Tips on living in Germany

Old February 25th, 2009, 03:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

Default Tips on living in Germany

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 10:38:10 +0100, Martin wrote in post :
news
Wrong! A foreign resident has to exchange his foreign licence for a local one
after so many months.

Except EU citizens.
--
Tim C.
Old February 25th, 2009, 03:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
erilar

In article ,
"Traveller" wrote:

For example, a UK citizen going to the US
has to take a test to get a US license,

But he needn't feel put upon. We have to take a test changing from one
state to another.

--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar)

You can't reason with someone whose first line of argument is
that reason doesn't count. --Isaac Asimov

Erilar's Cave Annex: http://www.chibardun.net/~erilarlo*

Old February 25th, 2009, 05:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 09:09:00 -0600, erilar
wrote:

In article ,
"Traveller" wrote:

For example, a UK citizen going to the US
has to take a test to get a US license,

But he needn't feel put upon. We have to take a test changing from one
state to another.

Some test. Usually just the written test. I've changed
jurisdictions Ohio Kentucky Arizona Washington Nebraska
Kansas California Arizona and the only time I had to take a

behind-the-wheel test was the first change to Arizona; that
consisted of driving around a few blocks with the examiner.

Old February 25th, 2009, 05:57 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton[_2_]

Hatunen wrote on Wed, 25 Feb 2009 10:20:54 -0700:

In article ,
"Traveller" wrote:

For example, a UK citizen going to the US
has to take a test to get a US license,

But he needn't feel put upon. We have to take a test
changing from one state to another.

Some test. Usually just the written test. I've changed
jurisdictions Ohio Kentucky Arizona Washington Nebraska
Kansas California Arizona and the only time I had to take a
behind-the-wheel test was the first change to Arizona; that
consisted of driving around a few blocks with the examiner.

Things change. On a bet, I got a DC permit without any test by
producing an Irish one that I had bought in a post office there. I
believe the Irish now have driving tests (and a tremendous backlog.)

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old February 25th, 2009, 07:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
erilar

In article ,
Hatunen wrote:

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 09:09:00 -0600, erilar
wrote:

In article ,
"Traveller" wrote:

For example, a UK citizen going to the US
has to take a test to get a US license,

But he needn't feel put upon. We have to take a test changing from one
state to another.

Some test. Usually just the written test. I've changed
jurisdictions Ohio Kentucky Arizona Washington Nebraska
Kansas California Arizona and the only time I had to take a

behind-the-wheel test was the first change to Arizona; that
consisted of driving around a few blocks with the examiner.

Obviously it varies from state to state. I had to take a
behind-the-wheel test in both North Dakota and Minnesota. Somehow I got
by without one when I returned to Wisconsin, though I had to take the
written one here, too.

Old February 25th, 2009, 08:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dave Smith

Martin wrote:
On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 21:40:50 -0500, Dave Smith
wrote:

Martin wrote:
On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 16:22:21 -0000, "JohnT" wrote:

wrote in message
Useful to people planning to stay:
http://home.comcast.net/~plutarch/Germany.html
...... but only if you are from the USA!
Germans have ADSL too.

It's Germany as seen by another or the same Mixi.

How long can a German resident drive using an International Driving Licence?

Probably only as long as he/she is a resident of Germany.

Wrong! A foreign resident has to exchange his foreign licence for a local one
after so many months. This may involve passing a test. Depending on where the
foreigner's licence was issued.

Yes...when he ceases to be a resident of the jurisdiction in which he is
licenced. The question was about a German resident, and as long as he is
German resident his German licence should be valid.

An
International Drivers Licence is nothing more than a translation of your
licence so that authorities and rental agents in other countries can see
that you have a licence, the class of licence and endorsements or
restrictions. Typically, various jurisdictions recognize residents of
other jurisdictions as being licenced to drive on a temporary basis, but
one she or she becomes a resident they have a limited amount of time to
get a local licence.

Yes.

Old February 25th, 2009, 08:46 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dave Smith

Erick T. Barkhuis wrote:

For the US, it depends on the State. "Usually no problem at all" is a
bit too optimistic, I think.

FWIW, here in Ontario, if you have a licence from any other Canadian
province or territory, or from the US, Austria, Belgium, France, Great
Britain, Germany, Japan, Korea, and Switzerland all you need to do is
take a vision test and provide proof of your licence status and years of
driving and you get an Ontario licence.

Old February 25th, 2009, 08:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 18:33:47 -0700, Hatunen wrote:

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 23:04:53 -0000, "Traveller"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message

How long can a German resident drive using an International Driving
Licence?
--

You can't. There's no such thing - a common misunderstanding. There is
an

The way I've heard it, the UK resident in the US has a far easier
test than the US resident in the UK, who had probably get used to
having an "L" on his car.

Everybody in the US has a far easier test. In California it used to be
drive
around the block by yourself, if you make it back you have passed.

And CA is one of the harder places to get a license (really)

tim

Old February 25th, 2009, 08:59 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

news

wrote:

wrote in message
Useful to people planning to stay:
http://home.comcast.net/~plutarch/Germany.html

...... but only if you are from the USA!

Germans have ADSL too.

It's Germany as seen by another or the same Mixi.

How long can a German resident drive using an International Driving
Licence?

Probably only as long as he/she is a resident of Germany.

Wrong! A foreign resident has to exchange his foreign licence for a local
one

A foreign resident not holding a license from another EU country .....

tim

Old February 26th, 2009, 12:06 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
erilar

In article ,
"tim....." wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message

Everybody in the US has a far easier test. In California it used to be
drive
around the block by yourself, if you make it back you have passed.

And CA is one of the harder places to get a license (really)

I had to pass a real driving test twice when I moved to different
states. MUCH harder than what you call "harder".