Istanbul and Gallipoli

Old June 4th, 2008, 12:27 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe
grusl

Default Istanbul and Gallipoli

On Jun 4, 3:22*pm, Norman Spiney wrote:
On 4 Jun, 12:05, grusl wrote:

On Jun 4, 2:37 pm, Norman Spiney wrote:

On 4 Jun, 11:22, "grusl" wrote:

I'm off to Istanbul for a few days this month. First visit to Turkey and
basically a spur-of-the-moment idea while my wife is visiting her mother.

I'm flying BLR-IST with GF (two four-hour hops with a two hour layover in
BAH and, being GF, will no doubt be late), which cost INR40,000 - about
USD1000 - and staying at the Turing Ayasofya Konaklari in Sogukçesme sokagi
in the Sultanahmet district at EUR120 per night. (No doubt those diacritics
won't come out).

In the middle of the stay I'm planning for an overnight trip to Gallipoli
via Canakkale. The hotel says it does group tours, which I don't especially
mind in an unfamiliar country (and especially if there are knowledgable
veterans on the tour ... not from the original 1915 conflict of course), but
if anyone knows a more interesting way to see the battlefield sites and
memorials I'm listening. I'm OK with bus, train or car options.

I have the LP guide to Istanbul and I'm basically interested in the city's
history, architecture, art, museums, walking, and eating and drinking
(restaurant and raki bar recommendations welcome; I'm completely
omnivorous). I'm not a shopper. I take photos but not well. My brief
research into Canakkale gives the general impression it's a swinging
university town but I may have to adjust that for local sentiments.

Cheers,

George W Russell

Bangalore

all that time and expense just to see some graves ?!- Hide quoted text -

Yes, I suppose Westminster Abbey falls into the same category.

The time is negligible - overnight - and I don't know about the cost
yet.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Westminster Abbey is a large historic building in the centre of
London....
Gallipoli is overrated, Pergammon / Goreme / *Pamukkale are much more
interesting-

I'm sure Gallipoli is larger than Westminster. Anyway, I think London
is overrated.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore
Old June 4th, 2008, 12:30 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe
grusl[_3_]

"Alan S" wrote in message
On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 15:23:51 +0530, "grusl"
wrote:

"Alan S" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 14:52:10 +0530, "grusl"
wrote:

[...]

Hi George

My mum just got back from Gallipoli, but she was on a group
tour so that may not be a lot of help. I'll see what I can
find out. She's not really into the swinging scene:-)

In the meantime, I visited Istanbul back in 2006. Maybe
these will offer some ideas:
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/2006...re-turkey.html

Thanks.

I could caption most of your HK photos if you like. I hope you pointed out
the koalas climbing the Lippo Centre (formerly Bond Centre).

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Missed them (I'm sure you'll elaborate:-)

You have a photo of them. See the three buildings horizontally, above where
it says: "Then there were the buildings. I enjoy looking at buildings, old
and new, comparing styles and architecture."? At right is the new Bank of
China, HSBC in the middle and on the left is the Lippo Centre. See the six
koalas hugging it, three on each side?

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old June 4th, 2008, 12:33 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe
Norman Spiney

On 4 Jun, 11:22, "grusl" wrote:

[...]

....Gallipoli is a large field,zzzzzzz, but if you insist on going at
least drop in on the Turks as well, it'll make your driver happy
Old June 4th, 2008, 12:40 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008, Viviane wrote:

If you are not from Australia, it is hard to understand the devastation
caused by the first world war.

I doubt any italian/austrian/french/german/polish/russian/belgian etc.
will have any difficulty in that. At least those of a certain age.

is a newsreading account used by more persons to
Old June 4th, 2008, 12:44 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe
Norman Spiney

On 4 Jun, 13:03, "Viviane" wrote:
That's a pretty tasteless comment. Those graves mean a lot to those
visiting Gallipoli, particularly Australians and New Zealanders, who lost many men there.

fine, but 'Gelibolu' is not interesting to me....

Tours there are becoming increasingly popular, particularly in the lead up to the centenary of the battle. The good thing is that it is kindling an interest in history, even the bad bits.

there is much better and more scenic history in other parts of Turkey

If you are not from Australia, it is hard to understand the devastation caused by the first world war

oh really....
Old June 4th, 2008, 12:49 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe
grusl

On 4 Jun, 11:22, "grusl" wrote:

[...]

least drop in on the Turks as well, it'll make your driver happy- Hide quoted text -

Westminster is a large church zzzzzzzzzzz

I imagine I will see the occasional Turk with a week in Istanbul.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old June 4th, 2008, 12:53 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe
Norman Spiney

On 4 Jun, 11:22, "grusl" wrote:

[...]

indeed, and thats about 30 minutes of site seeing for no extra effort.

I imagine I will see the occasional Turk with a week in Istanbul.

ah, but they wont buried in a field....
Old June 4th, 2008, 12:56 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe
grusl

On Jun 4, 4:40*pm, Giovanni Drogo
wrote:
On Wed, 4 Jun 2008, Viviane wrote:
If you are not from Australia, it is hard to understand the devastation
caused by the first world war.

I doubt any italian/austrian/french/german/polish/russian/belgian etc.
will have any difficulty in that. At least those of a certain age.

I'm well aware that mostly French, British and Turks died at
Gallipoli. The Australian casualties were negligible relative to the
whole operation. It entered the Australian imagination by other means.
It's a footnote to history, but I'm interested in some footnotes to
history.

Moreover, it's really a way to break a trip to Istanbul - a city I've
long wanted to see - because it's relatively close by.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore
Old June 4th, 2008, 12:57 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe
grusl

On 4 Jun, 11:22, "grusl" wrote:

[...]

ah, but they wont buried in a field....- Hide quoted text -

SHUT UP

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore
Old June 4th, 2008, 01:05 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.asia
grusl[_3_]

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 17:29:29 +0530, "grusl"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 04:49:33 -0700 (PDT), grusl

wrote:

I imagine I will see the occasional Turk with a week in Istanbul.

and no Michael Newport posts if you are careful.

Why I allow myself to be trolled like that is a mystery.

You don't use filters?
--

I do. That's what makes it worse. I'm deliberately responding to him and the
Finn on Gurgle Gropes.

I should be shot.

Instead, I'm going out for a Kingfisher.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore