Driving north of the Mediterranean

Old February 27th, 2009, 10:32 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike Lane

Default Driving north of the Mediterranean

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 07:42:28 +0000, jskal wrote
(in article ):

The truth is that we have no idea at all what a trip like that means!

You mean you have no idea of the distances involved, or how long it would
take to drive? Maybe looking at a map might help.

That's why we are searching for ideas and suggestions - maybe such a
trip requires 20 or 30 days, we'll have to find out!
Yes, we Greeks are not so organised, but we are trying!

The first thing to decide is how long you have to spend in a country - is it
2 days, or 2 weeks? Until you know that there's no point in discussing
anything further.

For what it's worth, I have found that Italy is the least enjoyable country
to drive through in southern Europe (and that includes Greece!). The motorway
network is rather poor (and expensive), but there is really no alternative as
the non-motorway roads are far worse and quite impracticable for travelling
any distance. (Just my opinion!)

Goodmorning from Athens everyone!

Good morning, what's the weather like?

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Old February 27th, 2009, 10:44 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
jskal[_4_]

The weather here in Athens is improving, it is a little cold for us (8
to 10 degrees) but the sun is here!

We will surely won't have more than 15 days for that trip - starting
from Athens and returning there, say 15 to 30 August. The only sure
thing is that we will spend 1 1/2 or 2 days at Marseille (where I have
relatives). If we have 10 days left, maybe we could spend another 2 days
in Italy in the beginning, then go to France 2 days and have 2 days to
go to Spain or at least cross the borders (Pyrennees)!!! and then
back... Is it possible? OK, I'll watch a map and then come back with
more questions!
At least this weekend I'll do a trip I know well: Crete!!!

--
jskal
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com

Old February 27th, 2009, 06:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
EMD

forget Marseille,,,,,,,,,,,

"jskal" wrote in message

Hello!

we are thinking with friends to make a trip during the summer by car in
the Mediterranean countries. We would start from Athens, most probably
pass by boat to Italy, go to Toscane, Southern France (surely Marseille)
and then either Northern Spain (Basque Country, Galicia) or down Eastern
Spain (Barcelona, Valencia, Andalucia?). And of course back!
I am looking for all useful information I can get! Interesting places
along this itinerary, interesting dates in August (festivals etc.),
other itinerary suggestions, economic accomodating solutions, budget
estimation for 10-15 days, in fact about all!!!

Thank you very much in advance!
John

--
jskal
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com

Old February 27th, 2009, 11:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Nugget

On Feb 27, 6:26*pm, "EMD" wrote:
forget Marseille,,,,,,,,,,,

"jskal" wrote in message

Hello!

we are thinking with friends to make a trip during the summer by car in
the Mediterranean countries. We would start from Athens, most probably
pass by boat to Italy, go to Toscane, Southern France (surely Marseille)
and then either Northern Spain (Basque Country, Galicia) or down Eastern
Spain (Barcelona, Valencia, Andalucia?). And of course back!
I am looking for all useful information I can get! Interesting places
along this itinerary, interesting dates in August (festivals etc.),
other itinerary suggestions, economic accomodating solutions, budget
estimation for 10-15 days, in fact about all!!!

Thank you very much in advance!
John

--
jskal
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com

porquoi ?
Old February 28th, 2009, 12:42 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike Lane

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 09:44:39 +0000, jskal wrote
(in article ):

The weather here in Athens is improving, it is a little cold for us (8
to 10 degrees) but the sun is here!

We will surely won't have more than 15 days for that trip - starting
from Athens and returning there, say 15 to 30 August. The only sure
thing is that we will spend 1 1/2 or 2 days at Marseille (where I have
relatives). If we have 10 days left, maybe we could spend another 2 days
in Italy in the beginning, then go to France 2 days and have 2 days to
go to Spain or at least cross the borders (Pyrennees)!!! and then
back... Is it possible? OK, I'll watch a map and then come back with
more questions!
At least this weekend I'll do a trip I know well: Crete!!!

Well frankly I would say forget it. 15 days is just not enough to drive from
Athens to Marseilles and back and have time for anything else. Crete sounds
much better!

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Old February 28th, 2009, 03:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Keith Willshaw[_4_]

"jskal" wrote in message

The weather here in Athens is improving, it is a little cold for us (8
to 10 degrees) but the sun is here!

We will surely won't have more than 15 days for that trip - starting
from Athens and returning there, say 15 to 30 August. The only sure
thing is that we will spend 1 1/2 or 2 days at Marseille (where I have
relatives). If we have 10 days left, maybe we could spend another 2 days
in Italy in the beginning, then go to France 2 days and have 2 days to
go to Spain or at least cross the borders (Pyrennees)!!! and then
back... Is it possible? OK, I'll watch a map and then come back with
more questions!
At least this weekend I'll do a trip I know well: Crete!!!

If you take the ferry to Ancona and there are two of you driving you
can make the drive to Marseilles in a day (its about 900km)

There is plenty to keep you busy close to Marseilles in Provence,
the Cote d'Azur and the Camargue without driving into Spain
especially if you allow a couple of days sightseeing in Italy.

Keith

Old February 28th, 2009, 10:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_4_]

Mike Lane wrote:
[...]

As a matter of curiosity I put Athens-Marseilles scenic route into the
www.viamichelin.com planner, and it gives me a trip time of 35 hours, of
which 20 hours are the ferry connection Patras to Bari, and rest is
driving 1500 km, of which 1200 km on highways. Not really very
strenuous for a car share drive. We've done drives like that halfway
across Europe a number of times just to go on vacation.

T.