Time to get from Gatwick to Kings Cross

Old February 10th, 2004, 04:12 PM
Jody L Kempf

Default Time to get from Gatwick to Kings Cross

I'm hoping you might have some insight as to the amount of time it will
take us to get from Gatwick airport to Kings Cross train station. We will
arrive in Gatwick at 9 am on a Thursday and would like to catch the train
to York from Kings Cross. It appears that the easiest way to get to Kings
Cross from Gatwick is the Thameslink, correct?

We are hoping to buy our train tickets to York but are not sure what would be
a reasonable amount of time to allow for us to get to Kings Cross
and catch the York train.

Can anyone offer an approximate amount of time that it might take?

Old February 10th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Vicky

In article , Jody L Kempf
wrote:

I'm hoping you might have some insight as to the amount of time it will
take us to get from Gatwick airport to Kings Cross train station. We will
arrive in Gatwick at 9 am on a Thursday and would like to catch the train
to York from Kings Cross. It appears that the easiest way to get to Kings
Cross from Gatwick is the Thameslink, correct?

We are hoping to buy our train tickets to York but are not sure what would be
a reasonable amount of time to allow for us to get to Kings Cross
and catch the York train.

Can anyone offer an approximate amount of time that it might take?

The journey from Gatwick to Thameslink King's Cross takes about 50
minutes, and they run fairly frequently from the airport - about every
15 minutes or so from the South Terminal.

One thing to note is that Thameslink King's Cross is a couple of blocks
away from the King's Cross train station. You do need to haul your
stuff up some stairs to get out of Thameslink and walk over to King's
Cross. But it's really close by - I'd say no more than 5 minutes (or
10 if you have lots of stuff).

I'd probably give myself 3 hours of time at the minimum, just in case
of flight/train delays. But I know the journey well and I usually
travel light. If you're not in a hurry, why not give yourself a bit
more time to get some food in London before hopping on the train to
York?

-Vicky
Old February 10th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Graham Harrison

If you go to www.nationalrail.co.uk/planmyjourney you'll find out exactly
what time the trains run.

--
*****
*****The "return to" address embedded in this mail is wrong as an antispam

Old February 10th, 2004, 08:04 PM
Owain

"Jody L Kempf" wrote
| We are hoping to buy our train tickets to York but are not sure
| what would be a reasonable amount of time to allow for us to
| get to Kings Cross and catch the York train.

You should over-estimate and be sure of being able to catch the designated
train if you want the best fares.

For return travel on 11-16 March the best fare is currently a Standard Class
Off Peak 1 Return at GBP 19.00 Seven days prior booking is mandatory and the
ticket is no change no refund.

A Standard Open Return with no restrictions will cost you GBP 138.00

Prices are current at
http://www.scotrail.co.uk/onlinechoice.htm

Owain

Old February 10th, 2004, 08:11 PM
Mark Hewitt

"Graham Harrison" wrote in
message ...
If you go to www.nationalrail.co.uk/planmyjourney you'll find out exactly
what time the trains run.

And you don't need to get a specific ticket for a specific time. You can buy
an open ticket which will allow you to catch any train out and any return
train within a month. Of course these are more expensive.

Old February 10th, 2004, 09:45 PM
Nige

"Jody L Kempf" wrote in message
I'm hoping you might have some insight as to the amount of time it will
take us to get from Gatwick airport to Kings Cross train station. We will
arrive in Gatwick at 9 am on a Thursday and would like to catch the train
to York from Kings Cross. It appears that the easiest way to get to Kings
Cross from Gatwick is the Thameslink, correct?

We are hoping to buy our train tickets to York but are not sure what would

be
a reasonable amount of time to allow for us to get to Kings Cross
and catch the York train.

Can anyone offer an approximate amount of time that it might take?

Thameslink is the name of the train operator who runs the trains from
North to South or indeed from South to North across London via Kings Cross.
http://www.thameslink.co.uk/
Obviously check for any engineering works or disruption to normal
services in advance.
The Thameslink station at Kings Cross does require either a long walk
through a subway tunnel or out onto the street and along a busy road to
the mainline station.
Nige

Old February 10th, 2004, 11:04 PM
Tony Day

"Owain" wrote in message
"Jody L Kempf" wrote
| We are hoping to buy our train tickets to York but are not sure
| what would be a reasonable amount of time to allow for us to
| get to Kings Cross and catch the York train.

You should over-estimate and be sure of being able to catch the designated
train if you want the best fares.

For return travel on 11-16 March the best fare is currently a Standard

Class
Off Peak 1 Return at GBP 19.00 Seven days prior booking is mandatory and

the
ticket is no change no refund.

A Standard Open Return with no restrictions will cost you GBP 138.00

Prices are current at
http://www.scotrail.co.uk/onlinechoice.htm

Owain

Which also shows a saver - flexible return, purchase at time of travel, not
valid on peak services, for 66UKP.

Tony

Old February 11th, 2004, 10:14 AM
Larry

Full details Gatwick-York including cross-London times and route are at the
German Rail site: http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/det...n/query.exe/en

I have tried repeatedly to send you this by e-mail to listed address and
alternatives your server provides, always rejected. It would have saved me
trouble and some hotel expense if you had had the courtesy to indicate that
your e-mail address is invalid.

Larry in Singapore (sea otter 6 at aol dot com)
Old February 11th, 2004, 10:20 AM
Nige

"Larry" wrote in message
Full details Gatwick-York including cross-London times and route are at

the
German Rail site:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/det...n/query.exe/en

I have tried repeatedly to send you this by e-mail to listed address and
alternatives your server provides, always rejected. It would have saved

me
trouble and some hotel expense if you had had the courtesy to indicate

that
your e-mail address is invalid.

Larry in Singapore (sea otter 6 at aol dot com)

Hey Larry, these Newsgroups are all about sharing information so that others
can see. (Am sending you a copy of this to your email address in case you
don't read.)