One Way Car Rental - Houston to Atlanta?

Old August 24th, 2004, 05:12 AM
Paula

Default One Way Car Rental - Houston to Atlanta?

Hi!

I am planning a trip to southern USA for next spring and I thought I'd
go ahead and book my car rental now (since I don't need a credit card
reservation, I figured I'd book the cheapest rates now and keep
checking for cheaper ones in the next 6 months...). I am flying an
open-jaw flight (into IAH and out of ATL). Unfortunately, it appears
as though most car rental companies (even the cheap ones like Dollar
and Thrifty) charge a one-way drop fee of $210.00.

How can avoid this drop fee? Should I be patient and just wait to
book right before I leave and that way I may be able to organize no
drop fee with a rental company that requires a return to Atlanta
airport from Houston airport?

Also, what's up with all the taxes and charges in Texas for renting
cars? There's more taxes and additional charges than rental fees!
WTF????!!!! Is Houston an expensive city to rent from? I seem to
remember LAX, Las Vegas and Phoenix all being very cheap compared to
Houston. What is the optional Texas insurance you can get? I don't
plan on buying any optional insurance since my credit card gold card
automatically insures me when I pay with that card, but I am a little
leary of this because Texas seems to have some weird car rental laws.
Can anyone explain?

Thanks!
Paula
Old August 24th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Frank F. Matthews

The only part I can explain is the fees. Someone has to pay for the
goodies like stadiums and travelers were elected. I will admit that
there is a nice rental car facility going in at Intercontinental paid
for by the fees. You can skip some of the costs by renting off airport.

Old August 24th, 2004, 06:35 PM
Frank F. Matthews

I took a look at the optional insurance. It appears that this is for
liability coverage not for damage to the car. This protects you if you
are sued for hitting someone. Apparently it is not normally included.

I looked at the drop off charge for Las Vegas to ATL. It was over $550.
I think you are stuck for the $210

Old August 24th, 2004, 08:46 PM

Paula wrote:

Unfortunately, it appears
as though most car rental companies (even the cheap ones like Dollar
and Thrifty) charge a one-way drop fee of $210.00.

How can avoid this drop fee?

I was researching a similar trip (Orlando to DC) and found that Hertz
had cheaper drop fees. Of course, their rental rates are generally
higher. In any event, you may want to check them out. It helps if you
are an AAA member.

Old August 24th, 2004, 11:04 PM
Irv

Paula wrote:

Hi!

I am planning a trip to southern USA for next spring and I thought I'd
go ahead and book my car rental now (since I don't need a credit card
reservation, I figured I'd book the cheapest rates now and keep
checking for cheaper ones in the next 6 months...). I am flying an
open-jaw flight (into IAH and out of ATL). Unfortunately, it appears
as though most car rental companies (even the cheap ones like Dollar
and Thrifty) charge a one-way drop fee of $210.00.

How can avoid this drop fee? Should I be patient and just wait to
book right before I leave and that way I may be able to organize no
drop fee with a rental company that requires a return to Atlanta
airport from Houston airport?

Take Amtrak, stop in New Orleans (won't need a car there) then on to
Atlanta.
Fare is $88.00
Spend the savings on taxis, good food!

Old August 25th, 2004, 04:46 AM
Paula

Irv wrote in message ...
Paula wrote:

[...]

I considered that, but there are three of us - including a toddler
and, like, 100 bags. Taking a train would be a pain in the royal ass.
Not to mention, work out to be more expensive in the end, because
we'll need a car in Houston for 4 days before and Atlanta for 4 days
after a 2 day stay in New Orleans. I think I am just stuck paying
$500. to rent a car for 10 days...BUMMER! I'll keep checking in...I
may get lucky, who knows!?

Paula