Best way to spend 10-12 days, begining in Geneva

Old January 27th, 2004, 09:17 AM
Human

Default Best way to spend 10-12 days, begining in Geneva

Hate to post such a troll looking for info, but am pressed for time
and need some advice.

Will be traveling to Geneva at the end of Feb - will spend a few days
around the city and am tempted to see Italy and France, and maybe even
Belguim. Is it practical to drive from Geneva deep into Italy down to
Rome - almost 700 miles - maybe drive back to Paris and then Geneva -
or would it be best to take trains all the way. Will be traveling
with someone else and enjoy getting lost and exploring the roads.
Would hate to get into an accident because of weather or unfamiliar
road rules. Is it advisible to take a car? Is it a good way to see
the land, even in the cold weather?

Any sites that must be seen in any of the 3 countries. Beliguim is
minor temptation that I've talked myself out of while writing this,
but paris is a must and if I could see the Sistine Chapel I can die
happy. So any advise on seeing those sites and anything in between in
the best way possible, would be extremely appreciated.

much thanks
Old January 29th, 2004, 03:32 PM
mdew

[...]

I am not too familiar with Geneva as a City, but there are some fabulous
places to Visit not far away.
Yvoire, Annecy & of course Mont Blanc & Chambery aren't too far away.
Montreux is quite a chic town on the north east side of Lake Geneva ( Lac
Leman in french)

Old January 30th, 2004, 11:35 AM
O'Donnell Tribunal

while both the Sistine Chapel and the city of Paris are 'must sees' I
feel that given the time available you will exhaust yourself.

However I am happy to offer suggestions,

Don't drive I enjoy exploring as well but it will be too tiring.

TGV goes Geneva Paris in 3 hours I would anticipate 8 by car and car
is irrelevant in paris anyway.

Fly paris - florence.

can you fly out of rome?

BEST regards

O'donnell
Old January 31st, 2004, 05:22 PM
j.e.r.

(Human) wrote in message . com...
[...]

For reasonable estimation of trips by car I use
www.viamichelin.com
and for railway connections in and from/to Switzerland www.sbb.ch

According to those sites, shortest train-connection from Geneva to
Paris (Gare de Lyon) takes 3:22 whereas the 500+ km will take roughly
5 hours driving time (close to all highway).
For Geneva-Rome, trains will take 8 to 12 hours, driving time by
car almost 9 hours for 850 km.

If you want to split the 10-12 days for Geneva area, Paris and
Rome, best probably would be to fly Geneva-Rome and from there
to Paris, or fly Geneva-Rome and back and take TGV for Paris (in
Rome and Paris, a car is more a problem than a solution for visiting
the "must-see" in the cities).

With enough time available, I would probably not hesitate taking
a car for a Geneva-Rome-Florence-Pisa tour in late February or
in March - just be aware that most highways in Italy (and France)
are toll-roads, that driving style in Italian cities can be
considered by some people as "challenging" with in addition very
limited parking facilities (or expensive).

When you plan to "spend a few days around the city" of Geneva, have
a look at offers such as Swiss-Pass at Swiss Federal Railways
site http://www.rail.ch/pv/incoming_e.htm - especially in February,
I would spend some time in Alps area, consider tours such as
Glacier Express or at least Golden Pass or a day for Zermatt and
Gornergrat - but only with excellent weather conditions.

There is plenty of information on the net for visiting the
places on your list - I would nevertheless start with some
tourist guide for at least Paris, Italy and Switzerland.

Have a great trip.

J.E.(Hans)Rotzetter jer(at)iprolink.ch
Old January 31st, 2004, 11:30 PM
Susan Wachob

Default Figuring mileage in Europe?(Prev: Best way to spend 10-12 days, beginingin Geneva)

I really like the Michelin site you suggested. It sounds like you use
that for figuring mileage- is that right? I couldn't figure out how to
use that sight to do that and I'd like to. How did you do it?

If that sight doesn't do it, any other sites that easily plan
itineraries and have great maps all the way to very local?

Also, can anyone suggest maps on-line that are as local as streets in a
particular town ineurope

Thanks-

Susan

Old February 1st, 2004, 01:08 AM
BB

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 22:30:34 GMT, Susan Wachob wrote:
I really like the Michelin site you suggested. It sounds like you use
that for figuring mileage- is that right? I couldn't figure out how to
use that sight to do that and I'd like to. How did you do it?

Just use the router planner thing, to tell how to get from one city to
another. I did all mine so it matched what the odometer would be using -
miles in England and kilometers everywhere else.

--
-BB-
To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)
Old February 1st, 2004, 11:39 AM
Icono Clast

Susan Wachob wrote:
Also, can anyone suggest maps on-line that are as local as streets in a
particular town ineurope

Before you click on the URL below, put on your heaviest make-up and
tell Jim you might be making a lot of noise because you're likely to
turn green with envy and scream in frustration that we don't have
anything that's even close to:

http://wga.pagesjaunes.fr/pj.cgi?lang=en
A San Franciscan in (where else?) San Francisco
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net
Old February 1st, 2004, 07:28 PM
pltrgyst

wrote:

Also, can anyone suggest maps on-line that are as local as streets in a
particular town ineurope

Any particular reason why you want to stay online, instead of buying
Microsoft Autoroute and having all the info, down to local roads,
right on your desktop or laptop?

-- Larry

Old February 1st, 2004, 07:34 PM
GG

"Susan Wachob" wrote in message
I really like the Michelin site you suggested. It sounds like you use
that for figuring mileage- is that right? I couldn't figure out how to
use that sight to do that and I'd like to. How did you do it?

If that sight doesn't do it, any other sites that easily plan
itineraries and have great maps all the way to very local?

Also, can anyone suggest maps on-line that are as local as streets in a
particular town ineurope

Thanks-

Susan

I always use www.mappy.fr , or www.mappy.co.uk if you prefer English.

. com...

Old February 2nd, 2004, 10:32 AM
j.e.r.

Susan Wachob wrote in message ...
I really like the Michelin site you suggested. It sounds like you use
that for figuring mileage- is that right? I couldn't figure out how to
use that sight to do that and I'd like to. How did you do it?

If that sight doesn't do it, any other sites that easily plan
itineraries and have great maps all the way to very local?

Also, can anyone suggest maps on-line that are as local as streets in a
particular town ineurope

Thanks-

www.viamichelin.com site had some changes lately. Now, parameter
changes are available not while selecting an itinerary, but only
once the itinerary is displayed (I have checked using english
language option: simply leave cursor on "parameters" left of the
displayed map and enter the values you prefer and once set,
display will be updated automatically).

The same site also displays town maps - simply select the appropriate
field, enter the town and zoom down to the level you want.

There are other sites on the net with comparable features, but
at least in the past, most of them were to slow (or at least
definitely slower than Michelin).

As for detailed maps: telephone directores similar to "yellowpages"
in the USA and Canada allowing display of detailed maps are also
available for several countries in Europe, but there is no
systematic rule (at least I have not found any).
For Switzerland for example, "www.yellowpages.ch" is not defined,
but the german translation "www.gelbeseiten.ch" forwards to
"www.directories.ch" allowing search of addresses, phone-numbers
and then detailed map for addresses.
Same for Germany: www.gelbeseiten.de, whereas www.yellowpages.be
works.
So I usually simply try some language combination if I am looking
for addresses and maps for a specific country.

J.E.(Hans)Rotzetter jer(at)iprolink.ch