolley to Tijuana and rent
a car there. I figured you have to buy Mexican insurance anyway.

The car rental rates in Mexico will take your breath away. I've rented
at anywhere from $75 to $110 per day for a VW Golf in places like
Monterrey and Mexico City.

I got a VW Jetta for $35 from Avis in Mex City a couple of weeks ago.
4 day rental from the airport. I booked a economy manual and got
upgraded due to non availability. There was a Tsuru special going for
about $45 which was not bad for an automatic.

I also got upgraded to a suite at the Marquis Reforma sinced the
regular rooms were sold out. I only paid the negotiated convention rate
of $135.

I've never tried to rent a car in the US to take to Mexico, but whenever
I've rented in places like El Paso, the contract typically has a note in
big red letters that states the car cannot be taken into Mexico. I
don't know if they have cars that you can, you'd have to ask.

I believe the majors in San Diego do permit taking the car across the
border. I checked on this last year, then decided not to go.

Old September 25th, 2003, 06:54 AM
 @X.

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 21:40:12 -0400, James Robinson
wrote:
samng wrote:

Is it a good idea to fly to San Diego and take a trolley to Tijuana and rent
a car there. I figured you have to buy Mexican insurance anyway.

The car rental rates in Mexico will take your breath away. I've rented
at anywhere from $75 to $110 per day for a VW Golf in places like
Monterrey and Mexico City.

I've never tried to rent a car in the US to take to Mexico, but whenever
I've rented in places like El Paso, the contract typically has a note in
big red letters that states the car cannot be taken into Mexico. I
don't know if they have cars that you can, you'd have to ask.

In Tijuana cars are not terribly expensive to rent. You can get a
decent mid or full sized car for $35 a day no problem, maybe even
cheaper if you shop around. Pretty much similar to what you pay in
San Diego. I think all of the major big name American auto rental
companies rent cars near the airport in Tijuana. Many, but not all
San Diego car rental companies will also let you take a car rented in
San Diego, into Mexico for ~$10 a day extra for Mexican insurance.
Either way is not expensive or hard to do. I would guess you could
save a few bucks renting in Mexico but not a huge amount. Me, I would
probably rent in US just for the slight added convenience.
Old September 26th, 2003, 05:14 AM
Reef Fish

James Robinson wrote in message ...
samng wrote:

Is it a good idea to fly to San Diego and take a trolley to Tijuana and
rent a car there. I figured you have to buy Mexican insurance anyway.

Did that years ago -- rented a car in San Diego and drove over the boarder
to Tijuana. Don't know how things work today. But I've learned a few
things about Mexican law and insurance that makes me shudder to drive
in Mexico (anywhere). (No, I was never involved in any accident
while driving in Mexico; but I've heard enough horror stories though.)

It's the Mexian Law (the Napoleonic Code??) that you're GUILTY until
proven innocent. So, if you drive and get into any kind of an accident,
you COULD be spending days in a Mexican jail for your vacation. :-)

Do the lawyers in this ng have anything to say about that? Whether
that's true or just urban legend heresay.

The car rental rates in Mexico will take your breath away. I've rented
at anywhere from $75 to $110 per day for a VW Golf in places like
Monterrey and Mexico City.

That's surprising! In the Zona Rosa and other "safe" sections of
Mexico City, it's cheaper and more convenient to take the bus or cab
than driving anyway.

I used to rent a car for a day or two every time I go to Cozumel, for
the first 30 times or so, and haven't done it since. There, I know
enough local car rental places such as Budget whose manager told me
that I CANNOT book it at a discount while I am in the US, but once
in Mexico (Cozumel in this case), they can discount it as much as
they are willing. Thus, I seldom rented a car at their "rack rate",
and whatever they charged seemed about the same as many cities in
the USA.

I think much of car rental rates and standard practices differ from
city to city (same as in the US I suppose) so that the original
poster may do well to listen primarily to the advice of those who
know about the current rates and rules regarding rental cars in San
Diego vs Tijuana.

-- BOb.
Old September 26th, 2003, 06:24 AM
Gregory Morrow

Reef "BOob" Fish told us:

samng wrote:

Is it a good idea to fly to San Diego and take a trolley to Tijuana

and
rent a car there. I figured you have to buy Mexican insurance anyway.

Did that years ago -- rented a car in San Diego and drove over the boarder
to Tijuana. Don't know how things work today. But I've learned a few
things about Mexican law and insurance that makes me shudder to drive
in Mexico (anywhere). (No, I was never involved in any accident
while driving in Mexico; but I've heard enough horror stories though.)

It's the Mexian Law (the Napoleonic Code??) that you're GUILTY until
proven innocent. So, if you drive and get into any kind of an accident,
you COULD be spending days in a Mexican jail for your vacation. :-)

Do the lawyers in this ng have anything to say about that? Whether
that's true or just urban legend heresay.

Since you were there, why don't *you* tell *us*...???

[...]

Well BOob, if they listen to *you* they are *sure* to end up in some gawd -
forsaken Mexi hoosegow.

--
Best
Greg

Old September 26th, 2003, 07:07 AM
Jaybee727

I just got back from SAN where I wanted to drive my own car into Mexico for a
few days. I was quoted an on-line rate of about $45.00 for three days of full
coverage on my 2003 Corolla. It wasn't the price that held me back but the
Napoleonic code on which Meican law is based. Even with full insurance coverage
you can count on spending a few days as a guest of the government (jail) if you
are involved in any auto acccident where there is significant property
damage/injury/or death.

I haven't had an accident or traffic ticket in decades but it just wasn't worth
the risk for me.

We took a tour bus and had a great time. Probably saved me a couple of hours at
the border crossing returning since they have an express line for buses.

If your just going to Tijuana, Rosarita Beach or Ensenada, Don't bother
driving.

Jerry in LAS
Old September 26th, 2003, 02:40 PM
DALing

no, he's right - the Mexicans have a "2 part" insurance system there (which
I've had sort of explained to me but the nuances sort of escape me) in that
"civil" insurance like you hit someone - something is different from "you
hit someone-something GOVERNMENT".

IF they stop you and they fancy your car, you go to jail and your car goes
where ever (unless you pay the bribe). No urban legend, just pure old
fashioned police corruption. There is virtually no where in TJ that you
can't get to by bus/cab (just takes a bit longer)

"Gregory Morrow" wrote in
message ...

Reef "BOob" Fish told us:

Old September 26th, 2003, 07:07 PM
mrtravel

DALing wrote:
no, he's right - the Mexicans have a "2 part" insurance system there (which
I've had sort of explained to me but the nuances sort of escape me) in that
"civil" insurance like you hit someone - something is different from "you
hit someone-something GOVERNMENT".

IF they stop you and they fancy your car, you go to jail and your car goes
where ever (unless you pay the bribe). No urban legend, just pure old
fashioned police corruption. There is virtually no where in TJ that you
can't get to by bus/cab (just takes a bit longer)

He only said he was thinking about renting the car TJ, not staying in
TJ. I took it to mean that he was going to drive somewhere else.