Weird ties to Canada...

Old May 30th, 2010, 08:17 PM posted to alt.sports.baseball.detroit-tigers,rec.sport.football.college,rec.travel.usa-canada,soc.culture.canada
Antonio Veranos

Default Weird ties to Canada...

I never really knew that the Tigers had much of a link with Canada,
though I guess it makes sense given that they're so close to Windsor.
Most Americans don't know this, probably, but Detroit is a border city
with our friends to the north... though in Detroit's case, you actually
drive south(!) to get to Canada across the Ambassador Bridge.

Anyway... so they're linked a bit, I suppose, and no doubt the Tigers
even have quite a few Canadian fans (especially now that they have a new
park and they're not completely awful anymore). Still, it's weird that
they would recognize this link by putting 'EH' on their uniforms. Even
weirder is that they didn't put it inside of anything uniquely Canadian
like a red maple leaflet or something, but just a black circle. Weird.

--
A. Veranos

What color does a smurf go when you choke it?
Old May 30th, 2010, 08:40 PM posted to alt.sports.baseball.detroit-tigers,rec.sport.football.college,rec.travel.usa-canada,soc.culture.canada
The Henchman[_2_]

"Antonio Veranos" wrote in message
I never really knew that the Tigers had much of a link with Canada,
though I guess it makes sense given that they're so close to Windsor.
Most Americans don't know this, probably, but Detroit is a border city
with our friends to the north... though in Detroit's case, you actually
drive south(!) to get to Canada across the Ambassador Bridge.

Anyway... so they're linked a bit, I suppose, and no doubt the Tigers
even have quite a few Canadian fans (especially now that they have a new
park and they're not completely awful anymore). Still, it's weird that
they would recognize this link by putting 'EH' on their uniforms. Even
weirder is that they didn't put it inside of anything uniquely Canadian
like a red maple leaflet or something, but just a black circle. Weird.

Fun Fact: Detroit is actually north of the international border with Canada
as are most of it's suburbs. I know you said this but it bears repeating.

And there are tons of Tigers fans west of Toronto. I remember when the
Tigers and Blue Jays would battle in the 80's for the AL East pennant. The
Canadian baseball hall of fame is smack in the middle of Canada's Tigers'
fanbase in St. Mary's as they moved it away from Toronto after the MLB
strike year.

Red Wings have a ton of fans in Ontario and I bet the Lions did at one time
too and they used to have a good hockey rivalry back in the old NHL when
Toronto was in the West Conference. Of course the ****ty Michigan
Woefulwussies have a strong base in Canada too. You cannot escape the blue
and yellow M tee-shirts around these parts and the Michigan Hockey college
games are on cable here.

And Michigan Speedway has it's Nascar "Canada Day" race in August?

Old May 30th, 2010, 10:02 PM posted to alt.sports.baseball.detroit-tigers,rec.sport.football.college,rec.travel.usa-canada,soc.culture.canada
GrtArtiste

On May 30, 3:17*pm, Antonio Veranos wrote:
I never really knew that the Tigers had much of a link with Canada,
though I guess it makes sense given that they're so close to Windsor. *
Most Americans don't know this, probably, but Detroit is a border city
with our friends to the north... though in Detroit's case, you actually
drive south(!) to get to Canada across the Ambassador Bridge.

Anyway... so they're linked a bit, I suppose, and no doubt the Tigers
even have quite a few Canadian fans (especially now that they have a new
park and they're not completely awful anymore). *Still, it's weird that
they would recognize this link by putting 'EH' on their uniforms. *Even
weirder is that they didn't put it inside of anything uniquely Canadian
like a red maple leaflet or something, but just a black circle. *Weird.

Okay...I realize this is bate, and I'll give ya 3 stars for
creativity. But if you think that the Tigers give a rat's patootie
about our good neighbors in Canuckia other than taking their money at
the ballpark, then you probably also think that RichRod will be the
Big10 coach of the year in 2010.

GrtArtiste

Old May 31st, 2010, 07:15 PM posted to alt.sports.baseball.detroit-tigers,rec.sport.football.college,rec.travel.usa-canada,soc.culture.canada
TM

[...]

Once a year there was "Windsor Night" at Tiger Stadium. Might still be the
case at Comerica, I don't know.

And, of course, the *great* Tiger third baseman Reno Bertoia hailed from
Windsor.

Old June 1st, 2010, 04:54 PM posted to alt.sports.baseball.detroit-tigers,rec.sport.football.college,rec.travel.usa-canada,soc.culture.canada
The BorgMan

Antonio Veranos wrote in
:

I never really knew that the Tigers had much of a link with Canada,
though I guess it makes sense given that they're so close to Windsor.
Most Americans don't know this, probably, but Detroit is a border city
with our friends to the north... though in Detroit's case, you actually
drive south(!) to get to Canada across the Ambassador Bridge.

Or through the tunnel.

As far as I know it's the only place in the US where you can travel due
south from the US and enter Canada.

Anyway... so they're linked a bit, I suppose, and no doubt the Tigers
even have quite a few Canadian fans

Tigers fans reach about halfway to Toronto.

--
Aaron
Old June 4th, 2010, 05:56 AM posted to alt.sports.baseball.detroit-tigers,rec.sport.football.college,rec.travel.usa-canada,soc.culture.canada
Király[_1_]

In rec.travel.usa-canada The BorgMan wrote:
As far as I know it's [Detroit] the only place in the US where you can
travel due south from the US and enter Canada.

Alaska.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
Old June 4th, 2010, 06:25 PM posted to alt.sports.baseball.detroit-tigers,rec.sport.football.college,rec.travel.usa-canada,soc.culture.canada
Futbol Phan

On Jun 3, 11:56*pm, (Király) wrote:
In rec.travel.usa-canada The BorgMan wrote:

As far as I know it's [Detroit] the only place in the US where you can
travel due south from the US and enter Canada.

Alaska. *

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.

Nope-- no such crossing there.
Old June 5th, 2010, 10:33 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,soc.culture.canada
Doug McDonald[_4_]

On 6/4/2010 12:25 PM, Futbol Phan wrote:
On Jun 3, 11:56 pm, (Király) wrote:
In rec.travel.usa-canada The wrote:

As far as I know it's [Detroit] the only place in the US where you can
travel due south from the US and enter Canada.

Alaska.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.

Nope-- no such crossing there.

There are several areas where you can walk south from the panhandle of Alaska and
enter Yukon. Some, but not all, require crampons.

There are also areas were you can do the same by boat.

Doug McDonald

Old June 5th, 2010, 11:51 PM posted to alt.sports.baseball.detroit-tigers,rec.sport.football.college,rec.travel.usa-canada,soc.culture.canada
Király[_1_]

In rec.travel.usa-canada Futbol Phan wrote:
Alaska. *

Nope-- no such crossing there.

Check out Hyder-Stewart.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
Old June 8th, 2010, 04:30 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,soc.culture.canada
Keith Willshaw[_5_]

"Futbol Phan" wrote in message
On Jun 3, 11:56 pm, (Király) wrote:
In rec.travel.usa-canada The BorgMan wrote:

As far as I know it's [Detroit] the only place in the US where you can
travel due south from the US and enter Canada.

Alaska.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.

Nope-- no such crossing there.

The Klondike highway at the crossing point from the
Canadian Yukon is nearer to due South than the Detroit Crossing

Been there done that.

Keith