Voltage Used In Paris, France ?

Old October 24th, 2003, 11:10 PM
Thomas Peel

Default Voltage Used In Paris, France ?

Hatunen schrieb:

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 19:19:57 +0200, Thomas Peel
wrote:

Just recently our daughter returned from Mexico with one of those hair
tongs that make your hair straight, and an American style plug on the
lead. Sure enough, it said 30W, 110v.
She looked at me with those big brown eyes and asked if it would work
ok, I said no way attempt to plug that thing in here, we have 220v,
you'll electrocute yourself, the thing will explode and melt into a pool
of burning plastic, blow out the house wiring and probably plunge half
of northern Europe into darkness.

So when I come home the next day, she's rummaged around to find my
laptop adaptor, and plugged the thing in. No explosions, no burning
plastic, and, she has straight hair.
So much for wisdom.

Your laptop adaptor puts out AC? Or did the hair straightener say
DC was also OK (if purely resistive there's no reason it
shouldn't work on DC whether the label says so or not).

No, the adaptor simply fits the euro 220v plug into an American socket.
The laptop powe unit is self sensing.
T.

Old October 25th, 2003, 03:42 AM
randee

A three phase Y (sometimes called Star) configuration produces 208 volts
across any *single* phase and 120 V to neutral. A three phase Delta
configuration produces 230 volts across any *single* phase. Grounding
is strange with a Delta configuration and so it is typically not used
for 120V.

In residential service the 240 volts is *single* phase. It comes from
either end of a transformer secondary. The center tap provides the 120
volts, still single phase. Although normally limited to
commercial/industrial service, three phase power can be quite handy in
residential service for things like the air compressors, welders,
lathes, etc. out in your shop in back of the house. Unfortunately power
companies usually want to charge quite a bit for running three phase to
your house.

FWIW, two phase power was used in some parts of the U.S. years ago (as
was D.C. power), but I doubt it is still used. Dunno if it was/is used
in Europe at all.
--
wf.

Mxsmanic wrote:

Three-phase power is limited to industrial and commercial installations.
The three phases produce 208 VAC across any two phases, and 120 VAC to
neutral. A three-phase transformer provides this. In residential
installations, two-phase transformers are used in order to provide 240
VAC across phases instead.

--
wf.
Wayne Flowers

Old October 27th, 2003, 01:02 PM
Giovanni Drogo

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Luca Logi wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote:

Here in Italy there were parts at 110, 160 and 220 V.
But that was more than *40* years ago ...

"Back in 2003, people ran all sorts of operating systems on their
computers: Windows, Mac OS, Linux, you name it. But that was more than
40 years ago!"

"Now in 2048 everybody uses Gatesways, so named in honour of the late
Bill Gates, who began his career as a software vendor and became the

At least he was not a piano bar singer on a cruise ship (Luca will
understand who I am referring to)

So you mean the Joy prophecy is to be considered really wrong (even for,
or after 2038 ?) http://wagblog.internetweek.com/archives/000548.html

On the future of Unix: "I don't know what the most popular operating
system will be in the year 2000, but it will be called Unix," he said.
He turned out to be spectacularly wrong on that one: even Sun doesn't
call its operating system "Unix" any more.

is a newsreading account used by more persons to