World tourism took a record dive last year

Old March 8th, 2004, 12:52 PM
Earl Evleth

Default World tourism took a record dive last year

World tourism took a record dive last year

Industry hit by triple whammy of Iraq war, Sars and weak economy;
South-east Asia showed biggest drop in visitors

GLOBAL troubles took its toll on international tourism last year with its
biggest annual drop ever, and South-east Asia bore the brunt of the
worldwide decline, due to the Sars epidemic.

The Asia-Pacific region saw a drop of 12 million visitors, with previous top
performers South-east Asia and North-east Asia suffering severe losses.

For Singapore, tourism arrivals fell last year by 19.1 per cent to 6.13
million visitors.

But after the battering by Sars, the industry showed signs of recovery from
last June. Arrival figures for November based on a year-on-year comparison
reversed the negative trend since February with a 7.9 per cent boost.

While South-east Asia was reeling from Sars, South Asia made a strong
comeback after two difficult years, hand in hand with a booming economy and
trade liberalisation.

The figures were in a recent World Tourism Organisation report, which said
that international tourism arrivals fell 1.2 per cent last year.

Said the group's secretary-general, Mr Francesco Frangialli: 'In 2003,
international tourism lived through another exceptionally difficult year in
which three negative factors came together: the Iraq conflict, Sars and a
persistently weak economy.'

Although conditions improved considerably as the year progressed, with
positive figures generally starting to return in the second half, this was
not sufficient to result in growth for all destinations.

'The travel industry was affected... But it did not collapse. The decline
was limited and, in such a hostile environment, this very fact confirms the
resilience of tourism,' said Mr Frangialli.

Preliminary estimates by the World Tourism Barometer show the number of
international arrivals slid to 694 million, some 8.5 million less than in
2002, said the group's chief of market intelligence, Mr Augusto Huscar.

Europe experienced zero growth as the Western and Southern/Mediterranean
sub-regions felt the combined effects of a weak economy and the strong euro.
International arrivals in Western Europe showed a fall of 3.7 million, while
Southern Europe closed the year flat and Central and Eastern Europe repeated
their successes from 2002.

The Americas also recorded a decrease (-1 per cent), with North America the
only sub-region to record a loss (-5 per cent) for the third year in a row,
mainly due to the weak economy and continuing concerns about security after
Sept 11, 2001.

In terms of tourist volume, North America is 'the big loser', the report
said. Tourist arrivals fell from 91.2 million in 2000 to 76.1 million last
year.

Forecasts for this year are generally optimistic, based mainly on positive
signs of economic recovery in the US, Japan and Western Europe and a
moderation in conflicts.

Said Mr Frangialli: 'If we are able to avoid further crises, if we do not
allow fears to sweep everything away, and if the necessary security measures
that governments have the duty to implement, especially in air transport,
remain reasonable and balanced, then we can be confident in the industry's
capacity to move forward.' -- NYT

DROP IN VISITORS

Asia-Pacific region: 9%

South-east Asia: 16%

North-east Asia: 9%

Western Europe : 3%

North America: 5%

RISE IN VISITORS

South Asia: 17%

The Caribbean: 8%

South America: 12%

Middle East: 10%

Africa: 5%

**

*

Old March 8th, 2004, 01:44 PM
The Reid

Following up to Earl Evleth

In terms of tourist volume, North America is 'the big loser', the report
said. Tourist arrivals fell from 91.2 million in 2000 to 76.1 million last
year.

so I wonder if that's wont go because of terrorist threat or wont
go because of war?
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old March 8th, 2004, 03:10 PM
Keith Willshaw

"The Reid" wrote in message
Following up to Earl Evleth

In terms of tourist volume, North America is 'the big loser', the report
said. Tourist arrivals fell from 91.2 million in 2000 to 76.1 million

last
year.

so I wonder if that's wont go because of terrorist threat or wont
go because of war?

Whichever the US is likely to be hit VERY hard from October
this year when many more visitors are going to be required
to apply for visas as they wont have passports with biometric data

The phrase 'shoot oneself in the foot' comes to mind.

Keith

Old March 8th, 2004, 05:48 PM
Marie Lewis

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message

"The Reid" wrote in message
Following up to Earl Evleth

In terms of tourist volume, North America is 'the big loser', the

report
said. Tourist arrivals fell from 91.2 million in 2000 to 76.1 million

last
year.

so I wonder if that's wont go because of terrorist threat or wont
go because of war?

Whichever the US is likely to be hit VERY hard from October
this year when many more visitors are going to be required
to apply for visas as they wont have passports with biometric data

The phrase 'shoot oneself in the foot' comes to mind.

Keith

According to two UK broadsheet newspapers, at the weekend, the Americans
have asked that their own security personnel be allowed to question
passengers from the UK to the USA *in the UK airports* before they board
planes to the USA. The UK government is said to be considering this.

Has anyone else on the newsgroup heard about this?

Old March 8th, 2004, 08:00 PM
Miguel Cruz

Marie Lewis wrote:
According to two UK broadsheet newspapers, at the weekend, the Americans
have asked that their own security personnel be allowed to question
passengers from the UK to the USA *in the UK airports* before they board
planes to the USA. The UK government is said to be considering this.

El Al already does it.

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/
Old March 8th, 2004, 09:50 PM
Lennart Petersen

"Miguel Cruz" skrev i meddelandet
Marie Lewis wrote:
According to two UK broadsheet newspapers, at the weekend, the Americans
have asked that their own security personnel be allowed to question
passengers from the UK to the USA *in the UK airports* before they board
planes to the USA. The UK government is said to be considering this.

El Al already does it.
miguel

They do, and I've gone through it. Two hours of intensive search in the
luggage,hand luggage ,camera dismantled,body search and so on. Finally the
questions from two different persons. Woman: where did you book, where are
you going ?
A man speaking a rather bad English finally asked me about the purpose for
my trip. Tourist was my answer. "Arr ju a torrist ??" Disappeared and
returned after a while and told me "we can't accept you on this flight".
He pointed on me and told the supervising police something. The
astonished police come to me and said in typical slow North Swedish dialect:
"they claims you're a terrorist ?
That explained, the El Al man apologized and we got friends.
But for that reason I think I can claim to be the only terrorist ever to
have been allowed on to an El Al flight ?

Old March 9th, 2004, 10:08 AM
The Reid

Following up to Keith Willshaw

their own security personnel be allowed to question
passengers from the UK to the USA *in the UK airports* before they board
planes to the USA. The UK government is said to be considering this.

Sounds reasonable to me. Kuwait Airways did it for quite a while
and it always made me feel a lot safer.

depends if the US security people are going to be better than UK
security people at detecting terrorists.