Spending a week driving between Munich and Frankfurt

Old April 7th, 2007, 02:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Cathy L[_2_]

Default Spending a week driving between Munich and Frankfurt

We have booked our trip for September. We are taking the 11 day Cosmos
tour from Frankfurt to Munich, then renting a car and driving around
for seven days. We will then fly home from Frankfurt.

What places are nice to see around this area? One place we plan to
stop is a town were we believe my ancestors came from. It is zip code
96185.

Thank you,

Cathy L
Old April 7th, 2007, 02:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"Cathy L" wrote in message
We have booked our trip for September. We are taking the 11 day Cosmos
tour from Frankfurt to Munich, then renting a car and driving around
for seven days. We will then fly home from Frankfurt.

What places are nice to see around this area?

Linderhof, Neuschwanstein, Hohenschwangau, Chiemsee castles.

Rothenburg (ob der Tauber)

Konigssee.

One place we plan to
stop is a town were we believe my ancestors came from. It is zip code
96185.

Frenshof by Bamberg. You're in lucj Banberg is worth half a day
stop

Old April 7th, 2007, 03:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge1

wow martin help !

"Martin" a écrit dans le message de news:
On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 14:27:07 +0100, "tim....."
wrote:

"Cathy L" wrote in message
. ..
We have booked our trip for September. We are taking the 11 day Cosmos
tour from Frankfurt to Munich, then renting a car and driving around
for seven days. We will then fly home from Frankfurt.

What places are nice to see around this area?

Linderhof, Neuschwanstein, Hohenschwangau, Chiemsee castles.

Rothenburg (ob der Tauber)

Konigssee.

One place we plan to
stop is a town were we believe my ancestors came from. It is zip code
96185.

Frenshof by Bamberg. You're in lucj Banberg is worth half a day
stop

Maybe it is obvious that if you go on an organised coach trip you get to
see the
places the organisers want you to see.

If they trouble to read the bumph that describes the holiday, Cathy and
Bill.
will know where these places are. I do
http://tripcentral.ca/trip/TOUR/COSM...MANY/2837.html

