Toronto in July

Old March 27th, 2008, 01:42 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Anne Chambers[_2_]

Default Toronto in July

I'm spending 2 nights (effectively one full day) in Toronto (Holiday Inn
on King) in late July en-route to a family reunion in Saskatchewan,
arriving & departing by train. I'm 60+, travelling alone and not very
active - can anyone recommend places to visit during the day ?
--
Anne
South Australia
Old March 27th, 2008, 01:55 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
TheNewsGuy(Mike)

Anne Chambers wrote:
I'm spending 2 nights (effectively one full day) in Toronto (Holiday Inn
on King) in late July en-route to a family reunion in Saskatchewan,
arriving & departing by train. I'm 60+, travelling alone and not very
active - can anyone recommend places to visit during the day ?

What are your interests? Museums, nature, parks, tourist sites,
shopping, sports,... ????

Many people will have a lot of good ideas if you can help narrow the
field a little.

--
===========================
Sawyer Nicknames http://sawyer.xtreemhost.com/
Old March 27th, 2008, 03:40 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith

Anne Chambers wrote:

I'm spending 2 nights (effectively one full day) in Toronto (Holiday Inn
on King) in late July en-route to a family reunion in Saskatchewan,
arriving & departing by train. I'm 60+, travelling alone and not very
active - can anyone recommend places to visit during the day ?

That depends on what you like to do. The Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO) is
just a few blocks away, and the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) is within
walking distance or you might want to take the subway up to Bloor St. There
is interesting shopping along Bloor St. and the Yorkville area just north of
Bloor. If you want a peaceful day on the waterfront you can head over to the
islands. The Danforth is a fun place to eat out. There are dozens of Greek
restaurants along there. You can head over to the St. Lawrence market.
There is also interesting shopping and dining along Queen St. West. If you
like zoos, there is a nice one up in the northeast corner of the city. It is
quite a way from your hotel.

Old March 27th, 2008, 08:18 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Anne Chambers[_2_]

TheNewsGuy(Mike) wrote:
Anne Chambers wrote:
I'm spending 2 nights (effectively one full day) in Toronto (Holiday
Inn on King) in late July en-route to a family reunion in
Saskatchewan, arriving & departing by train. I'm 60+, travelling
alone and not very active - can anyone recommend places to visit
during the day ?

What are your interests? Museums, nature, parks, tourist sites,
shopping, sports,... ????

Many people will have a lot of good ideas if you can help narrow the
field a little.

Thanks for the response. I'm unable to walk very far or very long which
limits me a lot. Museums, nature parks, tourist sites to a certain
extent, not shopping or sports about sums it up.

--
Anne Chambers,
South Australia
Old March 27th, 2008, 08:19 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Anne Chambers[_2_]

Dave Smith wrote:
Anne Chambers wrote:

[...]

Many thanks Dave - I'll bear those in mind.

Old March 27th, 2008, 09:40 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
TheNewsGuy(Mike)

Anne Chambers wrote:
TheNewsGuy(Mike) wrote:
Anne Chambers wrote:
I'm spending 2 nights (effectively one full day) in Toronto (Holiday
Inn on King) in late July en-route to a family reunion in
Saskatchewan, arriving & departing by train. I'm 60+, travelling
alone and not very active - can anyone recommend places to visit
during the day ?

What are your interests? Museums, nature, parks, tourist sites,
shopping, sports,... ????

Many people will have a lot of good ideas if you can help narrow the
field a little.

Thanks for the response. I'm unable to walk very far or very long which
limits me a lot. Museums, nature parks, tourist sites to a certain
extent, not shopping or sports about sums it up.

Here are some suggestions....

If walking is a problem perhaps the Trolley Tour...
http://www.torontotours.net/tours/to...m?tour_id=1406

Also - many attractions...
===========================

AGO
====
Art Gallery of Ontario
http://www.ago.net/navigation/html/index.cfm

ROM
=====
Royal Ontario Museum
http://www.rom.on.ca

CN Tower
========
ride up to the observation deck - look out
(Not my cup of tea)

Skydome .. Ooops, now The Rogers Centre
Take the tour or see a game
http://www.rogerscentre.com/about/tours/index.html

Steam Whistle Brewery
=====================
Tours start at 1 pm. $4/person with a taste
(just south of the CN Tower)

Air Canada Centre
=================
http://toronto.com/E/V/TORON/0020/63/92/

--
===========================
Old March 27th, 2008, 11:24 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

"TheNewsGuy(Mike)" wrote in message
Anne Chambers wrote:
TheNewsGuy(Mike) wrote:
Anne Chambers wrote:
I'm spending 2 nights (effectively one full day) in Toronto (Holiday
Inn on King) in late July en-route to a family reunion in Saskatchewan,
arriving & departing by train. I'm 60+, travelling alone and not very
active - can anyone recommend places to visit during the day ?

What are your interests? Museums, nature, parks, tourist sites,
shopping, sports,... ????

Many people will have a lot of good ideas if you can help narrow the
field a little.

Thanks for the response. I'm unable to walk very far or very long which
limits me a lot. Museums, nature parks, tourist sites to a certain
extent, not shopping or sports about sums it up.

Here are some suggestions....

If walking is a problem perhaps the Trolley Tour...
http://www.torontotours.net/tours/to...m?tour_id=1406

TROLLEY Tour?? That's NOT a trolley bus at that web site. That is a
double-decker, foul-smelling, polluting DIESEL bus.

Also - many attractions...
===========================

AGO
====

Old March 28th, 2008, 05:39 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mike from Ottawa[_2_]

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 11:40:42 -0400, Dave Smith
wrote:

Anne Chambers wrote:

[...]

I'd agree with all that. Keep in mind, too, that the air quality in
Toronto in July can be foul.

I've been there in the summer -- walking outside for a few minutes and
I felt like I needed a shower. July is usually the hottest month and
can be 30 C (much more when the humidity is factored-in) with a high
pollution index.

Many of the above attractions, apart from the zoo, are a short
distance from your hotel. A taxi might be best.

Old March 28th, 2008, 03:40 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith

wrote:

Anne Chambers wrote:

[...]

That is true. The last two weeks of July are generally the hottest and most humid
time of the year. I live in the Niagara peninsula where it is even more humid.
We find in intolerable, but other people are more accustomed to that.

Old March 28th, 2008, 09:28 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Anne Chambers[_2_]

wrote:

Anne Chambers wrote:

[...]

Many thanks for all the responses - very useful information. If it's
humid, I'm glad I'll only be there for a day!