Bomb blasts in Thailand - perspective required.

Old January 1st, 2007, 10:58 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Broomer

Default Bomb blasts in Thailand - perspective required.

This is a trollish question I know, but I need to ask it to set my
future wife at ease,
We've partially booked a Honeymoon there for March.

In light of recent events, I'm looking for opinion and facts from
people in the area.

We're staying around Chiang Mai, Bangkok and Phuket.

Thanks in advance guys.

Kind regards,

Ka Kwok

Old January 2nd, 2007, 12:06 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
A Mate

Broomer - no-one can guarantee anything anywhere these days; but I believe
Thailand (except for the South, near the Malaysian border) to be safer than
any major European city eg. London, Madrid.

ups.com...

Old January 2nd, 2007, 12:10 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Tchiowa

Broomer wrote:
This is a trollish question I know, but I need to ask it to set my
future wife at ease,
We've partially booked a Honeymoon there for March.

In light of recent events, I'm looking for opinion and facts from
people in the area.

We're staying around Chiang Mai, Bangkok and Phuket.

Thanks in advance guys.

Kind regards,

Ka Kwok

If you're looking for a place in the world that's completely safe, lock
yourself in your room and never come out.

Thailand is as safe if not safer than any country in the world. I've
been living here full time over a year and spending at least 1/4 of my
time here for the past 2 decades.

It's safe.

Old January 2nd, 2007, 12:14 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Broomer

Thanks for the response.
That I know.
Just wondering what the general mood is right in the city.
I'm only guessing that it's a bit edgy.

There's more chance of me getting belted by a stubby then being bombed.

Even my future wife isn't that worried, it's just the in laws.

Broomer

Old January 2nd, 2007, 12:20 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Broomer

Bud, Happy new year to you.
Thanks for the repsonse. I know what you mean.
I'm posting more or less just to get the mood that's all.

(Also on a selfish note is that I'm hoping for some cancellations as
the hotel I wanted was booked out for that time).

Anyway, so basically it's safer then Melbourne.

Good to hear.

Take care.

Kind regards,

Ka Kwok

Old January 2nd, 2007, 12:27 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
A Mate

We were there last in April - when the 'civil unrest' associated with the
election was at its peak. We never felt unsafe or threatened anywhere.

I suspect whoever set the New Year bombs has now delivered their message.

oups.com...

Old January 2nd, 2007, 03:08 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Broomer

Cool.
On another note then.
You wouldn't happen to know any of the following would you:
1) Good Vegetarian restaurant around Bangkok
2) Wedding photos place (how much)

Thanks bud,

Ka Kwok

Old January 2nd, 2007, 06:16 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Tchiowa

Broomer wrote:
Bud, Happy new year to you.
Thanks for the repsonse. I know what you mean.
I'm posting more or less just to get the mood that's all.

(Also on a selfish note is that I'm hoping for some cancellations as
the hotel I wanted was booked out for that time).

Depends on your hotel. The papers say there is a mass exodus from Khao
San Road. But I haven't heard anything about the medium to upscale
hotels losing customers.

Old January 2nd, 2007, 11:00 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

"Tchiowa" kirjoitti
glegroups.com...

Broomer wrote:
Bud, Happy new year to you.
Thanks for the repsonse. I know what you mean.
I'm posting more or less just to get the mood that's all.

(Also on a selfish note is that I'm hoping for some cancellations as
the hotel I wanted was booked out for that time).

Depends on your hotel. The papers say there is a mass exodus from Khao
San Road. But I haven't heard anything about the medium to upscale
hotels losing customers.

Customers to "upscale" hotels believe they are better secured against nasty
blasts? Those customers are vaccinated against gun powder?

Old January 2nd, 2007, 08:39 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Broomer

Thanks for the responses.
I'm staying at something a bit upscale so there's at least a higher,
perceived, level of security there. Knowing there are people a bit
paranoid, I was maybe thinking that there might be a few cancellations.

However I won't be spending all week at the hotel.
Judging by the sound of things, I think it should be okay.

Just hate the thought of trying to rebook the whole honeymoon over
again. If things goes bad, we're thinking about travelling to Vietnam.

Thanks again,

Ka Kwok

Markku Grönroos wrote:
"Tchiowa" kirjoitti