Detailed Tour Itinerary
Day # Description
1 Depart Canada
BOARD YOUR OVERNIGHT TRANSATLANTIC FLIGHT.
2 ARRIVAL IN FRANKFURT, GERMANY
Check into your hotel. The rest of the day is free for you to see some of
Frankfurt. Tonight meet your Tour Director and fellow travelers. (D)
3 FRANKFURT-HEIDELBERG-COLOGNE-RHINELAND AREA
Start the day by traveling to Heidelberg for a short stop. This city is
the
location of Germany's oldest and best-known university and that of the
famed
operetta "The Student Prince". Just a few more miles to the shores of the
Rhine
for a scenic drive. A few miles north to reach Cologne for a visit to its
massive and impressive cathedral. Overnight in this area. (B,D)
4 RHINELAND AREA-HAMBURG
Using the fast and comfortable motorway, journey northeast for a stop in
Bremen.
This member of the Hanseatic League is Germany's oldest seaport and was
already
trading with America in 1783. The Markplatz is well worth seeing since it
is
surrounded by the finest buildings in the city. Less than a two-hour drive
before reaching Hamburg for overnight. There'll be time for an optional
visit to
the famed Hamburg nightspots. (B)
5 HAMBURG-WITTENBERG-BERLIN
Start the day with an orientation drive to see some of Germany's greatest
maritime city. Later this morning a comfortable drive to Wittenberg, an
old
university town that is world famous for one of its teachers, Martin
Luther, the
man who started the Reformation. See the Town Hall and the market fountain
and a
statue of Luther himself. The great painter Lucas Cranach the elder lived
most
of his life in Wittenberg. Continue eastwards along the autobahn to reach
Berlin
in time to enjoy your first evening in the capital of Germany. (B)
6 BERLIN
No longer divided but every bit as fascinating. Once the city of contrasts
with
its West and East side separating two different worlds, Berlin, since the
wall
came down, has developed into a harmonious blend of old and new,
preserving its
old massive building, such as the State Opera House and the Brandenburg
Gate,
its neoclassic style boulevards such as the Kurfurstendamm and the "Unter
den
Linden", as well as creating brand new buildings in the most daring up to
date
architectural styles. It is now once again Germany's capital and one of
the most
lively and interesting cities of Europe from a cultural point of view. In
the
afternoon there's an optional excursion to historic Potsdam to visit Sans
Souci
Park, a marvel of landscape gardening and architectural wonders over an
area of
740 acres, and a visit to Cecilienhof Castle. (B)
7 BERLIN-DRESDEN-NUREMBERG
Travel southwest this morning bypassing Leipzig for some sightseeing in
Dresden,
the old capital of Saxony, at one time rightly called "The Florence on the
Elbe." Although almost totally destroyed by World War II bombing, Dresden
has
since been completely reconstructed and restored to its original beauty.
See the
Zwinger Carillon Pavillon and much more of this city on your included
sightseeing. Further south into Bavaria for overnight in Nuremberg. (B,D)
8 NUREMBERG-ROMANTIC ROAD-ROTHENBURG AREA
Start the day with an orientation drive to see some of Nuremberg's
highlights.
This was one of the most beautiful medieval cities in Germany before it
was
almost totally destroyed in World War II. However you will see the
surviving
historical highlights. Later this morning travel westwards, then south
along the
beautiful scenery of the Romantic Road to visit Rothenburg and overnight
in this
area. (B,D)
9 ROTHENBURG AREA-NEUSCHWANSTEIN CASTLE-MUNICH
Further south today almost to the Austrian border to visit Neuschwanstein
Castle, perched in a dominant position overlooking the frontier town of
Fussen.
In the afternoon travel the relatively short distance northwards to
Munich,
Bavaria's capital and one of Germany's best loved cities. (B,D)
10 MUNICH
This morning take advantage of the included sightseeing tour and see some
of the
highlights of this city, known as Germany's "Secret Capital." Stop awhile
admire the beauty of its main square, the Marienplatz. There will be time
to sip
one of its most famous products, beer. Take advantage of the optional
excursions
available. (B)
11 Depart for Home
YOUR HOMEBOUND FLIGHT ARRIVES THE SAME DAY. (B)

Good if you like bus travel!
--

Martin

Old April 7th, 2007, 04:05 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Cathy L[_2_]

Martin,

God, you can't be THAT stupid! Obviously I am asking about places to
visit, by car, between Munich-Bamberg-Frankfurt. Of course, I know the
places we will see on the bus tour.

Cathy L

On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 15:35:45 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 14:27:07 +0100, "tim....." wrote:

"Cathy L" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

highlights of this city, known as Germany’s “Secret Capital.” Stop awhile to

Old April 7th, 2007, 05:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Joe Pessarra

"Cathy L" wrote in message

Martin,

God, you can't be THAT stupid! Obviously I am asking about places to
visit, by car, between Munich-Bamberg-Frankfurt. Of course, I know the
places we will see on the bus tour.

Cathy L

But, Martin's description of the Cosmos tour does help the rest of us in not
advising you to go to the same places to which the tour goes.

We am envious. My wife and I are missing our usual trip to Bavaria this
year to visit our relatives. So, if you make it over to Amberg (90 miles
southeast of 96185 Schönbrunn), go have a few beers for us in the
restaurant atop Mariahilfberg, and get a good view of a beautiful little
city.

On your way back to Frankfurt, you could stop by Würzburg for a visit to the
Residenz. See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W%C3%BC..._W.C3.BCrzburg

As well as Aschaffenburg. See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aschaffenburg#Sights

Hope you have a great time, and find some relatives.

