Eurostar generates ten times less CO2 than flying the same routes

Old April 3rd, 2007, 08:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

Default Eurostar generates ten times less CO2 than flying the same routes

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message
.fi...

"William Black" kirjoitti

"Hatunen" wrote in message

Also by the by, this thread is about short-haul flights, not
London-Prague flights. Unless that is a short haul flight, which
is what I'm asking.

Anything in Europe is a short haul flight.

I guess you knew that distance from Helsinki to Baghdad is shorter than to
Lisbon.

So?

Who cares?

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old April 3rd, 2007, 08:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge1

aah michaelnewport's boyfriend is back
More spam ahead

"Martin" a écrit dans le message de news:
On 3 Apr 2007 05:20:08 -0700, "ocelot" wrote:

Eurostar generates ten times less CO2 than flying the same routes

Taking into account the CO2 generated during manufacture of the rails,
boring
the tunnels and other mundane things that are for some reason are
excluded?

The amount of CO2 generated flying the same route is insignificant.
--

Martin

Old April 3rd, 2007, 08:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge1

Cmon martin more !

"Martin" a écrit dans le message de news:
On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 17:51:24 +0100, "nightjar" nightjar@insert my surname
here.uk.com wrote:

"ocelot" wrote in message
roups.com...
Eurostar generates ten times less CO2 than flying the same routes

Having used Eurostar once, I intend to fly in future.

Haven't got your own plane(s) Colin?

--

Martin

Old April 3rd, 2007, 08:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Markku Grönroos

"William Black" kirjoitti

Anything in Europe is a short haul flight.

I guess you knew that distance from Helsinki to Baghdad is shorter than
to Lisbon.

So?

Who cares?

I don't know. There are short haul flights and then flights of other sort.

Old April 3rd, 2007, 09:12 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

In article ,
Hatunen wrote:

On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 17:51:24 +0100, "nightjar" nightjar@insert
my surname here.uk.com wrote:

"ocelot" wrote in message
oups.com...
Eurostar generates ten times less CO2 than flying the same routes

Having used Eurostar once, I intend to fly in future.

From London to Paris. Hm. A lot cheaper to fly, but not time
saving.

Unless you've flown into LHR and want to go to Paris right away.

If you could board Eurostar from Heathrow ...
Old April 3rd, 2007, 09:35 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom Peel[_5_]

ocelot schrieb:
Eurostar generates ten times less CO2 than flying the same routes

At Eurostar being green is important so we've commissioned some
detailed research on the subject. Our findings show that passengers
who fly between London, Paris and Brussels generate ten times more
emissions of the greenhouse gas carbon dioxide (CO2) than travellers
who go by rail.

Yes, but if Eurostar is powered by electricity, and that electricity
comes from a French nuclear power station, how come it produces any CO2
at all?

The research was carried out by a consortium of Paul Watkiss
Associates and AEA Technology Environment. It uses detailed data on
electricity supplies, power station emissions and transmission losses;
Eurostar and airline load factors; and the range of aircraft and
engine types and emissions.

The figures are the most detailed ever produced and are based on
actual passenger numbers, exact distances of rail and air routes,
actual aircraft types in use on different routes, and the mix of
electricity sources used by Eurostar trains.

Old April 3rd, 2007, 09:39 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
ocelot

On Apr 3, 9:20 pm, Martin wrote:
On 3 Apr 2007 10:24:54 -0700, "ocelot" wrote:

On Apr 3, 6:51 pm, "nightjar" nightjar@insert my surname
here.uk.com wrote:
"ocelot" wrote in message

roups.com...

Eurostar generates ten times less CO2 than flying the same routes

Having used Eurostar once, I intend to fly in future.

Colin Bignell

and the reason is .....

... something to do with freedom of choice? Why didn't you pedal to Amstelveen
if you feel so strongly about CO2?
--

Martin

I prefer the train........

Old April 3rd, 2007, 09:45 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
ocelot

On Apr 3, 9:35 pm, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 10:10:56 -0700, Hatunen wrote:
On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 18:19:59 +0200, Martin
wrote:

On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 09:10:57 -0700, Hatunen wrote:

On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 17:38:01 +0200, Martin
wrote:

On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 16:26:11 +0100, "William Black"
wrote:

"Hatunen" wrote in message
om...
On 3 Apr 2007 08:08:59 -0700, "Iceman"
wrote:

On Apr 3, 9:02 am, "William Black"
wrote:
Two weeks ago, it cost my daughter more for a single train ticket from Stoke on
Trent to Scarborough than for a return flight to Amsterdam from Manchester.

So long as you are comparing apples and apples the comparison
would be fair. But there's a tendency to cite costs of an advance
air fare against the cost of not-so advance rail fares.

This was the cheapest train fare for the route available it's more than the
average airfare from Manchester to A'dam.

I suspect using UK rail fares for this is probably apples and
oranges. I see that trip requires a change of trains and train
companies.

and ? Even the trip from Manchester to Scarborough costs more than from
Manchester to A'dam by air.

If you believe what *you* read in the press, UK railways have the highest
average charge per mile in Europe, based on how many miles you can travel for
GBP10.
I leave it to you to locate the source of this information.
--

Martin

is there VAT on jet fuel yet ?

Old April 3rd, 2007, 09:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Deeply Filled Mortician

Make credence recognised that on Tue, 03 Apr 2007 17:30:09 +0200,
Martin has scripted:

On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 08:02:24 -0700, Hatunen wrote:

On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 16:04:17 +0200, Martin
wrote:

On 3 Apr 2007 06:52:27 -0700, "ocelot" wrote:

Martin is just being argumentative......again

I was wondering why you cut and paste these articles to rte.

It certainly seems appropriate to travel in Europe.

Do you believe all this crap?

First you need to demonstrate it really is crap instead of doing
all that arm waving.

What arm waving? Somebody cuts and pastes an article which has no references to
how or by whom the figures were obtained and I am supposed to accept it?
Until I see a scientific basis for such articles I treat them as crap.

I treat them as crap until they have circulated a bit, and there has
been some consensus reached by the professional community. It's a pity
the rest of the world hasn't figured out that it works like this.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old April 3rd, 2007, 09:49 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
ocelot

On Apr 3, 10:50 pm, Deeply Filled Mortician
wrote:
Make credence recognised that on 3 Apr 2007 09:09:23 -0700, "ocelot"
has scripted:

On Apr 3, 4:11 pm, Martin wrote:
On 03 Apr 2007 13:47:39 GMT, Bert Hyman wrote:
I was simply asking whether you want to make similar
adjustments when talking about air travel.

I was asking for clarification of the article that our nerd in Belgium cut and
pasted. The same nerd flew to and from Holland weekly, when he could have made
the same trip by train.
--

Martin

what r u talking about ??