Cruise Insurance Travel Agent vs. Cruise Co.

Old July 5th, 2008, 07:07 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Nonnymus[_4_]

Default Cruise Insurance Travel Agent vs. Cruise Co.

frijoli wrote:

You're still paying for it, you just don't realize it.

Clay

This is very true. When working in an office, there were several gals
who virtually lived at their Dr.'s office and visited chiropractors
weekly for "adjustments." Their attitude was that if it was a covered
thing, that it was OK. They didn't understand or care that running up
the bill affected us all. The insurer takes an annual look at the
overall premium paid in by the employer and employees as a whole, then
adjusts premium accordingly. If a company has some kooks whose life is
wrapped around chiropractors, adjustments, rolfing or "alternative
medicine," then everybody pays for it. Nothing is free.

--
Nonny

Nonnymus
I'm not who you think I am. I'm not who
I think I am. I am what I think you think I am.
Old July 5th, 2008, 07:37 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Warren[_1_]

On Jul 5, 10:58*am, "Jr." wrote:
This is about the fifth time I have seen someone write about their insurance
coverage not being valid outside the US.
You need to change companies.
Our insurance has always been valid on the ship and on the islands.

Does your insurance company provide medical evacuation coverage? Will
they pay for expenses related to leaving the cruise and returning
home?

Warrne
Old July 5th, 2008, 08:00 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
BobEdwards

On Jul 5, 8:34 am, " wrote:
The most important consideration in selecting travel insurance is that
most cruise line policies do not cover previously existing conditions,
whereas independent travel insurance usually does, provided that the
policy is purchased within fourteen days following the payment of your
initial deposit.

On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 23:22:03 -0400, Sue Mullen
wrote:

Tom K wrote:
"Carol Eskra" wrote in message
I totally agree with you that in the future we will use a different t.a.
Would you believe we have given this agency a great deal of business, so
they were totally out of line to say "there is nothing we can do."

My daughter-in-law really didn't follow up like she should have. She is
a wife, mother and c.p.a. executive so she is very busy. She made the
comment that "time is money." Guess she has more money than time! LOL

She could have also tried submitting the charges to her company medical
insurance. We did that a number of years ago when our daughter had to go to
the doctor on Century, and my company medical insurance covered the charges.

That depends on if her cruise insurance gave primary or secondary coverage.

sue

Since my SO and I are in our relatively advanced senior years we have
had a number of medical issues so we wanted cruise insurance that
covered preexisting conditions. We didn't want to buy until the time
of final payment because we might change our plans between the time of
booking and final payment and, if we had bought the insurance at the
time of booking, we'd be out the money that we paid for the
insurance. I researched insuremytrip and found one company, HTH
Worldwide, which has a policy which covers preexisting conditions if
the insurance is purchased within 10 days of final payment.
Old July 5th, 2008, 08:37 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Warren wrote:
On Jul 5, 10:58 am, "Jr." wrote:
This is about the fifth time I have seen someone write about their insurance
coverage not being valid outside the US.
You need to change companies.
Our insurance has always been valid on the ship and on the islands.

Does your insurance company provide medical evacuation coverage? Will
they pay for expenses related to leaving the cruise and returning
home?

Jr. has said he buys cruise insurance from Princess, so that isn't an
issue for him.

sue
Old July 5th, 2008, 08:39 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
"Jr." wrote:

You need to change companies.

If you can. Medicare doesn't pay outside the US. Don't know of any of
the supplementals that would since they pay based on Medicare
restrictions.

Also, if your coverage does not extend outside the lower 48 find out if you
can get a rider for two weeks to cover yourselves outside the 48 states.
Some companies will have them available.

They pretty much have to extend to all 50 states.
Old July 5th, 2008, 08:42 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
Rosalie B. wrote:

BUT --- buying insurance outside the group coverage umbrella of an
employer is VERY expensive because the employer DOES pay part of the
cost of the insurance. If you use COBRA for instance, it is double
what it would cost through the employer.

Technically you are paying both parts (plus 3%) instead of just yours.
This can be a sorta eye opener if your company pays a hefty portion.
However, it doesn't always double.
Old July 5th, 2008, 08:43 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

Nonnymus wrote:

frijoli wrote:

You're still paying for it, you just don't realize it.

This is very true. When working in an office, there were several gals
who virtually lived at their Dr.'s office and visited chiropractors
weekly for "adjustments." Their attitude was that if it was a covered
thing, that it was OK. They didn't understand or care that running up
the bill affected us all. The insurer takes an annual look at the
overall premium paid in by the employer and employees as a whole, then
adjusts premium accordingly. If a company has some kooks whose life is
wrapped around chiropractors, adjustments, rolfing or "alternative
medicine," then everybody pays for it. Nothing is free.

In my case I worked for the state government. A very big employer. My
husband was military. An even bigger employer.

So while it may be true that everybody pays, it is also true that
those people that are conceived to be most able to pay will pay the
least because they have the most clout.
Old July 5th, 2008, 08:48 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

BobEdwards wrote:

Since my SO and I are in our relatively advanced senior years we have
had a number of medical issues so we wanted cruise insurance that
covered preexisting conditions. We didn't want to buy until the time
of final payment because we might change our plans between the time of
booking and final payment and, if we had bought the insurance at the
time of booking, we'd be out the money that we paid for the
insurance. I researched insuremytrip and found one company, HTH
Worldwide, which has a policy which covers preexisting conditions if
the insurance is purchased within 10 days of final payment.

There are a couple of companies you can buy insurance from just around
the time of final payment and have pre-existing coverage. Doing it this
way is usually very expensive.

We started using Travelex Insurance and buy it within the week or so
period to get pre-existing coverage. It is reasonably priced and if we
change our plans we can use the same policy again and it will still have
pre-existing coverage.

We alway bought with pre-existing coverage, but recently there are
health issues that make this much more important to us. Kevin called
Travelex to confirm this information. You might want to look at them on
insuremytrip.com and call them yourself to confirm what we found out.

sue

Old July 5th, 2008, 11:57 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Warren[_1_]

On Jul 5, 3:37*pm, Sue Mullen wrote:
Jr. has said he buys cruise insurance from Princess, so that isn't an
issue for him.

But that wasn't the point I was responding to.

Old July 6th, 2008, 01:25 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

Kurt Ullman wrote:

In article ,
"Jr." wrote:

You need to change companies.

If you can. Medicare doesn't pay outside the US. Don't know of any of
the supplementals that would since they pay based on Medicare
restrictions.

Our insurance isn't based on Medicare, and they did pay up to 80% when
we had a problem in the Bahamas. Medicare paid zero until we got back
to the states.