Drive license

Old August 25th, 2004, 09:02 PM
B Vaughan

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 17:26:55 +0100, "Keith Willshaw"
wrote:

"B Vaughan" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 08:30:33 +0200, "Xavier"
wrote:

If you have seen a EU driving license, its quite big. It's a sort of

3-page
pamphlet that folds to fit in a wallet.

I've never seen this type of license in Italy.

The plans are to reduce it to a credit-card size license with a magnetic
bar.

My license, which was issued in 1999 in Italy, is credit-card sized,
but doesn't have a magnetic strip. I described it in detail in another
posting in the this thread.

The UK paper driving license is as described, these are
being replaced by credit card type licenses with a
photo but as the old licenses are valid until the holder
reaches 70 this may take a while

Note that Xavier described an EU license as being a booklet. My
husband has an older model Italian license which is a booklet, but it
makes no pretence at being an EU model. In 1999 (I think) all licenses
issued in Italy were reduced to credit-card size, and have the
standard EU form but without the magnetic strip. I imagine the
magnetic strip will be a later development.

My license was one of the earlier batches, and it is a bit defective.
There was supposed to be a strip where you could put your signature,
but it doesn't have the flat finish that such strips should have, with
the result that the writing rubbed right off.
--------
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.
Old August 26th, 2004, 07:25 AM
Xavier

I only tried to describe my driving license. But as you say, it's gonna
change next year.
Problably there's some countries that have already began to change, that's
why some of you already have the credit-card sized license.
I've never seen the new format for the license in Spain, so I guess we're in
a transition period...