Joe in Texas

Old April 7th, 2007, 07:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"Joe Pessarra" wrote in message

"Cathy L" wrote in message

Martin,

God, you can't be THAT stupid! Obviously I am asking about places to
visit, by car, between Munich-Bamberg-Frankfurt. Of course, I know the
places we will see on the bus tour.

Cathy L

But, Martin's description of the Cosmos tour does help the rest of us in
not
advising you to go to the same places to which the tour goes.

I agree, when she said F to M, I never for one minute thought
it was going to be via Hamburg and Berlin.

tim

Old April 7th, 2007, 08:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Cathy L[_2_]

On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 11:16:21 -0500, "Joe Pessarra"
wrote:

"Cathy L" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Joe,

Thank you so much. Those towns look wonderful!

Cathy L
Old April 7th, 2007, 11:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
d.g.s.

On 4/7/2007 6:07 AM Cathy L jumped down, turned around, and wrote:

We have booked our trip for September. We are taking the 11 day Cosmos
tour from Frankfurt to Munich, then renting a car and driving around
for seven days. We will then fly home from Frankfurt.

There is a lot to see, and if you like beer, there's even more. Seven
days gives you plenty of time to have a good time in the region.

What places are nice to see around this area?

"This area?" Munich to Frankfurt covers a lot of area, and there's
even more with side trips.

One place we plan to
stop is a town were we believe my ancestors came from. It is zip code
96185.

That would be Schönbrunn im Steigerwald. It's hardly even a town; it's
a village in the Steigerwald (Steiger Forest), west of Bamberg, and has
less than 1000 people. Neighboring villages are even smaller. However,
in September, the weather will probably be good, and the remaining local
brewery (Wernsdörfer) will have outdoor tables, and the local beer
gardens ("Bierkeller") will be open.

Take an exceptionally good map with you, especially if you've never
driven there. The easy way to get there is to take the B22 highway
west from Bamberg; the short route is via Stegaurach and Walsdorf,
but the more obvious easier to follow route is to continue down the
B22 to Burgebrach, then turn up the road and drive on up to
Schönbrunn. Burgebrach is a nice small town and worth a stop,
particularly for dinner at the local brewery-guesthouse, Brauerei
Schwan. The Schwan also has overnight accomodation.

Otherwise ... cities like Bamberg, Nürnberg, and Würzburg will be
good stopping points. If you want to go out of your way during the
early part of your drive, Regensburg is also worth a stop, as is
Landshut. If you stay in Bamberg, a drive up to Burgkunstadt and
Vierzehnheiligen church would be good, and if you want to see an
old town that is far less touristy than Rothenburg o. d. Tauber,
visit Sesslach.
--
dgs
Old April 8th, 2007, 02:22 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Joe Pessarra

wrote:

On your way back to Frankfurt, you could stop by Würzburg for a visit to

the
Residenz. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W%C3%BC..._in_W.C3.BCrzb

urg
Joe in Texas

Joe,

Thank you so much. Those towns look wonderful!

Cathy L

Forgot to mention that only a few miles north of Würzburg is the town of
Veitshöchheim, which has a nice little palace to visit that has some Rococo
sculptures in the gardens. We have never taken a tour of the little palace,
but the gardens are very interesting.
http://www.schloesser.bayern.de/engl...ts/veitsho.htm

Joe

Old April 8th, 2007, 01:54 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Cathy L[_2_]

On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 15:53:47 -0700, "d.g.s."
wrote:

[...]

Oh wow! Thank you so much for the exact directions to Shönbrunn. We
had heard that my father's family came from a town named Shönbrunn.
When we looked it up though, there were at least 25 Shönbrunn's in
Germany. Then we used Das Telefonbuch. It showed the most "Kregler's"
live in that one. So, we plan to knock on a couple of doors in that
neighborhood.

Also, my husband says that there is an Army base in Bamberg. We think
that a lot of people around there will speak English.

Cathy L